C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Those with Carlsson RS spoiler please help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GL550
Those with Carlsson RS spoiler please help.

First, what are the real Carlsson spoilers made of? The one I have seems like it is made of fiberglass. It is pretty heavy and hard, not flexible. The Carlsson name and info is under the spoiler though, although not very clear. I was told that it was real, but now I'm thinking that it isn't. The curves are fairly clean and the surfaces are pretty smooth...which makes me wonder. It is not flexible at all though.

Next, was fitment good for your spoilers? This spoiler's fitment seems to be off as you can see in the pictures. The middle is fine, but the two sides are far from sitting flush on the car. I'm not sure if I can bend it since the spoiler is pretty hard.

How did you mount your spoilers? With just double sided tape?

You can see in the pics of the spoiler that the curve of the spoiler forms a kind of curve upwards instead of following the curve of the trunk which curves downward.

Was this how your spoiler was? I want to make sure this thing will fit before I get it painted. It almost seems like it won't fit at all.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:59 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
my friend has the real carlsson RS spoiler and yes they are fiberglass, but i'm not sure if he had any fitment issue. His spoiler was glued on. I'll find out more later.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:50 PM

2012 GL550
Great. Thanks FrankW. I'm not sure if the real ones are tough like this one. It feels very solid like I can't really bend it much.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is not yet completed
did you get this spoiler from CSportant? go to the body and let them handle it.. they should kno what there doing
Old 06-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Did you buy this from AUTOBLZ? If so, it is not real. They are replicas. I had the same fitment issues. I ended up having a bodyshop fix custom screws onto the spoiler and have them drill into the trunk. It's not as clean as I'd like, but it still look aight. I'm gonna have it changed sometime soon. Take a look at the links for my "mods" in my signature and I'm pretty sure there is a pic of the small gap I have between the spoiler and the trunk.

At some point, I'm definitely going to have this re-done though.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:24 PM

2012 GL550
Yeah, I checked with the body shop and they won't be able to get it to work. Its barely flexible. I'm think screws would work too, but I don't want to have to drill into the trunk lid. Also, I'm guessing that after awhile it lift or something will crack. The center of the trunk lid would also have an indentation from the center of the spoiler if the ends were forced down with that much force. Another problem is that even if the top was forced down flush, the bottom needs to be pushed in against the trunk, which means more screws. I'm guessing it would take 4 good sized screws to keep it down and I don't want to do that.

Your spoiler looks good though. Can't really tell how its installed, looks pretty clean in the pictures.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
It would be nice if you could post/say where and/or who you bought this from in order to advise/help the membership. $0.02
Old 06-03-2005, 01:58 AM

2012 GL550
Ermm, sorry I did leave that out. I bought it from a a friend of a friend. Not sure where he got it from, but he mentioned that be bought it from a local store around him awhile back. I know that its not from Autoblz. If I find out the exact store name, I will let you know.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EUropean Freaks
Originally Posted by bnz616
First, what are the real Carlsson spoilers made of? The one I have seems like it is made of fiberglass. It is pretty heavy and hard, not flexible. The Carlsson name and info is under the spoiler though, although not very clear. I was told that it was real, but now I'm thinking that it isn't. The curves are fairly clean and the surfaces are pretty smooth...which makes me wonder. It is not flexible at all though.

Next, was fitment good for your spoilers? This spoiler's fitment seems to be off as you can see in the pictures. The middle is fine, but the two sides are far from sitting flush on the car. I'm not sure if I can bend it since the spoiler is pretty hard.

How did you mount your spoilers? With just double sided tape?

You can see in the pics of the spoiler that the curve of the spoiler forms a kind of curve upwards instead of following the curve of the trunk which curves downward.

Was this how your spoiler was? I want to make sure this thing will fit before I get it painted. It almost seems like it won't fit at all.

guys it seems that the CRS trunk lid that you bought its been discontinue.

I develop new materials called gpfrp and it turns fine.

you can take a look at the fs: aftermarkets bodykits in classified threads.
there is a pics crs trunk lid in the car. nothings wrong.sit perfectly.

thnx
Old 06-07-2005, 05:44 AM

2012 GL550
Is the new spoiler you now carry much lighter and much more flexible? The spoiler I was testing was quite heavy. Also, will you be guaranteeing fitment? If it does not fit, will I be able to send it back to you? Also, with the new material, can the spoiler be mounted with only double-sided tape? I don't want to have to use screws to hold it in place.

Thanks.