C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Kleemann Pulley Ring for Sale

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230k
Originally posted by Buellwinkle

Sorry, that's way over my head. Call Lee at ASP, he's an engineer and can explain it. I know when I asked him they took that into consideration and made it heavier than they could of to maintain a balance between the flywheel and pulley and to dampen some vibrations. In my non-expert opinion, any aftermarket pulley you get that I know of will have different weight (more or less) than the 9lbs factory pulley. I've ridden Harleys for years and that's the most unbalanced engine I know of and it keeps on running. I put a harmonic balancer in mine to smooth it out to save my hands and butt from falling asleep but not to make the crankshaft or pistons last longer.
Actually the main reason to balance an engine is twofold. First the engine can rev higher without whipping itself apart due to the crank shaft flexing and snapping. Second, all the power created is transfered down the crank to drive the car rather than being lost internally (the flexing crank uses up energy and the increased friction on the bearings does too). The weight does matter but the rotational balance is very important too.
Old 06-28-2002, 11:51 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mdp c230k
I think the looks a purely psychological, no one likes to pay a lot of money for a piece of ugly metal to put on thier beautiful MB! It should show the care in design and manufacturing befitting a fine car such as ours.

Again, what about balance concerns with the pulley. Aren't the crank pulleys harmonically balanced on the stock unit? If so, won't a new pulley upset the balance? On all the engines I've built when the crank/pulley/rods/pistons came back from balancing the pulley usually had some material taken off to balance the system. Does MB do this? Kleemann...Buellwinkle...anyone...?
MBZ as well as every other OEM has a tolerance parts must be within- in this case mass. All rotoating components will be +/- some amount based on the part in question. Pistons can vary by a few grams, same with con rods.

Certain manufacturing methods provide more consistant results than others- MBZ parts do not vary in the same way as say a Chevy 350. As Lynn mentioned as long as the parts are within spec- it goes together.

The "damper" is a dead mass on the crank pulley through which no belt force is transmitted- it is "tuned" to a freq. This freq happens twice in the rev range of an I4 engine. The sole purpose of this damper is to reduce the vibrations of the engine at these two points. Are these forces enough to break the crank is the damper is removed?- no. Its a question of building an inherently bumpy engine in a way that attempts to smooth it out. You cannot tell any difference with the stock pulley or alloy one- I think even Buellwinkle will back me up on this one.
Old 06-28-2002, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't tell the difference from idle to redline on my car with the ASP pulley vs. stock in noise or vibrations other than additional S/C whine during hard accelleration. This also applies to an SLK230 I drove with a Kleemann alloy pulley, before and after.

I would think that if the pulley caused a heavy object like the crankshaft to vibrate or shake I would notice it.
Old 06-28-2002, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 K
Re: aesthetics

Originally posted by Mike T.
a morbidly obese guy will see his ***** more often than you'll see an installed Kompressor pulley.
Thanks for the visual.

BT