C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

HK amp in '05

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Banville
The stock radio is used for both "standard" and "upgraded" audio systems. It has amps built in for driving the speakers when used in the standard system. When used in the upgraded system, it connects to a trunk mounted amp vis fiber optic connection. I stopped by my local MB dealer and got a print out of the 2005 stereo's wiring diagram. Unfortunately, the list of connections on the back of the radio included in the diagram doesn't show standard, electrical line-level outputs
Hello Jim,

What did you do to upgrade your standard audio system,
I read your eurlier thread:

"Thanks, but I want no bass box/tube in the trunk. I'm only looking for some bass fill, not "hear it down the block" booming bass
If I can't fit a good 10" or 8" free-air sub in the rear shelf, with an amplifier hidden under the carpet trim, I'll just stick w/ stock stereo system."

And i'm in the same place as you are, I'm just missing a bit of base fill in the back, it would be sufficient to have a small amp for the standard sub. Without a power switch from the radio I think it will be difficult to place one because the amp will always be on right?

But are you saying in your last Thread that the amp for the sub is in the standard radio integrated, it would seem unlikely to me because it would have to have 5 amps intergrated. But is there any way you could scan this diagram and put it on the forum, I think a lot of reader are interested in it.

Anyway please let us know what you (are planning) to do with the bass fill

Regards
Old 06-30-2005, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
It is not uncommon to have 4 0r 5 channel of MOSFET amplifier on headunit nowadays, but i still presume that the sub draw power from external amp. You don't need megawatt to get the subwoofer thumping, some subs are very sensitive and efficient.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 SS
Originally Posted by Jim Banville
The stock radio is used for both "standard" and "upgraded" audio systems. It has amps built in for driving the speakers when used in the standard system. When used in the upgraded system, it connects to a trunk mounted amp vis fiber optic connection. I stopped by my local MB dealer and got a print out of the 2005 stereo's wiring diagram. Unfortunately, the list of connections on the back of the radio included in the diagram doesn't show standard, electrical line-level outputs
hmm...interesting. i have the h/k system in my '05..i dont like the way the woofer rattles the rear hatch.i was thinking of keeping the stock head unit (mayhbe getting command later) and adding an aftermarket amp+ woofer, and maybe speakers. i always thoguth that the h/k system used a different h/u as the standard system. but i guess not. reading what u have posted, i would think it would be possible to bypass the OEM h/k amp, comming out of the h/u via line-level outputs that used in the standard system, and not using the fiber optic cable. then out the amp then to a woofer, and/or after martker speakers for front/back of car. has anyone tried this? any pics? does command also have standard line-level outs?
Old 07-16-2006, 12:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Rattling Rear Shelf

Originally Posted by drho2004
hmm...interesting. i have the h/k system in my '05..i dont like the way the woofer rattles the rear hatch.i was thinking of keeping the stock head unit (mayhbe getting command later) and adding an aftermarket amp+ woofer, and maybe speakers. i always thoguth that the h/k system used a different h/u as the standard system. but i guess not. reading what u have posted, i would think it would be possible to bypass the OEM h/k amp, comming out of the h/u via line-level outputs that used in the standard system, and not using the fiber optic cable. then out the amp then to a woofer, and/or after martker speakers for front/back of car. has anyone tried this? any pics? does command also have standard line-level outs?
Have the dealer fix the rattle. Mine sounds great now.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
the amp is in front of the rear right tail light.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240
Per your request for pictures, I don't know how to post the same pics in a different thread, so you might have to look up the one Belle started that I showed my install pics. See if this will help you any......

The stock H/K amp: See "Trunk audio install done - Spare Tire?" thread. (pic of trunk showing wires hanging. Black box in corner is amp)

The stock H/K subwoofer in rear deck: See "Trunk audio install done - Spare Tire?" thread.

I hope this helps!