C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Finally picked up the wife's 230k... comments . . .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally picked up the wife's 230k... comments . . .

Finally picked up the wife's white/oyster leather 230k this past weekend. What a beautiful car. The wife loves it.

For the price, I don't think there is a better car out there, it's pretty sweet. The only negative comment I have is this:

Man, does that "stereo system" (i really hesitate to even call it that) SUCK! What the hell was MB thinking? I mean damn those german's can build an engine but they need to outsource the stereo equipment

HAs anyone else noticed this? HAs anyone done anything about it? I'm wondering what I can do to upgrade this... I use her car about 2 - 3 times a week going to work and I need better sound. Even she thinks it sucks, and she could usually care less. Her 98 Hyundai accent she used to have has a way better system than this and that is pathetic.

This car is a lease so I don't really want to hack it up and change the Head Unit, would changing the door speakers and the tweeters make a big difference?

Wondering if anyone did that?

Sorry for the rambling.. please help with comments, experiences?

thanks guys!

~ Ci
Old 06-29-2002, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has been discussed extensively for many months. You might try doing a search using "stereo" "changer" "speakers" and "headunit" as your search parameters.
Old 06-29-2002, 11:30 PM

C- 230 Kompressor,C2,C7,Black,JL sub,A/D/S/ amps,Alpine hu and changer
Just changing the hu will make a big differance, you can get a nice in dash cd for a not that much, and swap it back to stock at the end of the lease.
Old 06-29-2002, 11:31 PM
Almost a Member!

I am wondering what all the complaints about the stereo in this car are all about...I don't think it has a problem whatsoever...I have the c230k w/ the standard (non-Bose) package and CD Changer. I have the bass only about half way up and I'm more than happy. It's crisp and loud enough and it shakes the mirrors nicely and doesn't have any distortion problems for me. It's not that I don't listen to loud music either, being 24 and into the alternative/pop/rock genre I definitely have some music w/ bass in it. I don't think the system sounds any worse than the 2000 Impala it replaced and I actually think the audio in the MB sounds better and just as loud.

$0.02 from dave
Old 06-29-2002, 11:38 PM

Thanks guys, I'm actually reading thru lots of posts now gathering info.

Dave, come'on, if you think this system doesn't sound bad, you either aren't into music, or it really doesn't make a difference to you.

I'm not talking about bass, I'm talking about sound quality. The sound is so bright and tinny, you almost can't listen to it any louder than a whisper. The sound cuts right thru you. It just sounds terrible to me, and most people just from reading the boards.

I'm leaning towards the headunit replacement to start just from reading the boards, anyone know where I can order the trim plate for it?

thanks!
Old 06-30-2002, 01:06 AM

Metra makes a kit I have it http://www.metraonline.com/
Old 06-30-2002, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
There are 3 built in equalization modes in the "AUD" menu for the stereo. Try setting it to AMBIENTE, and then let us know if you still think it sux....
I have my bass turned up only 3 notches, treble all the way up and it sounds great even with the windows down....
Old 06-30-2002, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just changing to the Mercedes Benz Audio 10 AM/FM/CD on the coupe makes all the difference in the world. It sounds more balanced and the bass is soooo much better. If you go aftermarket it will always look aftermarket and you'll lose the dash display and steeting wheel controls. Also the Audio 10 has RDS (displays station name and song on the dash).

Also understand that on the coupe, the three speakers on the door work in conjunction. The rear of the door is a mid range, the front of the door has the woofer/tweeter. If you use the fader control to move the sound back or forward it will sound off.
Old 06-30-2002, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
sound system rant

Unless you're some sort of boom box fanatic, the standard sound system is just fine. If you want to rattle the old folks' fillings as you pound past them on the strip, well, maybe it's a bit weak. But spend a little time adjusting it and you should find a suitable setting.

Here's my general opinion on sound systems: spending big $$$ on car audio is ridiculous, as cars are noisy as hell to start with. They're hardly the ideal platform for listening to hi-fi audio. The white noise in a car plays complete havoc with sound fidelity. If you love buying and listening to high end sound systems, don't waste your efforts and money on one that goes in a car.

Buy the Audio 10 CD if you want something other than a cassette player.
Old 06-30-2002, 03:19 AM

C230 coupe 6sp
You guys that can't hear a difference between the stock stereo and a good aftermarket system should schedule an appt with your doctor to have your hearing checked. When I first got my C230, I was furious that My 99 Dodge Dakota stock system sounded SO MUCH better. I put a cheap aftermarket HU in the C230 that also plays mp3's, and it totally blows away the stock unit that didn't even have a single CD player and sounded like an old AM radio. If all you listen to is sports and talk radio, then the stock unit is fine, but if you want to listen to music and you are not hearing impaired, the stock unit is crap. Mike T is right about cars not being an ideal environment for listening to music, but that is exactly the reason you need to have decent equipment with enough power. I'm not suggesting you need to go crazy like some people do, but the stock HU was all about being "integrated" and having steering wheel controls, with no consideration to the sound quality. Personally, I never got used to using the steering wheel controls anyway since the radio was only about 10 inches from my hand which is always on the shifter. It was easier to reach the damn radio than to try to scroll through screens on the MFD. The guy who helped me put the new HU in, said "you can use your remote instead of the wheel controls anyway". So I tried using the remote instead of lifting my hand 10 inches, and it was soo much easier I almost wrecked trying to decifer all the buttons and figure out what did what. That's just my little radio rant, and my Dakota still sounds better.
Old 06-30-2002, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by speedfrk
You guys that can't hear a difference between the stock stereo and a good aftermarket system should schedule an appt with your doctor to have your hearing checked. When I first got my C230, I was furious that My 99 Dodge Dakota stock system sounded SO MUCH better. I put a cheap aftermarket HU in the C230 that also plays mp3's, and it totally blows away the stock unit that didn't even have a single CD player and sounded like an old AM radio. If all you listen to is sports and talk radio, then the stock unit is fine, but if you want to listen to music and you are not hearing impaired, the stock unit is crap. Mike T is right about cars not being an ideal environment for listening to music, but that is exactly the reason you need to have decent equipment with enough power. I'm not suggesting you need to go crazy like some people do, but the stock HU was all about being "integrated" and having steering wheel controls, with no consideration to the sound quality. Personally, I never got used to using the steering wheel controls anyway since the radio was only about 10 inches from my hand which is always on the shifter. It was easier to reach the damn radio than to try to scroll through screens on the MFD. The guy who helped me put the new HU in, said "you can use your remote instead of the wheel controls anyway". So I tried using the remote instead of lifting my hand 10 inches, and it was soo much easier I almost wrecked trying to decifer all the buttons and figure out what did what. That's just my little radio rant, and my Dakota still sounds better.
I agree
Old 06-30-2002, 04:26 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Dakota sounds better?...you must think that loud music/bass that makes the door panels shake like crazy is a good thing. i have the 10 speaker BOSE system standard on my car which is very nice, but still doesn't have the sound quality that the Harman Kardon have in my old 328CI.

i have nothing against ppl putting money into their cars but spending money on sound system that doesn't do anything in terms of performance is just pointless and a way to waste money. the best sound system is the car's soul which is its engine/exaust note. why do you think that F50 has no stereo? because the sound of its engine IS music to car lovers.
Old 06-30-2002, 12:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Uhm, I'm not hearing impared and I do know what good music sounds like...as I said, it's not perfect, but it's more than tolerable. My setup in my living room sounds better, yes, but it also costs a whole hell of a lot more. Not to mention the Klipsh system I have going for my computer...trust me, I've got a decent ear for sound quality. I wish there were a way we could hear each other's cars because I still swear mine sounds fine and I've had no complaints from anyone riding in the vehicle either.

dave
Old 06-30-2002, 01:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Rick, what is this AMBIENTE setting you are talking about in the AUD menu? When I go to the AUD menu all I have are Bass|Treble|Fade|Balance in that order...I didn't see any kind of "Driver" or "Ambiente" setting anywhere in the system...maybe they changed the radios or something?

dave
Old 06-30-2002, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by le848dave
Rick, what is this AMBIENTE setting you are talking about in the AUD menu? When I go to the AUD menu all I have are Bass|Treble|Fade|Balance in that order...I didn't see any kind of "Driver" or "Ambiente" setting anywhere in the system...maybe they changed the radios or something?

dave
dave, AMBIENTE settings are only on the Bose headunits.
Old 06-30-2002, 01:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Ah...apologies...thanks
Old 06-30-2002, 05:22 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
FrankW,
I have a C230 not a C32 AMG, so any comparison between your car and mine is pointless. My Dakota has the factory Infinity sound system in it with CD and 6 speakers. It is not a "loud music/bass that makes the door panels shake like crazy" kind of system. Just a good factory system. You apparently have missed the point which is simply this- If Dodge can put a good clean tight sounding system in a relatively inexpensive truck, Mercedes should be ashamed of themselves for the piece of crap they put in the C230 coupes. I agree the BMW's do have better systems, which furthers my point. But since all you listen to is the engine, I guess none of this matters to you anyway. BTW, I have owned a Ferrari, and it was so loud that you couldn't really take it on a trip because it was tiring. I drove it from Palm Beach to Hilton Head one time, and dreaded the drive back.
Old 06-30-2002, 06:12 PM

My wifes 95 Nissan Pathfinder stereo sounds better than stock C230, she noticed it the first day she was suprized they put somthing so bad in a Mercedes .
Old 06-30-2002, 08:09 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
FrankW,
I have a C230 not a C32 AMG, so any comparison between your car and mine is pointless. My Dakota has the factory Infinity sound system in it with CD and 6 speakers. It is not a "loud music/bass that makes the door panels shake like crazy" kind of system. Just a good factory system. You apparently have missed the point which is simply this- If Dodge can put a good clean tight sounding system in a relatively inexpensive truck, Mercedes should be ashamed of themselves for the piece of crap they put in the C230 coupes. I agree the BMW's do have better systems, which furthers my point. But since all you listen to is the engine, I guess none of this matters to you anyway. BTW, I have owned a Ferrari, and it was so loud that you couldn't really take it on a trip because it was tiring. I drove it from Palm Beach to Hilton Head one time, and dreaded the drive back.
speedfrk

didn't know you had the Infinity system. isn't the Infinity system an option for Dodge?...you had me confused with the real stock stereo. if you had the Infinity then it is not stock. i would just call it by Infinity system. my family's POS grand caravan has the Infinity system. that system is probably the only good thing about that car.

i'm not comparing the sound system in my car and your car. i'm saying that the standard or bose on the C coupe is not that bad because i have sit in one when i pick up my car and have turn the music up fairly loud (not with windows open of course)
Old 06-30-2002, 08:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
i have the standard sound system in my coupe and it sounded ok. not bad at all. but i wanted bass so i got a 12" alpine sub installed with a kennwood amp and all i can say is that i love the way it sounds to me it sounds great. i just wanna know why when i listen to cd it sounds so much better than just hearing a song on the radio. I am guessing its the Amp and the sub that made me love the way it sounds.
I have a Jaguar XK8 with a Harman Kardon 8 speaker system in it and somehow i like the way my c230 sounds better with the things i did to it better than the way my jaguar sounds.
Old 06-30-2002, 09:17 PM
Almost a Member!

If I remember correctly, the head unit remembers your Bass/Treble and such settings for the radio/tape/cd/phone seperately...try checking those levels when you are in each mode.

dave
Old 06-30-2002, 11:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally posted by le848dave
If I remember correctly, the head unit remembers your Bass/Treble and such settings for the radio/tape/cd/phone seperately...try checking those levels when you are in each mode.

dave

yeah, i have them the same on both the CD and radio.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:04 AM

Re: sound system rant

Originally posted by Mike T.

Here's my general opinion on sound systems: spending big $$$ on car audio is ridiculous, as cars are noisy as hell to start with. They're hardly the ideal platform for listening to hi-fi audio. The white noise in a car plays complete havoc with sound fidelity. If you love buying and listening to high end sound systems, don't waste your efforts and money on one that goes in a car.

I second this opinion. Besides what kind of accurate stereo imaging can you get when you are constantly sitting to the left of center ? You would be better off buying headphones.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
sound sweet spot missing...not really...

I had a sony EQ 4000x dsp/equalizer... that moved the 'center sweet spot' to the driver's position - or any other in the car.

During installation, you measure distance in cm from each speaker to driver's head position. The EQ/DSP then time shifts each seperate driver to deliver optimum sound.

Truly amazing!

I'll be doing the same in the coupe - at least I want to!

P
Old 07-01-2002, 12:54 PM

C32 AMG
... BTW, I have owned a Ferrari, and it was so loud that you couldn't really take it on a trip because it was tiring. I drove it from Palm Beach to Hilton Head one time, and dreaded the drive back...
My dad has had 3, and it should make you feel better knowing that the stereo in his 360 sounds even worse than any crappy Mercedes radio i've heard. It seems like the older Mercedes' had better systems.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally picked up the wife's 230k... comments . . .