C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

ESP and BAS Faults...!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Coupe (2010)
ESP and BAS Faults...!!!

Driving down 66 towards DC in traffic... At the same place for the past two days I am throwing a ESP and BAS fault...

After I stop and restart the car they go away and never come back.. It seems to not be milleage dependent since I drive the opposite way to work and never have a fault.

Any ideas?

I am going to take it in to the dealer just to be safe but it wont be until next week and I want to get some ideas on what could be wrong.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Once I got 3 malfunction messages for ABS/BAS/ESP which said something like "feature unavailable". I shut the engine off and restarted and I've never seen it again. That was about 3 months ago...

I think someone in the past had a problem with a brake sensor or something that caused a fault.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:15 PM
tb2
Almost a Member!

2002 C230 Kompressor
Just recently I got ESP & BAS errors on my coupe and took it in for service, they detailed the problem on the service paper when the gaev the car back to me, it involved replacign a sensor I believe. I do not have the papers with me at the moment but if you like I can post the details later from home.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:43 PM

C230 Kompressor Sports Sedan
i guess our lemon is acting up on all coupys....keke

i had the same situation, with "visit workshop" notice and never seen it again after engine shut off and on....

so when i got my p.roof fixed, i told them i had that esp/bas/abs fault, and they seem to have replaced sensor or some sort.....but didn't quite explain what was wrong with it.........

newayz....

lates
Old 07-03-2002, 02:51 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
Since it happens at the same place. Maybe it's the magnetic field in that area trigger the faults.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:01 PM

E350 Coupe (2010)
I really think your right...piximation... Same exact place two days in a row! I would think that if its just a magnetic field that its either got to be a traffic meeter or something else...

THough why would MB make their torances so low that something external like that would trip that sensor??

Oh and toki999 Dont hex me with the big L word ... that the last thing I need.... Other than this fault I have been wonderfull.. and it seems all the sudden and I mean as of like a day ago my tranny got significantly smoother ... I cant explain why

But reguardless after the holiday week I am in for a servicing
Old 07-03-2002, 03:20 PM

2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
This was happening to me as well. If you do a search you might find lots of info.

Basically in my case it was related to having a low battery due to the fact that we left the headlights on for a day. The ESP/BAS/etc are very sensitive to low battery.
The dealer also replaced my alternator, because the computer recorded some undervoltage and overvoltage codes.

The problem haven't come back sinse (about 2 months now)

Trending Topics

Old 07-03-2002, 05:08 PM

C230 Kompressor Sports Sedan
hm.....it might have been the magnetic force or field....

however im going in for the 10k service within a week or two....and i'll ask again to fix the "pulling right" situation.

car does not pull right as much as before but the steering wheel is noticeably not right at all times. Alignment should be done before 12k so i'll have it fixed this time again.

and if that ever happens again.....can i mentin the Lemon thingy ??? i wonder if alignment could be a lemon law forced.

btw i have ordered cd changer from autoclass.net but i haven't received any notice yet. =( getting kinda pissed off at their service now......
Old 07-04-2002, 03:04 AM

02 silver C320, charcoal, xenon headlamp, CD changer
maybe something else other than the sensor

I've the exact same problem for my C320. I've brought the car in for 4 times before they could actually figure out what's wrong. They first claimed it's the sensor problem but the problem still existed after the sensor replacement. They finally figured that out after 3 attempts and told me that it's a chip inside the computer module that cause the problem. They said that so many new Cs have the same problem and MB is planning to recall these cars to replace the chips, but I'm not too sure whether that will happen though. Hope my dealer's solution to my problem might help you too.
Old 07-05-2002, 10:06 AM

w203 c230K 2002
This is a common problem with the c-class it's a software problem. MB has been switching parts to try and resolve it some times it works, but they are working on a software fix. I don't think it will be a recall but rather a service bulliten.

Randy