C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Hey, MBTech, here's one for you

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 11:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 C240/6
Hey, MBTech, here's one for you

Here's a question for ya.

Every now and then, when I start my car, the car starts, but none of the interior electronics go on! The dash is dead, the radio is dead, etc. The car runs fine (except the electric radiator fan is going full blast).

If I shut it off for a second and restart, it is fine!

I will advise the dealer of this when I take it in for its scheduled service (probably in 6 months). I fear I will get the standard "we can't duplicate it, so we can't help you) answer.

Have you heard of this? I'd like to give them some guidance when the time comes (seems like a defective ignition switch to me).
Old 12-07-2001, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
I believe you, I had a C240 that did the same thing to me when it was in for service. I was like "What the....??" Customer didn't complain about it, she said it never happened to her before, so it must have been my fault. She was in a hurry, so we advised her about it and let her have the car. I didn't get an opportunity to run tests and check for codes, and the car hasn't been back since. An electrical hiccup? I think you're right though, my first wild-*** guess would be a defective EIS. We've had a lot of problems with the EIS on C-classes, with a variety of complaints. Mostly from people whose keys don't work intermittently. Next time I see a problem like yours and diagnose it, I'll let you know.
Old 12-08-2001, 12:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 C240/6
EIS? Is that Electronic Ignition Switch?

If so, are the problems with the actual switch, where the key goes in?

If so, I intend to try to get the dealer to simply replace the switch under warranty, even if they can't duplicate the problem. Its done it a few times, so I know there is a problem somewhere.

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2001, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Ehhhhh, you really shouldn't tell the dealer how to fix a car when the car is still under factory warranty, unless it's a cosmetic issue like broken interior pieces, faded leather, loose this-and-that, etc. Don't tell them "I want a new EIS, whether you can duplicate it or not." Instead, just tell the service advisor what your car is doing, when it does it, etc. The Electronic Ignition Switch on your car is a computer with a hole in it. The hole is all that is visible to you, and that's where the key goes in. It's nothing like an ignition switch for a Toyota, Dodge, whatever. Any Mercedes technician will know that the problem is most likely the EIS, and with proper testing will be able to diagnose it.