C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Solutions for Coupe pulling to the right?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K Sport Coupe /Black/C2/C7
Solutions for Coupe pulling to the right?

I'm bringing my car in to the dealer to fix some problems (ESP /BAS errors every now and then) and one of 'em is my Coupe pulling to the right.

From what I've read, a lot have experienced this, but I haven't read of any fixes. I was curious if anyone's actually gotten this fixed, and what the problem was, so I can give some ideas to the service rep to hopefully avoid having to keep on bringing it back.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:41 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
Swap the front tires from one side to the other. If the pull goes away or pulls in the other direction, it is a bad tire. If it doesn't, it is something in the suspension. About half the time, it is a tire, and not a suspension problem. For example, I just had the tires on my truck balanced and rotated. Now it pulls to the left. Obviouly it is a tire problem since nothing else was changed. Pulling from tire problems is very common, and easily fixed.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe
i had one dealer swapped the tires but the car was still pulling. and they claimed to be the road imperfections. i didn't buy that BS
so i brought the car to another dealer and it came out to be alignment not to factory spec!
had it fixed and happy, no other problems since
Old 07-13-2002, 12:10 AM

In my other car, I hit a deep pothole once and ended up with a slight alignment problem that caused the car to pull to the right too. So maybe that's your problem.
Old 07-13-2002, 11:35 AM

2002 C230, 1996 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
Mine was doing the same thing when I drove it off of the lot. The steering wheel was canted to the right. I took it back to my dealer who checked the alignment and said it was off but that they don't have the equipment to align 2002 models. ( very small shop...I imagine they farm out all newer model alignment work ) I then was sent to a tire shop and they aligned my car, and after they performed the work they told me the car wasn't out of alignment but that they realigned it anyway to "straighten out the wheel". I thought, jeez, what a bunch of rocket scientists!

After that, the steering wheel was canted to the left. I took it back to my dealer and explained that the car didn't really feel like it was pulling or drifting, but that the wheel was off center. It gave them a new direction to go, and they found that my steering wheel had been mounted one notch off at the factory. Very simple to fix....just take it off and set it in the right spot.

It taught me to be more accurate when I describe to the techs what's wrong....I was saying it was out of alignment when I really should have been telling them it seemed to be more in the steering. My only question is, how did they decide it was out of alignment on my first visit? Take my word for it?

Now it drives straight as an arrow and my car is performing flawlessly.
Old 07-15-2002, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by MsMercedes

It taught me to be more accurate when I describe to the techs what's wrong....I was saying it was out of alignment when I really should have been telling them it seemed to be more in the steering. My only question is, how did they decide it was out of alignment on my first visit? Take my word for it?
Thats right. They don't care since they can charge it under warranty anyway. I am surprised they did not drive it to verify your initial assessment of the problem. Are you sure you want to continue having your car serviced there ?
Old 07-15-2002, 11:52 AM

2002 C230, 1996 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
It's the only Mercedes dealership within an hour's drive of me unless I go the opposite direction of where I work. That would make a two hour drive to drop my car off and go to work. Very time prohibitive.......I think I'll opt to use the dealership that is in the same city as I commute to work in. Until I have something they cannot fix, I'm not taking it elsewhere.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
i know this is a old thread... but i just took my car in for B service under warranty and told them that my car was pulling left. they said that alignment is only covered under the first 12 months and that its gonna cost me $109.

has anyone had to do this before? would i be better off getting it aligned somewhere else? (i don't know if the dealership is overcharging).

thanks!