C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C280 with jerky 7speed tranny

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2005 | 12:03 AM

C280 with jerky 7speed tranny

just got new c class c280 with 7 speed transmission

it jerks intermittently while idling
the dealer believes it is the transmission
they are waiting for a diagnostic tool from germany

anyone else with this problem?
Old 09-29-2005 | 12:06 AM
Out Of Control!!

I edited your title to accurately reflect the issue. It's way too vauge, and gives the idea that there's a new C-Class development.
Old 09-29-2005 | 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
wow...new c class with problems, I posted a thread abt the 06s possible issues? but w/e, my friend works at a MB service dept. he said the 06 c classes have alota issues, tranny lag, engine jerks, they replaced a few engines for a few c classes, he said the 3.5 has problems... but if i were you, i'd bit*h at the dealer and have them replace a car for u!
Old 09-29-2005 | 11:44 AM

Gone but not forgotten C36
^^^...I hope MB takes these issues seriously and get them resolved...pretty unacceptable when you get new cars returning to the service for new engines
Old 09-29-2005 | 03:54 PM
Almost a Member!

Come on guys you scaring me. I really want a 06 C280. Im saving my penny's. You guys sure the tranny just doesnt take some getting used to? When the last time you drove a 7 speed auto? I was hopeing most of the felling people are gettin was simply because its much different then the normal 5 speed auto people are used to. Alot of cars are even still 4 speed auto. Gearing, shifting and all i expect to feel different beacuse of it being 7 speed. What do you guys think?
On the flip side of things. When new things come out it does take time to work the bugs out. We starting with new engine sizes and also new trannies so we could be asking for trouble. make we should start a poll. Stay with the 05 models or move up to the 06's. JIM
Old 09-29-2005 | 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally Posted by Back2Benz
^^^...I hope MB takes these issues seriously and get them resolved...pretty unacceptable when you get new cars returning to the service for new engines
Welcome to the first Model Year! It does suck, though, as you'd think MB would learn their lesson on quality by now.
Old 09-29-2005 | 07:22 PM
Jkw

2004.5 C 230
Wait for the 07, I'm sure MB will get the kinks out by than & may have a few upgrades.
Jkw
Old 09-29-2005 | 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by integlikewhoa
Come on guys you scaring me. I really want a 06 C280. Im saving my penny's. You guys sure the tranny just doesnt take some getting used to? When the last time you drove a 7 speed auto? I was hopeing most of the felling people are gettin was simply because its much different then the normal 5 speed auto people are used to. Alot of cars are even still 4 speed auto. Gearing, shifting and all i expect to feel different beacuse of it being 7 speed. What do you guys think?
On the flip side of things. When new things come out it does take time to work the bugs out. We starting with new engine sizes and also new trannies so we could be asking for trouble. make we should start a poll. Stay with the 05 models or move up to the 06's. JIM
05 models =
Originally Posted by Jkw
Wait for the 07, I'm sure MB will get the kinks out by than & may have a few upgrades.
Jkw
like the new 6.3L V8 510hp in a new C55? or maybe they'll call it a C63? :p
Old 09-30-2005 | 02:00 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by ctC230K
like the new 6.3L V8 510hp in a new C55? or maybe they'll call it a C63? :p
Your kidding right?
Old 09-30-2005 | 02:10 AM
Almost a Member!

You had me going there for a min. heres what i found in a search.

"AMG's 5.4-litre will be revised with new horsepower rating up from today's 360 to 400-410hp to compete with the Audi RS4 and future BMW M3."

found at this link: http://www.germancarfans.com/spyphot...id/6050718.002
Old 09-30-2005 | 01:25 PM

2020 GLC300 4MATIC
My input on the C280 engine....

I've had the new 06 C280 4matic (5 speed auto) for just about 2 weeks, and I will say this much - the 5-speed automatic is very nice in this car. I can't speak for the 7-speed, but at any speed over 25 mph, it is gorgeous and fluid for accelerating, etc.

Now the bad -- I was in traffic on Rt 80 here in NJ coming home from work, and well....it drove rather poorly. I would step on the gas ever so slightly and it would begin accelerating...I'd have to slow down, put my foot on the break and the RPM would still be up a wee bit -- like a bottleneck/congestion somewhere in the system... Also a few jerks here and there (and I'm not talking about the other drivers who caused that traffic backup with their accident miles ahead!!!) I'm hoping that the tranny needs to "learn" my driving....or the car has to get used to being in traffic? No rough idling, etc....but slow traffic driving isn't too horribly pleasant. Either the car has to learn my driving -- or it just doesn't want to go slow! ...who am I to argue the car ;-).

PS - I love this car either way...

- Eric
Old 10-04-2005 | 08:30 PM

mb c280 jerking solution

finally heard back from dealer after 12 days in shop. car is only 3 weeks old. they were waiting for a diagnostic tool from germany. the car was jerking at idle.

the new jersey techs say that two cylinders ane misfiring. they are replacing the two fuel injectors for these cylinders.

does this make sense?
Old 10-05-2005 | 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by integlikewhoa
Your kidding right?
kidding about what? no there really is a 6.3L 510HP V8.
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/artic...g63_engine.asp
not that they will put it in a C but definatly would be cool if they did.
Old 10-05-2005 | 04:46 PM

2014 Sport White on black
Sounds like the 06 C230 (V6) I got as a loaner. When the service rep issued me the car with only 500 miles on it I thought 200+HP lets see what this can do. First thing, it was a automatic so I played around with the 7 gear speed stick (like the triptronic mode) to get a feel of the HP. Did not feel the same as my C240. Maybe because when I tried to get it up in RPMs it would automatically shift to the next logical gear. I did notice the slight difference between 6th gear and drive though. I then drove it on the freeway and punched the accelerator. To my disappointment, the car just stood there for a bit, what seemed like seconds, before it took off. Even on surface streets I noticed the lag real bad. I know we have all heard the lag on the C240's but the C230-V6 demonstrates much more lag. Anyway I had the car for about six days and added over 200 miles on it so I was able to get a pretty good evaluation of the car; More so than a new owner because I was able to push it much harder. Also, is it my imagination or is the car smaller all around. When I parked the car in my garage it seemed I had more room (front, back and side-to-side) to move around between the other car. I also noticed inside the distance between the front and back seats seemed much less. In fact, I noticed that the leg room in both the driver and passenger sides were narrower .
I got my car back on a Tues, after a "B" service (they decided to keep the car longer to check lots of complaints other drivers had with the same class as my car) and noticed some stuff they broke in my car. It seems the last three times I took the car for schedule maintenance I find something they broke (first time was the drive seat plastic rail holder on the floor board, second time was something in the console and this time my front left blinker stopped working (my wife picked up the car so she did not noticed until I got home to inspect), some serious loud clicking coming from the front left tire and the cup holder does not open anymore. I called the service rep and they want the car back in on Friday. I am going to see if I can get a C280 for a loaner.