C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

I thought it was a mercedes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2005 | 10:42 PM

05' C240
I thought it was a mercedes?

I've had my 05' C240 for only a couple months. I leased it brand new and had it orderd in since the dealer didn't carry any with nav + BLK OPAL. Recently, my passenger mirror light stoped turning on. My right license plate light also stoped turning on. I get messages on my info center thing in my dash saying the passenger air bag has been deployed, several times. I haven't even came close to crashing my car, haven't been anywhere near under the hood, and I've treated it like my baby.

How could this happen?! Well, I guess it's my fault. I've made a horrible mistake. Never meet your childhood hero, or in my case car brand.

ppsh what a letdown

any ideas guys?
Old 10-09-2005 | 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by mercman77
I've had my 05' C240 for only a couple months. I leased it brand new and had it orderd in since the dealer didn't carry any with nav + BLK OPAL. Recently, my passenger mirror light stoped turning on. My right license plate light also stoped turning on. I get messages on my info center thing in my dash saying the passenger air bag has been deployed, several times. I haven't even came close to crashing my car, haven't been anywhere near under the hood, and I've treated it like my baby.

How could this happen?! Well, I guess it's my fault. I've made a horrible mistake. Never meet your childhood hero, or in my case car brand.

ppsh what a letdown

any ideas guys?
Cars today are very complex, and have a lot of computers... MB is a bit weak in the computer engineering.. but make up for it with their superior chassis, and workmanship.. if you want the electrics to always work flawlessly, get a Honda.. but forget about Rear Wheel Drive, 5-arm multi-link, and real wood inside your car... but to name a few items.

Take it to the dealer, and they can fix all of that in 2 hours..
Old 10-09-2005 | 11:23 PM

C 230K Coupé
Just like you said, it's a mercedes. MB service has been going down the drain lately. Stupid malfunctions and problems that shouldn't happen to such a car. It's pretty dissapointing... luckily I've had mine for nearly 3 years now and haven't had any serious malfunctions
Old 10-09-2005 | 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whatever there's gas in...
You thought a C was a Mercedes??
Old 10-10-2005 | 12:52 AM
JeT

Originally Posted by S-Clusiv
Don't start that crap again...its been done hundred of times before.
Old 10-10-2005 | 02:34 AM

C 230K Coupé
Why don't you take a look at the other threads, like in the CLS / CL section. Both 50g+ Mercedes, still crap service and always stuff breaking. Doesn't matter how much the car costs, the service / reliability this company offers hasn't been that great lately
Old 10-10-2005 | 03:21 AM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre

ppsh what a letdown

any ideas guys?

That sucks... I had the same "problem" with the license plate light. Apparently there is a TSB about it, I wonder what's up with that. But, the other problems sound pretty ****ty, I hope they get it taken care of! Good luck!
Old 10-10-2005 | 09:57 AM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
Well, beyond some of the wise-*** responses, let me offer this:

The likely culprit in the case of the mirror light is that the sunshade is not positioned properly to make contact with the electrical source built into the clip. Because the shade can move up and down the track when it's deployed to the side, if you don't retract it completely when stowing it back in front, the two electrical contacts may not make a good connection. This is hard to explain without pix, but pull the shade out, push it ALL the way back on the slider, and then put it back in the clip - look for the two shiny areas, one on the clip, and one on the shade - they have to match when the shade is stowed for the lamp to work.

As noted above, there is a TSB on the lic light.
Old 10-10-2005 | 10:30 AM
Jkw

2004.5 C 230
Recently, my passenger mirror light stoped turning on.
I had the same problem, dealer said they replaced the blub, but maybe they just fixed the visor as "jrct9454" said,.
Good Luck w/ the repair
Jkw
Old 10-10-2005 | 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by r3v1ls
Why don't you take a look at the other threads, like in the CLS / CL section. Both 50g+ Mercedes, still crap service and always stuff breaking. Doesn't matter how much the car costs, the service / reliability this company offers hasn't been that great lately
that's correct... I've driven my $57,000 CDI in for service, and gotten bad service.. and In New Jersey, while out visiting my family.. I took my sisters CL65 in for a couple of warranty issues and was given the run around and rude treatment (or is that just how everyone sounds in NJ?)
Old 10-10-2005 | 10:50 AM

2002 E55, Black on Black

ppsh what a letdown

any ideas guys?
If you have been on this board, you should have been able to determine before your purchase that MB cars of today, particularly the C-Class, are not built well from a fit/finish and electronics standpoint. If these types of issues were going to be a problem for you, you really should have bought a Lexus. This round is likely not the end your problems in this area (wish I could tell you differently and that "this is an anomoly -- all will be well, but that just isn't reality).

MB still does many things well. The cars still feel solid, the engines are bulletproof, they are very safe, and are very pretty to look at.
For your own peace of mind, it may be best to focus on these positives and forget about the wonderful MB from your childhood (I remember those wonderful MBs of my childhood also -- they were amamzing machines at one time). That company, unfortunately, has not existed in quite a while now Perhaps in several years they will be back, but it won't be with this generation's C-class.

Good luck with getting your problems fixed. MB service is still some of the best in the businsess, and they will make the effort to fix your problem. Just keep your expectations relatively low as far as having to go back for more issues in the future, and try to enjoy the good stuff MB still can offer.
Otherwise you may be a very unhappy camper for the life of your lease.
Old 10-10-2005 | 12:21 PM
Jkw

2004.5 C 230
Originally Posted by CE750
that's correct... I've driven my $57,000 CDI in for service, and gotten bad service.. and In New Jersey, while out visiting my family.. I took my sisters CL65 in for a couple of warranty issues and was given the run around and rude treatment (or is that just how everyone sounds in NJ?)
That is how everyone sounds in Jersey,
Old 10-10-2005 | 04:09 PM

2020 GLC300 4MATIC
I'm from Jersey too -- that kind of treatment seems about right :-).... we have a pseudo new yorker attitude around here. I especially love the under rear-view mirror light -- very handy for illuminating your hand flipping someone off at night! I assume thats what its there for... :-)....lol, thought you'd all get a kick out of that perspective of that feature.

Last edited by dalazernet; 10-10-2005 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Spelling typo...doh
Old 10-10-2005 | 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dalazernet
I especially love the under rear-view mirror light -- very handing for illuminating your hand flipping someone off at night! I assume thats what its there for... :-)....lol, thought you'd all get a kick out of that perspective of that feature.
so that's what that light is for !!!!

that's the best functional explanation I've heard so far on these boards !

Thank you very much !

Saprissa@aol.com
Orange County MB & AMG Meet in Irvine, CA - October 15th !
and see the:
Complete Attendee List
Old 10-10-2005 | 04:29 PM

05' C240
What is a TSB?

Originally Posted by jrct9454
As noted above, there is a TSB on the lic light.
Sorry guys I'm new to all this. Maybe because I'm 16 and this being my first car. What does TSB stand for?
Old 10-10-2005 | 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Technical Service Bulletin.

For a list of them, by W203 model type, see the Sticky up top that Ricky posted. You will get a list, but not the actual TSB itself.

Go to the dealer and ask to have them print it out for you, or let you see what it's about. Otherwise, Mercedes-Benz has an online service that you can subscribe to, and see all TSBs.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 10-10-2005 | 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dalazernet
I'm from Jersey too -- that kind of treatment seems about right :-).... we have a pseudo new yorker attitude around here. I especially love the under rear-view mirror light -- very handy for illuminating your hand flipping someone off at night! I assume thats what its there for... :-)....lol, thought you'd all get a kick out of that perspective of that feature.
too bad cause once you leave the arm pit Newark, it's actually an incredible state.. beauty wise.
Old 10-10-2005 | 07:01 PM

2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Well, thats the reason I stay here. I'm about 30-45 mins from New York City, and in the nice area up north...great woods, and relatively quiet....and somehow we handle all of our excessive traffic well.

As for this thread - I know what Mercedes-Benz vehicles used to be like, and I do have to mention that things change for every company (some good, some bad), but overall I prefer my C-class over any American vehicle (GM, Ford, etc) - I think they have a nice package with regard to handling and engines, etc. You are really getting a nice Mercedes-Benz feeling driving one of their vehicles. Were they better in the past? I'm not going to dwell on things like that - but I do feel that they have been getting better lately. Comparing my 2006 to a friend's 2004, I see very subtle quality differences that make my model better. Surfaces you touch seem nicer, the seats feel a little different - more comfortable, bigger softer headrests, etc.

Oh heck, I even noticed when washing my car that the outside metal/paint curves underneath the vehicle smoothly a little all around. On my last car (GM) the metal on the car stopped abruptly the second you couldn't see it - but this feels nice on every curve when doing a wash by hand! I'm content :-).
Old 10-11-2005 | 05:09 AM

05' C240
hm

Originally Posted by Saprissa
Technical Service Bulletin.

For a list of them, by W203 model type, see the Sticky up top that Ricky posted. You will get a list, but not the actual TSB itself.

Go to the dealer and ask to have them print it out for you, or let you see what it's about. Otherwise, Mercedes-Benz has an online service that you can subscribe to, and see all TSBs.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
thanks Carlos, I thought I was gunna get hung for that question.
Old 10-11-2005 | 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Originally Posted by Jkw
I had the same problem, dealer said they replaced the blub, but maybe they just fixed the visor as "jrct9454" said,.
Good Luck w/ the repair
Jkw
I had that problem too and the service guy showed me how to fix just like what jrct9454 has said: just pull out the sun visor a little bit and then push it all the way in and voila, the light is working again.
Old 10-11-2005 | 10:19 PM

05' C240
Thumbs up Thanks guys

The pull the visor out trick actually worked. Thanks everyone.
Old 10-20-2005 | 10:28 PM

05' C240
Thumbs down and now this

now all of the audio (radio, cd, aux, nav) won't get any louder then a soft whisper!!!! I didn't touch anything and I didn't blow put the speakers because this has happend b4 and only lasted a couple minutes...it's been two days now.
Old 10-20-2005 | 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
whoa. i have never had that problem before. I had the sound distortion problem two or three times but that was easy to fix.
Old 10-20-2005 | 11:16 PM

05' C240
Well..how?

Originally Posted by mick1
whoa. i have never had that problem before. I had the sound distortion problem two or three times but that was easy to fix.
How did u do that?
Old 10-20-2005 | 11:23 PM

05' C240
Well..how?

Originally Posted by mick1
How did u do that?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I thought it was a mercedes?