C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Decent Intakes for 1.8 When?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decent Intakes for 1.8 When?

Does anyone know when the'll have a staright bolt on intake that can replace the stock plastic pipe? There's someone on here that has accomplished this but it doesn't look like he's geting that much air into his intake because the cone filter is on it's side instead of straight on, thus he's getting more hot than cold air. You know what I mean? Is the 05 1.8 too new for aftermarket bolt ons? Because it seems that most hard mods are for the V6 engines.

:v
Old 10-15-2005, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is SOLD
a drop in filter is sufficient enough to gain HP. there is no need to do a customer cold air intake. if you do a search pple have dyno'ed and gained at least 5 hp, which is the same as any other intake.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by chkdg8
Does anyone know when the'll have a staright bolt on intake that can replace the stock plastic pipe? There's someone on here that has accomplished this but it doesn't look like he's geting that much air into his intake because the cone filter is on it's side instead of straight on, thus he's getting more hot than cold air. You know what I mean? Is the 05 1.8 too new for aftermarket bolt ons? Because it seems that most hard mods are for the V6 engines.

Someone's got ricer envy.

No, there's no magical CAI out there for you. The setup you are talking about was on an M111, which already had a better CAI setup than what he made.

Get a drop in, find some tubing to replace the accordian style stuff youve got now and call it a day. There's no easy gains for the M271...its over engineered.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:10 PM

Thank you outland. I already ordered a K&N drop in filter because Green filters are not available for the 1.8. You're right though, the accordian is horrendous! For future reference, M271 is the correct engine model for the 1.8? Can't wait for a nice performance header. I don't want anything too ricey.

Last edited by Zillarpillow23; 10-15-2005 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Thank you outland. I already ordered a K&N drop in filter because Green filters are not available for the 1.8. You're right though, the accordian is horrendous! For future reference, M271 is the correct engine model for the 1.8? Can't wait for a nice performance header. I don't want anything too ricey.

Yes, your motor is the M271. Kleeman supposedly has a header in the works.

Somethings you can try...get ASP to make you an overboost pulley....you might get another pound of boost from the modified M45.
Overbore the TB...works on just about every car out there.
Get a better IC. The IC is designed forthe M111....its a bit overtaxed on the M271.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
i'm pretty sure the reason for that accordian pipe is to filter dust and sand before it gets to the airbox and to trap water so it doesn't get into the engine.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Outland
Yes, your motor is the M271. Kleeman supposedly has a header in the works.

Somethings you can try...get ASP to make you an overboost pulley....you might get another pound of boost from the modified M45.
Overbore the TB...works on just about every car out there.
Get a better IC. The IC is designed forthe M111....its a bit overtaxed on the M271.
I'm having a tough time finding an official Kleemann Dealer down here in South Florida. Found these two off Kleemann's site http://www.c2dusa.com/ and http://www.macedomotorsports.com/. Ironically both their sites don't seem to go anywhere but I emailed them and await their response.

The KLEEMANN Engine Performance Kit seems to pull off all the right moves and it's all bolt on: http://www.kleemann.dk/site/Main/tun...erformancekits. For the 230 1.8 (M271), they claim 213hp/305 torque from 193/260 stock. Not bad numbers. Now the only number we need to know is how much this kit costs. If anyone has this kit installed, please share the info.

Last edited by Zillarpillow23; 10-16-2005 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
...For the 230 1.8 (M271), they claim 213hp/305 torque from 193/260 stock. Not bad numbers. Now the only number we need to know is how much this kit costs. If anyone has this kit installed, please share the info.

Kleeman's numbers are off. The M271 engine only pushes 189 to the crank stock, so you're really looking at a 20hp gain to 209, not 213...plus, you could never really tell how much further above or below the kit will give you in terms of power, unless it's installed in a car. There are a few people that I believe have done it on these boards.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Only 5 of the Kleeman kits were every built for M271 W203 I'm told. Also, word was that a stock 6 speed was faster than the Kleemanized M271. I doubt its a real 20HP...or if it is, its right at the power peak.

Conversion to a twin screw lysholm or autorotor type supercharger would give you some real power...a roots blower has limitations, and makes a lot of heat.

BTW, Drex, the Kleeman numbers are correct. The M271 makes 193Hp in Euro trim...the M111 makes 197 . Might just be the way they calculate HP.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:07 PM

So does anyone recommend the kleeman performance kit? It's only a pulley kit, belt, air filter and the k-box. I think everything can be done on one's own but the k-box, eventhough it's just a plug-in device, would need to be adjusted and calculated to the engine's dyno results with the rest of the bolt-on mods.

If this is the case, I would just wait until my K&N filter is delivered and then look into a nice pulley kit myself. I was under the impression that you couldn't pulley the 1.8. It's just that there's no thread specifically for the 1.8 (c230K M271). Maybe if there was we could be sharing a lot of precise information for this engine. No offense to all other C-owners.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
So does anyone recommend the kleeman performance kit? It's only a pulley kit, belt, air filter and the k-box. I think everything can be done on one's own but the k-box, eventhough it's just a plug-in device, would need to be adjusted and calculated to the engine's dyno results with the rest of the bolt-on mods.

If this is the case, I would just wait until my K&N filter is delivered and then look into a nice pulley kit myself. I was under the impression that you couldn't pulley the 1.8. It's just that there's no thread specifically for the 1.8 (c230K M271). Maybe if there was we could be sharing a lot of precise information for this engine. No offense to all other C-owners.
Hmmm...that's interesting that you got that impression because there are a few people that have upgraded their pulleys. Kleeman offered that one kit. Somebody used a Carlsson kit:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=m271+pulley

There's also the RENNTECH kit.

This thread will be very helpful:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...enntech+pulley
Old 10-17-2005, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
dooby dooby doo.... *hides*

flip

the air filter that comes with the K-kit IS a K&N filter. It's also true only 5 (6 max) were made. Search for the kleemann video that was posted up here a while ago .

Last edited by mig888; 10-17-2005 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by mig888
dooby dooby doo.... *hides*

flip

god damn Flip, stop tempting me! if I only had the $$...

and, speaking of pulley kits, what ever happened to Evosport's? :p

Last edited by nlpamg; 10-17-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Originally Posted by nlpamg

god damn Flip, stop tempting me! if I only had the $$...

and, speaking of pulley kits, what ever happened to Evosports? :p

yes... hehe.. you know my secret don't you ;D. shh! lol everyone was probably wondering when I was going to chime in huh?

flip
Old 10-17-2005, 02:15 PM

The Kleemann rep emailed me back. Here's what he had to say:

I can have that kit in 3 days time and you will be looking at $2495
installed. The kit retails for $2150 plus shipping. I need 3 hours to
install it and I require a 100% deposit on special ordered parts.

Let me know if you would like to proceed.

Does this seem correct as far as pricing? They're only charging $345.00 for installation but the kit seems just a tad expensive for what you're getting. How much can a pulley set go for, really? The K&N I just ordered was $65.00 w/shipping so that leaves us with the K-BOX. There's no way that's over a thousand dollars.

Am I better off getting my own parts or should I give Kleemann a consideration?

I'm thanking everyone for their opinions and suggestions.

Wow! It looks like the Carlsson kit is like $1k more expensive than the Kleemann kit for the same parts. Read it here: https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....0&postcount=17.

Last edited by Zillarpillow23; 10-17-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by nlpamg

and, speaking of pulley kits, what ever happened to Evosport's? :p

Just called :v Evilsport...whooops i mean evosport... and they said "It is currently in manufactoring and will be out in 3 weeks."

NOTE: They have said it will be out in 3 weeks for the last 5 months...
Old 10-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Does this seem correct as far as pricing? They're only charging $345.00 for installation but the kit seems just a tad expensive for what you're getting. How much can a pulley set go for, really? The K&N I just ordered was $65.00 w/shipping so that leaves us with the K-BOX. There's no way that's over a thousand dollars.

Wow! It looks like the Carlsson kit is like $1k more expensive than the Kleemann kit for the same parts. Read it here: https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....0&postcount=17.

Kleemann is a rip....save your money and eventually evosport will come out with something... Its not worth the thousands of dollars for only 20HP.... Personally id rather buy a faster car or at least save up for one with that money....Just my .02 cents.....
Old 10-17-2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by XxC230xX
Kleemann is a rip....save your money and eventually evosport will come out with something... Its not worth the thousands of dollars for only 20HP.... Personally id rather buy a faster car or at least save up for one with that money....Just my .02 cents.....
You're probably right. I did and still do have evosport in mind. It's just a little confusing with so many kits on the market (except for ours..yet) that amount to the same parts as far as performance upgrades, and the prices fluctuate in the thousands. Who do you believe and who has the better product?

Old 10-17-2005, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE

But you know why though, right? There any more K-kits in the U.S. And unfortunately (or fortunately for that matter), those of us who jumped on its group buy got lucky. I'll be damned if I paid that much for the kit . nlpamg, shh!! haha. And btw megaman, I don't think you should be posting any e-mails out in public between you and the big K. The Kleemann kit was not a rip back in my day, lol.

flip
Old 10-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Almost a Member!

You're probably right. I did and still do have evosport in mind. It's just a little confusing with so many kits on the market (except for ours..yet) that amount to the same parts as far as performance upgrades, and the prices fluctuate in the thousands. Who do you believe and who has the better product?

The reason I believe that no products are out yet is because w203 owners WANT a kit but WONT put up the money for it...Meaning if we had a group buy right now tons of people would be interested but then when it comes to pay time not many will actually pay and the price rises again....Plus Mercedes products have always been $$$.... Evosport if they have a any type of common sense will sell their kit for maybe $600 at the highest because it will attract more buyers because it is a more realistic price and may stil be somewhat high but really not because other kits are 1,000's of dollars.....They would make so many sales if they dropped the price lower and would recover their losses from manufacturing the pulley in a heartbeat and then some more......EVOSPORT I HOPE YOUR READING THIS THREAD! SEE THE POTENTIAL YOU HAVE RIGHT NOW!!!
Old 10-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Almost a Member!

But you know why though, right? There any more K-kits in the U.S. And unfortunately (or fortunately for that matter), those of us who jumped on its group buy got lucky. I'll be damned if I paid that much for the kit . nlpamg, shh!! haha. And btw megaman, I don't think you should be posting any e-mails out in public between you and the big K. The Kleemann kit was not a rip back in my day, lol.

flip
IMO if you paid over a $1,000 for 20HP you got RaPeD...
Old 10-17-2005, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
The reason I believe that no products are out yet is because w203 owners WANT a kit but WONT put up the money for it...Meaning if we had a group buy right now tons of people would be interested but then when it comes to pay time not many will actually pay and the price rises again....Plus Mercedes products have always been $$$.... Evosport if they have a any type of common sense will sell their kit for maybe $600 at the highest because it will attract more buyers because it is a more realistic price and may stil be somewhat high but really not because other kits are 1,000's of dollars.....They would make so many sales if they dropped the price lower and would recover their losses from manufacturing the pulley in a heartbeat and then some more......EVOSPORT I HOPE YOUR READING THIS THREAD! SEE THE POTENTIAL YOU HAVE RIGHT NOW!!!
IMO if you paid over a $1,000 for 20HP you got RaPeD...
Now I KNOW you just didn't state that when just a few months ago on mbklasse you were just about ready to spend $2080 (and even willing to have that drop if 5 listed) on the kleemann pulley kit group buy. In fact you were on the top of the list (i.e. Topline exclusive?) unless you're not the same xxlancaxx.

Exactly the case with what happened when these kits were first released. Like I say, I went "all in" with the group buy price (obviously was worth the risk with what it was priced at), became guinea pig of california, and wow look, I've got myself a pulley kit. Surprise? Just so happens the group buy actually worked (big whoop) with the Kleemann kit with so few of them around. Raped for 1000+? Say I spent 1300 when the kit first came out. Does the exclusivity of having 1/5 kits in the U.S. (nlp, shh again haha) make up for the 300? What about in taking pride in being involved with Kleemann (thanks again Brandon and Corey) for continually updating me with news, developments and SUPPORT (damn right, it was there anytime I needed it AND in different time zones too!). And look, the kit is real .

flip

For kicks, damn right they sent me those badges .
Decent Intakes for 1.8 When?-finalplate.jpg

Last edited by mig888; 10-17-2005 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:09 PM
Almost a Member!

For kicks, damn right they sent me those badges .
The badges should be made of PLATINUM.... Once again IMO its easier to NOS the intercooler and you'll get more HP than the pullied car and its cheaper and the dealer cant detect it.....$2080 is extremely high for a little 20 HP pulley... THats $104.00 Per HP... Assuming the pulley actually gives 20 HP.... Im sure the kit is great and well made but for 2 g's ill pass all day long....would much rather go to the world series game here in chicago! GO SOX! Oh BTW its 2080 for the kit and another 300 for installation... it just keeps adding up!
Old 10-17-2005, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
The badges should be made of PLATINUM.... Once again IMO its easier to NOS the intercooler and you'll get more HP than the pullied car and its cheaper and the dealer cant detect it.....$2080 is extremely high for a little 20 HP pulley... THats $104.00 Per HP... Assuming the pulley actually gives 20 HP.... Im sure the kit is great and well made but for 2 g's ill pass all day long....would much rather go to the world series game here in chicago! GO SOX! Oh BTW its 2080 for the kit and another 300 for installation... it just keeps adding up!
Or a custom aquamist injection system? It is true though, the price per hp is not what it used to be, makes me happy I did what I did at the time though. Installation was "special" for me as well and Roco at Topline did an excellent job.

flip
Old 10-18-2005, 01:54 AM

And btw megaman, I don't think you should be posting any e-mails out in public between you and the big K. The Kleemann kit was not a rip back in my day, lol.
It was actually a local K-reseller. I would never do that outright. I'm surprised you're one of the very few if not the only one on here that possess some old school knowledge (NES)! Anyway, hats off to you getting in on a group buy. I wish I could be part of something like that with some users on here. How many buyers were in your group? And how is the performance kit?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Decent Intakes for 1.8 When?