C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Bad Car day!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Bad Car day!!

I went to a local friend garage, been in and out of there for the past 8 years of service. I went there today with my C320 coupe, hoping to change the tranny fluid. (It turns out to be a dark mud color!?) and i have like 21000 on the car. The smart mechanic, dropped in 4 bottles of Mercedes ATF into...my ENGINE, and I drove my car for 2 blocks, and drove back kuz the car jerked, wouldnt change gears and the check engine light went on! was so pissed offf...I ended up changing the motor oil +filter, tranny fluid +filter, woof sucked butt...

but yeah...one thing... my muffler doesnt make that deep sound anymore...any idea why!?
Old 10-15-2005, 09:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS
Originally Posted by advans
I went to a local friend garage, been in and out of there for the past 8 years of service. I went there today with my C320 coupe, hoping to change the tranny fluid. (It turns out to be a dark mud color!?) and i have like 21000 on the car. The smart mechanic, dropped in 4 bottles of Mercedes ATF into...my ENGINE, and I drove my car for 2 blocks, and drove back kuz the car jerked, wouldnt change gears and the check engine light went on! was so pissed offf...I ended up changing the motor oil +filter, tranny fluid +filter, woof sucked butt...

but yeah...one thing... my muffler doesnt make that deep sound anymore...any idea why!?

Are you joking or have you been drinking ??

Would not conventional wisdom say if your car displayed all these symptoms along with the fact your mech. filled the engine with ATF fluid, that major internal damage could have been done to the engine hence the change in the exhaust pitch ??
Old 10-15-2005, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 151 Posts
99 E320
Old 10-15-2005, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 . RX 350.
I wouldnt bring my BENZ to "local friend garage"
so many horor stories. puting 4 bottles of ATF in your engine doesnt sounds good
Old 10-15-2005, 10:19 PM

2006 C280
Ouch. Just ouch. I truly hope it turns out ok without major anything.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Mud? Did you change the fluid because of transmission problems? How did he remove the trans fluid? Check your coolant....if it is low or contaminated with oil you may have the dreaded radiator/transmission cooler leak problem. You're still under warranty so why not go to the dealer?
Old 10-15-2005, 10:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Wow.

Just, wow.

Please have that car thoroughly inspected asap. Sorry to hear this.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by respdoc

Are you joking or have you been drinking ??

Would not conventional wisdom say if your car displayed all these symptoms along with the fact your mech. filled the engine with ATF fluid, that major internal damage could have been done to the engine hence the change in the exhaust pitch ??

nah i havnt been drinking, ur drinking, read what i wrote, this guy put 4 bottles of ATF in my engine, my tranny been having issues, but the MB dealers here wont do anything about it. I'm just saying, after everything the exhaust just sounds diff...
Old 10-16-2005, 12:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS
nah i havnt been drinking, ur drinking, read what i wrote, this guy put 4 bottles of ATF in my engine, my tranny been having issues, but the MB dealers here wont do anything about it. I'm just saying, after everything the exhaust just sounds diff...

You never mentioned that the tranny has been having issues just "the smart mech dropped in 4 bottles of Mercedes ATF into...my ENGINE, and I drove my car for 2 blocks, and drove back kuz the car jerked, wouldnt change gears and the check engine light went on! "

Doesn't really matter though since either way the car is having multi-system failures..(think the term "FUBAR" fits well here)..

BTW..What details are you leaving out of the story ? Why would you try to fix the problem by changing the oil after the damage is done ?? If your friend owns the shop doesn't he carry some type of insurance to cover these "mishaps" and until you talked with the adjuster, why run the risk of them delaying or denying the claim trying to put the blame on you for something you did ?

Last edited by respdoc; 10-16-2005 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
uhhh theres no problem with it now, its just that i had a hassel to change all the oils
Old 10-16-2005, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
and besides, thats how we roll in brooklyn
Old 10-16-2005, 12:44 AM
Almost a Member!

ATF was used as an additive to engine oils in older cars to help clean the sludge out. This was adding a pint or so, and running briefly.

ATF apparently contains compounds, such as brass, which could foul your convertors. I'd take a look at them, especially given your sudden, noticable change in exhaust note.

Hope this all works out for you without consequences.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
a bad car day indeed
Old 10-16-2005, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
This will soon be the most linked too thread at MBWorld...no doubt the ricers are already posting about stupid MB owners....

Well, on the plus side, that whole drive train will soon be having problems...so the dealer will have to fix it.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
car seems to be running fine today, lol ricer forums posting about stupid MB owners? lolss what abt MB owners posting about stupid ricers with ironing boards(spoilers) attached to their trunks?

you guys should check out

www.laughatrice.com

they have the funniest cars lols =]
Old 10-16-2005, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 C350 4MATIC
Important Point

When the motor tosses a rod, smears a main bearing or starts to have horrible compression due to scored cylnder walls... you may not want to tell the dealer about the ATF incident.

Unless you want to buy a new drivetrain out-of-warranty.

One consolidation, you probably got rid of the sludge in the oil pan.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by Tishers
When the motor tosses a rod, smears a main bearing or starts to have horrible compression due to scored cylnder walls... you may not want to tell the dealer about the ATF incident.

Unless you want to buy a new drivetrain out-of-warranty.

One consolidation, you probably got rid of the sludge in the oil pan.
yeah i'ma change the engine oil a few times and drive it for a while before i bring it back to the stealers, my uncle works as a sales manager, so i dont think theres a problem if anything happens
Old 10-19-2005, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp

I thought all 2003 MB's came with free scheduled maintenance. If so, why would you bring your car somewhere other than an MB dealership???
Old 10-19-2005, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by NY C32
I thought all 2003 MB's came with free scheduled maintenance. If so, why would you bring your car somewhere other than an MB dealership???

yeah mb does come with a free scheduled maintenance, i dropped my car off at mb manhatt a few times, they refused to change the tranny fluid, but i KNOW that the trany fluid is like crap color, kuz it does a few drips a week. the ATF that dripped out, was similar to... "water mixed with ,miracle growth soil" it was dark brown, and ATF is a clearish pink..uggg, sometimes the service pisses me off

by the way, NYC32, which dealer do u go to? maybe i should switch the location, thinking about going to soverign, or silverstar... my friend joel (who now works at soverign) told me that mbmanhatt's technicians are now all newbs, did I tell you guys, I had to get my jumpseat on the coupe fixed, they forgot to put back the wire that makes the seat jump

Last edited by advans; 10-19-2005 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
yeah mb does come with a free scheduled maintenance, i dropped my car off at mb manhatt a few times, they refused to change the tranny fluid...
Probably because on a car of this age, transmission fluid should not be changed... there's absolutely no need to do so. I've been told by several transmission mechanics that with today's modern trannys, you NEVER need to change the fluid (that's NEVER, EVER, even on an old car) unless there is a terminal problem with the transmission. I learned this after a bitter experience years ago when I had a "friendly mechanic" flush the tranny on a minivan with 80,000 miles. The process dislodged particles that trashed the transmission.

If you have it documented with the MB dealer (you should have paper copies of the service request) that you requested them to change the fluid because of the leaks and that you suspected the color indicated a problem, you may have a chance at warranty recovery with the regional service manager. Otherwise, once you take it outside the MB network to your "friendly shadetree guy" you're on your own, especially if you have done something to the tranny to change the color of the fluid... I really think there is more to this story you're not telling us.

and besides, thats how we roll in brooklyn
Really, advans, I don't know "how they roll in Brooklyn" but the cumulative total of your posts indicate that you may actually roll on a different planet.

Think before your respond, as this moderator doesn't tolerate name-calling. If you don't like what I've written, complain to me in a Private Message.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
yeah mb does come with a free scheduled maintenance, i dropped my car off at mb manhatt a few times, they refused to change the tranny fluid, but i KNOW that the trany fluid is like crap color, kuz it does a few drips a week. the ATF that dripped out, was similar to... "water mixed with ,miracle growth soil" it was dark brown, and ATF is a clearish pink..uggg, sometimes the service pisses me off

by the way, NYC32, which dealer do u go to? maybe i should switch the location, thinking about going to soverign, or silverstar... my friend joel (who now works at soverign) told me that mbmanhatt's technicians are now all newbs, did I tell you guys, I had to get my jumpseat on the coupe fixed, they forgot to put back the wire that makes the seat jump
Maybe they wouldn't change the tranny fluid because it didn't need to be changed. If you were having problems with the transmission, you should've brought it in and had it inspected and reparied by MB. Instead, you had a 'friend' change the transmission fluid and completely f*ck it up. Now you may have voided your warranty on your transmission.

I only service my C32 at MB-Manhattan and always work with one SA.

MB-Manhattan isn't perfect and they don't fix every problem the first time around but they will keep working on my car until I say its perfect because its my car. My SA knows that and is as demanding of his team as I am of him to get my car fixed right.

The SA is your liason between you and the techs touching your car so its important to make sure your SA understands what the problem is and what your expectations are. If for some reason they can't find the problem or duplicate it when its in the shop, I'll go back in and duplicate it for them.

Bottom line is as long as my C32 is under warranty, MB is the only one touching my car

Last edited by NY C32; 10-19-2005 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
.....I went there today with my C320 coupe, hoping to change the tranny fluid......
Time to trade in this "C32 AMG" and all your other cars "ML500, E500, S430 4mat" and get your "CLS500 and a G500 soon" as you had mentioned on another thread.
Attached Thumbnails Bad Car day!!-not-so-amg.jpg  
Old 10-19-2005, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart

you're f#cked !

Old 10-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Banned

Lol
Old 10-19-2005, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by NO_WUR_E
Time to trade in this "C32 AMG" and all your other cars "ML500, E500, S430 4mat" and get your "CLS500 and a G500 soon" as you had mentioned on another thread.

hahah why am i trading this in? whats it gota do with the ATF issue?

NYC32, yeah the warrenty shouldnt be void, the filter+everything else is the same. i called mbusa before i did this, but under a unknown user name. MBmanhatt never fix anything

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad Car day!!