C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

golf club sets fit in the trunk of the sedan?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 01:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally posted by trench
Tiger's "Nike" clubs are about as close to what Nike sells to the public as McLaren's Mercedes motor is to what is in our cars.
What option would that be?
I'm guessing C10,000,000
Old 07-19-2002, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 K
Originally posted by tommy
What option would that be?
I'm guessing C10,000,000
With the disturbing lack of reliability the race team has shown this season - I'm also guessing no free maintenance.

BT
Old 07-19-2002, 02:51 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
You really don't believe that part about switching, do you? Why would he switch? Don't you think that he can get custom clubs from them whenever he wants? Don't believe the hype.
Tiger Woods could wipe half the field with a set of wiffle ball bats.

Most of the pros can play well with any club. The actual choice of clubs is an endorsement decision. TW plays Nike clubs because he has a well-known endorsement deal with Nike. But if it means winning or losing a Grand Slam or two, don't doubt for a minute that he'll switch if he loses confidence in them.

If that proviso really is in his contract, it would be because of past players who have signed exclusive endorsement deals and suffered when their performances went down. A few years ago, some pros were playing with their fav clubs, just relabelled to match their endorsements, or they would carry their old stand-by sticks in the golf BAG provided by the endorser.

I think it's a smart move. People remember the great golfers for their playing records, number of wins in majors, etc., not their club choices.
Old 07-19-2002, 03:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally posted by MB-BOB
A few years ago, some pros were playing with their fav clubs, just relabelled to match their endorsements, or they would carry their old stand-by sticks in the golf BAG provided by the endorser.
You really don't believe that part about switching, do you? Why would he switch? Don't you think that he can get custom clubs from them whenever he wants? Don't believe the hype.

Tommy, no I don't believe that. I just posted that comment to see what others thought. I'm sure that if he decided to change clubs, there would be consequences for him such as loss of endorsement money. He probably is not allowed under contract to endorse other's equipment either. So technically, the statement is proabably true...

Bob, I can see this happening as well. If Tiger decided he would want to switch to Ping, I bet Nike would either knock off the club just for him (custom), or they would just relabel it. Normally the pros will list what they carry in their bags and what ball they are using before the game (I'm not sure if this is required). You can nomally go on the Golf Channel website to see what any pro is carrying during a tourney.
Old 07-19-2002, 03:06 PM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by MB-BOB
[B]... But if it means winning or losing a Grand Slam or two, don't doubt for a minute that he'll switch if he loses confidence in them...[B]
I don't know, a $100MM deal with Nike versus two let's say $1.5MM grandslam purses. I think he will stay with Nike, or at least adhere to the other rumor I heard. I heard that for years, Tiger was playing with Mizuno clubs (or Mizuno modelled) that had the Titlist label because those were the clubs he was used to.
Old 07-19-2002, 03:08 PM

C32 AMG
You beat me to it Revstriker!!!