C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2006 C230 SS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
2006 C230 SS

Well, got one for a loaner. Automatic of course for the loaner. Noticeabley slower getting on the highway as in 0-60, may be the fact that it shifts so damn much. Tranny hunts all over the place during slower acceleration as well. Handling, Braking and interior fit and finish is excellant though. Has heated seats and power drivers seat as well. Leather too. Just missing Bi-Xenons and HK system and Nav!

All in all I prefer the M271, but of course she could grow on me since I never bought the Coupe for speed anyhow. If I was to get a sedan though it would have to be a C350SS with the six speed. Just the way I am, although with that engine I am sure the SlushBox is much better due to the increased power and need for less shifts.

The new six is smooth power wise, but lacks it off the line, may be the slushbox and me being used to a 6 speed tranny and the old clutch. Making launching much better! But all in all I think the lower amount of tourque and the change in power band is awefull on this engine compared to the M271 and especially the M111. Oh well I guess MB got what they wanted in it. Highway is great with it, but still the extra shifts are noticed with the seven speed auto. I think the M271 has more pull on the highway as well. I have driven the M271 Auomatic sedan as well and can tell the diference. But like I said it could be the extra gears and extra shifting that is the major thing noticed. That and the lack of low end tourque that does not even break the rears lose as easy as the M271 one does.

Anyone else have the pleasure of driving the 2006 models.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Almost a Member!

When starting out it seems real slow in the slushbox, you really have to floor it.
It has a more luxury feel now.

I guess to counteract that, I think the Kleeman supercharger kit next Spring will be an option and hopefully make a noticed difference.

If you feel the need to spend 10 grand more for the same car but extra power then go for it.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well unfortunately for MBUSA I will not be trading soon as there is no more coupe. So it may be a BMW next for the wife and I. Oh well we will see when the time comes.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C230 SS
i have a 2006 C230 SS... i love it...
Old 11-07-2005, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nice car, I just am not liking the tranny. I am sure if it adapted to me and all that maybe I would like it better. Of course if it was mine it would be a 6 speed anyhow so the 7 speed would not bother me so much then. I find that even with the slightest of gas pedal pressure at say 80 MPH and it downshifts to slowly accelerate. And I am only giving it minimal gas. Went from 7-6 just to accel 5MPH. Not exactly what I like to feel. Also noticed that when floored from a dead stop and then let off the pedal as you may be at speed you wanted, that the next shift which I am sure skipped a gear or two caused the car to lurch forward as the tranny shifted and the engine rev'ed down, but not quick enough. Basically it held engine RPM high after let off and shifted causing it to jump or lurch forward at the shift. Not exactly what I expected as I have driven a few Auto Benz's and never noticed this so much.

I will give it this though, the engine is smooth. But that hunting tranny killed me. Maybe they should have stayed with the 5 speed, since the 7 speed at highway speed was rev'ing the same amount as a 5 speed would, maybe slightly less RPM like 100-200 but still for adding two more gears it did not do anything so far that I see other than make for 2 more shifts.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:44 PM

Volkswagen Golf
I've driven a friend's 06' C230 and for me it was perfect! I don't drive for speed and just like to cruz...but I did notice just regular city driving there are too many gears for it! I really don't have any other complaints. I'd buy one in a heart beat!
Old 11-08-2005, 01:08 AM

2017 E300, 2017 GL450
I also am in love with my C230 SS. It's got plenty of pickup and more then enough speed for day to day activities. This model fit my budget and had all the toys to keep me happy for years to come. I supppose I could of spent more money on less to gain some HP...but why? If i wanted pure HP, i definately would not of bought a Mercedes.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:39 AM

2006 C230
Originally Posted by Abspara
I also am in love with my C230 SS. It's got plenty of pickup and more then enough speed for day to day activities. This model fit my budget and had all the toys to keep me happy for years to come. I supppose I could of spent more money on less to gain some HP...but why? If i wanted pure HP, i definately would not of bought a Mercedes.
well said and I agree, if I wanted pure horse power I would have bought and sti or an evo. Hell if I wanted the most power for the least amount of money I would have bought an SRT-4. I'm getting a little older these days and i'm not a kid anymore and I want a little style and class out of my car. If I really wanted all that power I could have bought the C55. I was approved and had the money just didn't care for the big car payment. I bought an 06 C230 and the car's great. I have driven an 05 and an 06 back to back and personally I like the feel of the 06 much better. Who cares if the car is half a second slower, it's not like it's that fast of a car to begin with. My modded eclipse, modded civic and GTI are faster but did I really buy the C230 for how fast it is or because of it's style, ride, comfort, handling and so on.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I could care less that it is slower, by almost a full second. But if you compare to its competition it is slow as death. The new 2006 BMW 325i is almost 2 seconds quicker to 60. But alas that really does not matter to me to has the faster 0-60.

What matters is all the darn shifting and yes it is slower that my 2003 getting on the highway which matter here in PA where the on-ramps are short. I am actually surprised they did not keep it at least as quick as the old model, should have made it a hair quicker actually, confused why they went backwards. As for the shifting, I feel no need for the tranny to downshift at 70MPH when I give it a 1/16 of the pedal to get to 75MPH. I do not need to downshift my 6 speed to achieve this. I could see if I dropped the hammer or gave it half pedal but at the small amount I put my foot down there was no need for downshifting. Too much shifting for my tastes and people crabbed the M271 Sport Sedan shifted too much with the 5 speed. Personally I see no need for a seven speed tranny in this car. If it had more power maybe but the C class should have stuck with the 5 speed. Keep the 7 speed for the bigger cars with more powerfull engines. Maybe I just need to drive a 6 speed version. Oh and the new 6 is a dog at lower RPMS and off the line as well. I like my power for off the line and highway on-ramp merging. But it is great on the highway, other than all the shifting, good smooth acceleration when needed.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:46 AM

2006 C230
I live in cali, I know all about short on ramps and merging traffic. I commute an hour to work in the morning and an hour and a half home every day and i've never had any of the problems you keep talking about but maybe it's just me. The BMW imo has always been more performance driven so why did you buy your C230 in the first place when the BMW has been quicker. I considered the new 3 series when looking at new cars and I didn't like the way they looked and I couldn't justify the added cost for the car. I don't mind paying for my service on the MB as I go as opposed to paying for them all up front for the BMW just so I can feel like all the services are free. I'm guessing I see things the way I do cause I drove the 2 cars back to back and I'm sure you've owned yours for awhile now and are used to the feel. Both cars drive different and maybe the reason I didn't like the way the older ones drove is because I was driving it like I would my 06 and just the opposite for you. The new Acura TL has 70 more HP but when I drove it the car didn't ride as nice, handle as good or even brake as good imo. When I got on the gas it sure didn't seem like it had 70 more hp.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
we have an '06 C230 as a loaner as well. I noticed that when I floored it from a stop in drive, the tranny stumbled at about 2200 RPM's, and revved slowly to the redline, like it was in too high of a gear.(it was in S mode) It did this every time I floored it. However, It did not do this when I put it in 1st gear using touch shift Compared to the old SOHC V6's, this engine revs so much quieter and smoother, although there was a noticeable shake through the front seats at idle. I'm guessing this was from the use of regular grade gas, because I did hear the engine ping quite a few times when I floored it,even though the knock sensors are supposed to prevent this. Overall, it's a great, solid,quiet, smooth car, and the engine had plenty of power.Nice exhuast note too
Old 11-09-2005, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by akbro93704
we have an '06 C230 as a loaner as well. I noticed that when I floored it from a stop in drive, the tranny stumbled at about 2200 RPM's, and revved slowly to the redline, like it was in too high of a gear.(it was in S mode) It did this every time I floored it. However, It did not do this when I put it in 1st gear using touch shift Compared to the old SOHC V6's, this engine revs so much quieter and smoother, although there was a noticeable shake through the front seats at idle. I'm guessing this was from the use of regular grade gas, because I did hear the engine ping quite a few times when I floored it,even though the knock sensors are supposed to prevent this. Overall, it's a great, solid,quiet, smooth car, and the engine had plenty of power.Nice exhuast note too
I felt the idle as well. More than my 4 banger, which I do not feel at all. I got mine back and was so happy. Also noticed the Coupe has more bolster in the seat as well. My back was not feeling good after the 2006 sedan!!! Oh well, When I am ready for the one to replace my 190 I will have to look at them all now, not sold on the newer MB's!!!!
Old 11-09-2005, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
My stupid parking brake is broke again(C-Class has the ****tiest parking brakes), so I expect I'll get a chance to lumber around in the 'new' C230 sometime soon. Almost seems like MB should have kept the C240 moniker around....the performance of the new small six would feel right at home in a C240
Old 11-09-2005, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
Originally Posted by Outland
My stupid parking brake is broke again(C-Class has the ****tiest parking brakes), so I expect I'll get a chance to lumber around in the 'new' C230 sometime soon. Almost seems like MB should have kept the C240 moniker around....the performance of the new small six would feel right at home in a C240
I agree, I would have liked to see the C230 and C280 engines switched. Have a C280SS and C350SS and a C240 lux with the 2.5l.

I drove a '06 6MT C230, and with the manual it isnt a bad car, pulls pretty good at highway speeds. But the M271 in third gear is a blast on a twisty road. Too bad I dont have the TQ and power of your car Outland. I am considering the Renntech pulley and ECU though (my dealer is the NE dealer for Renntech, and the owner of the dealership is good friends with the owner of Renntech so I'm told... This all means the dealership is VERY mod friendly!)
Old 11-09-2005, 09:54 AM

2006 MB C230, Black on Black
Thumbs up O6 vs 05 C230Ss

My 2006 C230 should be arriving here within 2 weeks. Bought a black on black with 7speed trans, sunroof package, H/K stereo upgrade, chromed factory sport wheels (dealer is having them chromed), memory steering column and power seats, Tele-Aid & concierge, collision and road side assist. I love this car. I drove a 05 and then a 06. I like the heavier & easier feel of the 6 cyl. rather than the winding sound of the 4 cyl. The one main thing that I did not like about the 2005 was the exhaust sound when merging into traffic or taking off from a stop sign. I hate to say this but it sounds like a "sick lawn mower" taking off! I talked to the MB service about this and they said they have had complaints but there is nothing they can do about it.
Anyway I do love the 2006 and can't wait until i get it!
Old 11-09-2005, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I turned it back in yesterday. Don't get me wrong I did not hate the car. Then again I would have got a 6 speed anyhow so it would not be a problem for me. I am sure over time I would have got used to it and adapted, not to mention the tranny would have had time to adapt to my driving style as well. But alas I like more control with my so called Sport Sedan so I would prefer the MT anyhow. I will give it this though, it handled damn good.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:45 PM

05 SL500 - 00 323i
Interesting. I've been wondering about the new series of C-class engines, since every once in a great while I have to run against them at the track (or even during autocross). During fresh laps, the supercharged model was a good match for the 323i, but they used to heat soak quickly during the hot days that we get so frequently down here. I figured the naturally aspirated models would have better endurance, but now it seems that they don't have the raw power of the supercharged four.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:13 PM

2006 C230
Originally Posted by Gottfried
Interesting. I've been wondering about the new series of C-class engines, since every once in a great while I have to run against them at the track (or even during autocross). During fresh laps, the supercharged model was a good match for the 323i, but they used to heat soak quickly during the hot days that we get so frequently down here. I figured the naturally aspirated models would have better endurance, but now it seems that they don't have the raw power of the supercharged four.
drive one and see.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 CLS550 4Matic
Just test drove an '06 C350 (luxury) when I ordered my '06 C350SS - They didn't have any 350SS to test drive. I LOVED the more power of the 3.5 over my current 3.2 but I couldn't stand the 7spd auto tranny... It shifted way too many times and made poor use of the 3.5 power and torque. I didn't think twice about ordering the 6spd manual for my 350SS as I have in my 320SS.

-Jeff
Old 11-09-2005, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Seems more of the complaints here are about that 7 speed auto. I prefer the 6 speed MT and everyone here that has a 6 MT and has driven the Auto 7 speed thinks it sucks. Oh well all the auto people probably would not mind it.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:13 PM

2006 C230
Originally Posted by mctwin2kman
Seems more of the complaints here are about that 7 speed auto. I prefer the 6 speed MT and everyone here that has a 6 MT and has driven the Auto 7 speed thinks it sucks. Oh well all the auto people probably would not mind it.
well that's a given, a MT is always more fun over an AT. I will get a second one with a MT but the AT does alright by me. My GTI is a manual and it gets old when you commute like I do.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 06C230
well that's a given, a MT is always more fun over an AT. I will get a second one with a MT but the AT does alright by me. My GTI is a manual and it gets old when you commute like I do.
I thought that may be the case with my Coupe, figured the wife would get sick of shifting. Boy was I wrong, she loves the thing and I only get to drive it on weekends... Well that is my choice as I could take it in the morning but I let her have it. I really like the W203 Clutch, it is very light and easy on the leg so it does not annoy me to have to shift in traffic, then again I never hold the clutch as stop lights anyhow so it does not wear the leg out to make it too bad for city driving. To each there own, I just did not like all the shifts of the seven speed, maybe I would get used to it but it annoyed the crap out of me the two days I had that loaner. Not sure a 7 speed was really needed here as it did not seem to run the engine at any lower RPM at highway speed than the 5 speed did. Also the gas mileage in that 2006 was horrid compared to my M271 Coupe. I drive like I stole it so I get crap mileage anyhow, but 4MPG diference is quite a lot. I even did my normal highway driving and had the cruise set and reset the indicator for Economy. 2006 got 6-7 MPG lower than my 2003 does on the same stretch for 10 miles. Oh well like I said I would get used to it most likely.....
Old 11-10-2005, 10:38 AM

2006 C230
Originally Posted by mctwin2kman
I thought that may be the case with my Coupe, figured the wife would get sick of shifting. Boy was I wrong, she loves the thing and I only get to drive it on weekends... Well that is my choice as I could take it in the morning but I let her have it. I really like the W203 Clutch, it is very light and easy on the leg so it does not annoy me to have to shift in traffic, then again I never hold the clutch as stop lights anyhow so it does not wear the leg out to make it too bad for city driving. To each there own, I just did not like all the shifts of the seven speed, maybe I would get used to it but it annoyed the crap out of me the two days I had that loaner. Not sure a 7 speed was really needed here as it did not seem to run the engine at any lower RPM at highway speed than the 5 speed did. Also the gas mileage in that 2006 was horrid compared to my M271 Coupe. I drive like I stole it so I get crap mileage anyhow, but 4MPG diference is quite a lot. I even did my normal highway driving and had the cruise set and reset the indicator for Economy. 2006 got 6-7 MPG lower than my 2003 does on the same stretch for 10 miles. Oh well like I said I would get used to it most likely.....

yeah 5 days a week with an hour and a half commute both ways in stop and go traffic with a ten and a half hour work day it will wear out your leg. This is the first auto i've had in awhile and it's kinda nice to not have to worry about the clutch. I've owned my car almost a month and a half now and I have almost 4k miles on it already and even commuted on my bike several of the days as well. with as much driving as I do I opted to not get the MT for this car cause it's one of my commuter cars. We have some of the worst commute traffic out here in the bay area you'd be working the clutch the whole time. A MT is more fun but if I want more fun on my commute to work I'll take the bike and split traffic for the whole commute.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by SwedeMercedes
I guess I can have the best of both worlds, automatic to cruise in or use the shifter from 1 through drive.
Its not the same, not even by a longshot.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:42 PM

2006 MB C230, Black on Black
What I did to that 2006 C230 SS automatic on the 4th and longest test drive was basically took it to the Autobahn, on US roads anyway! Like I said even from a standing start, in C mode in S mode, on the freeway, in the corners, using the manual 1 through drive, trying like hell to make it do anything close to what some posters here have said it does, I personally could not make it happen. Now I will agree the younger crowd or people who like to shift possibly have more fun in the MT but for me the automatic with option of the "1 through Drive manual shifting" is very acceptable in my world.
Now for the coupe that I hear is going out of production, has never been one of my favorites (politely), I personally thought it never followed any Mercedes look except from the front. Also I would think that MB should have introduced the person who designed the back of the car to the person who designed the front.

That is just my opinion and we all know about those!

**2006 C230 SS Black on Black leather inserts, H/K audio upgrade, auto tilt/tele steering wheel and memory seats, sunroof package, tele-aid, factory chromed wheels (dealer is actually having them chromed), 7 speed automatic.**

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 C230 SS