C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Flat, Run Flat Indicator, and Low Profile Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 C230
Flat, Run Flat Indicator, and Low Profile Tires

When Sunman came to Dallas last month, he installed the Ipod interface and programmed the MOST ring for the phone. While his DAS was connected to my C230, he asked me if I wanted the Run-Flat-Indicator activated. I haven't had any thought about it and didn't know what to say...but finally said OK.

Last week, the Run-Flat-Indicator went off. My tires looked fine and I thought it was a false alarm...Probably why the system is not standard. But when I measured the pressure later, I found a tire with 20psi instead of 32psi. I looked more carefully and surely found a nail.

So the system did actually work perfectly and saved me from driving weeks or more with a flat, and maybe damage the tire!!
The problem with low profile tires is that it's impossible to detect a loss of pressure visually.
So thanks Sunman!! You saved my life!!

The happy story ends here though. I took the wheel to be fixed, and of course they had to scratch my shiny rim with their dirty tire removal machine. I watched the guy. He knew what it was doing, but he just didn't pay attention and worked too fast. It's a Mercedes! Not your old truck's wheel! They also damaged one of the "jack-block" underneath the car.

I guess I had no choice, because I don't own a tire removal machine.
Could anybody tell me for next time what kind of place would take extra care when working on a car?

Last edited by bnzct; 11-09-2005 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-09-2005, 03:42 PM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
Can you post a pic of what the tire pressure display looks like the in the center cluster? Thanks.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:00 PM

01 C200K | 02 CLK320 | 11 C250 Coupe (current)
Originally Posted by diamondblak05
Can you post a pic of what the tire pressure display looks like the in the center cluster? Thanks.
If you mean the MFD, I hope this helps:

http://homepage.mac.com/drsunilpatel/PhotoAlbum14.html

Scroll 3/4 of the way down!
Old 11-09-2005, 05:01 PM
Almost a Member!

06 C230
Picts of Run Flat Indicator

Here are the pictures.
Sorry for the bad quality, I had to use my cell-phone.

I couldn't take the warning screen since I don't have a flat anymore, but it's a red message that comes up and says something like "Check tire pressure".

Sunman has a system that measure the presure with RF sensors in the tires.
While this is a system based on wheel speed: A wheel with a flat tend to be smaller, so will do more RPM than other wheels on the long term.

By the way, I just took these pictures. And yes, it's 90F right now in Dallas...in November!!!
Attached Thumbnails Flat, Run Flat Indicator, and Low Profile Tires-runflat1.jpg   Flat, Run Flat Indicator, and Low Profile Tires-runflat2.jpg  

Last edited by bnzct; 11-09-2005 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
So you're saying that tire pressure sensors are standard equipment, and that the console indicator is disabled? Or did Sunman install the sensors as well?

If they are standard, what models have them? 05 and up or earlier models as well?
Old 11-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Almost a Member!

06 C230
Yes, the equipment is standard (part of traction control: ESP).
The program is already in the car, but not activated.
I'm not sure what models have it. Mine is 2006 C230, and I know 2005 models can do that too. But Sunman would be the one to ask.

Sunman did the activation for me (just setting a selection box on the DAS).
He said dealers can also do that as an option.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by bnzct
Could anybody tell me for next time what kind of place would take extra care when working on a car?
Most tire centers use the machines that are automatic and don't touch the rim other than the clamping/holdown at the center of the rim. I never take it for granted and always ask if I don't see the machine in action. Also ask if they use rubber or plastic on the hold down where it contacts the outside center of the rim. For the jack cups tell them your concern and if they can't accomodate you go elsewhere. <Usually> places that deal in fancy aftermarket rims and performance tires are more careful.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
i am not sure if the dealers can activate this feature as it depends on the DAS system. The picture on my website is of a active tire pressure system which requires sensors in the wheels. The picture that bnzct posted is the correct display.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:38 PM

2005 White C230 SS
Dr.Sunman, are you coming to Canada anytime soon ?
Old 11-09-2005, 07:51 PM

This sounds like a great feature, however, I'm confused by the posts. Is this already programmed on '05 models and it just needs to be activated by DAS or do you need to purchase sensors for each wheel as well?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2005, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
this is a passive system that does not require any sensors installed. It requires activation via DAS system on 05 and newer cars.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:32 PM

01 C200K | 02 CLK320 | 11 C250 Coupe (current)
Appologies for the misleading info.

So in terms of pre 04 models (ie: Mine 2001) you'd have to go for the system you have on your site Sunman, or is there another way/system?
Old 11-09-2005, 08:59 PM

Alright...so how do I get my dealer to activate this? Anyone tried, is there a certain code, etc. that I should inform my dealer about?

This would be an awesome feature to have, why doesn't MBUSA give us these features, were obviously paying for them!
Old 11-09-2005, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
if you have a pre 05 car, replacement of the ESP/BAS module would be required which is still way cheaper than a complete active tire pressure monitor system as I have. The feature is available on the CLK for a couple hundred bucks.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:16 PM

Too many to list
Here are the pictures.

I couldn't take the warning screen since I don't have a flat anymore, but it's a red message that comes up and says something like "Check tire pressure".

While this is a system based on wheel speed: A wheel with a flat tend to be smaller, so will do more RPM than other wheels on the long term.

By the way, I just took these pictures. And yes, it's 90F right now in Dallas...in November!!!

The reason I asked above regarding the display on the MFD was to compared mine. Mine was programmed by Steve also, but he said it couldn't be done. The weird thing is that mine is MY 05...This is all I got after Steve tried to activate it:

Under the "Settings" menu, it only allows me to chose between "psi" and "bar" but nothing happens or displays anything after that screen. So I guess this can be said..... NOT ALL 2005 c-class can be programmed to activate the tire pressure indicator....as most of you keep on saying! Or am I missing something here???

Last edited by diamondblak05; 11-09-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
i already spoke to steve regarding this issue and his DAS needs to be updated to do this. I am sure your 05 can be done though. The Pressure Unit display you have is useless as it's for a active system which is not available on the C class. There are many factors regarding the DAS system that play a role when activating this feature and not all DAS systems are created equally.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:10 PM

Too many to list
Originally Posted by sunman
i already spoke to steve regarding this issue and his DAS needs to be updated to do this. I am sure your 05 can be done though. The Pressure Unit display you have is useless as it's for a active system which is not available on the C class. There are many factors regarding the DAS system that play a role when activating this feature and not all DAS systems are created equally.
Thanks for sharing some light on this....as I was a bit caught offguard when everyone said it could be done on 05+ c-class but Steve said..."nope" to mine! That was one of the features I really wanted to have since I took out my spare tire in place of a subwoofer.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:16 PM

So if you have a '05+ car, all you have to do is have it activated, no additional parts, etc, right? Is there a special name for this setting to inform the dealer about?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by diamondblak05
Thanks for sharing some light on this....as I was a bit caught offguard when everyone said it could be done on 05+ c-class but Steve said..."nope" to mine! That was one of the features I really wanted to have since I took out my spare tire in place of a subwoofer.
DAMMIT! I wanted that done on my car!

I wonder what factors/things are involved for 05's. What packages do you have? Could it be that if you have more/less electronics that it would work?

I hope it works on mine!
Old 11-10-2005, 01:40 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
So.....

Here are the pictures.

What was the process on DAS to activate this tyre pressure monitoring system on your car? I just need to now which menus you/they went through using the Star diagnosis so that I can use the same route with my dealer and see if it is possible on my car.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:17 AM

Too many to list
Originally Posted by nlpamg
DAMMIT! I wanted that done on my car!

What packages do you have?
I have the entertainment package, lighting package, sunroof package, auto trans, power driver's seat w/ memory, heated front seats, and rear fold down seats. Then I added the DVD NAV comand from Steve. Mine was built in 10/04...I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Almost a Member!

06 C230
As said earlier, no need for any special equipment. The only options I have on my 06 C230 are sunroof package and auto-tran.
The system is part of ESP (wheel speed sensors) and ESP is standard.
The activation menu on the DAS is within the instrument cluster module.

Thanks Mleskovar for the advice about tire repair. I'll definitely be more carefull next time.
I'm not sure they clamped the center of the rim. The scratches are circles on the outside close to the tire. So maybe the rim moved while the machine was turning? Or the machine was set too low. Also, they pry manualy once at start. When they pry, they left a "dent" on the rim.

Last edited by bnzct; 11-10-2005 at 11:11 AM.