C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

curb vs Sports Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 03:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
curb vs Sports Coupe

OK... last night had a dilemma...

was going around a car, on the left, in traffic... Didn't see the curb, drove over it on accident. Curb was much higer sitting then the ground clearance of the car. THE noise was not a pleasant one, and i was left with the decision to either reverse off of just finish it off in forward... Either way i knew i was screwed...

Long story short... the peice that runs along the side (between the front and rear tire, under the door) IS that part of the car, or a bolt on/bolt off peice?

Will i need to take it to a body shop?

downfalls of dark windows on a lowered car... Oh yeah, and a movie playing on the command system, probably a good thing i wasn't talking on the blackberry too... otherwise probably would have totaled the car.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230 Sport BLK-on-BLK
why not say, "good thing i wasnt on the fone"
why say "good thing i wasnt on the blackberry"

btw its just a part of the frame, just take it on and off, its a kit.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:15 PM

thanks... that makes me feel better... was worried this was going to a trip to the body shop...
Old 11-23-2005, 03:16 PM

2006 C230 Sport BLK-on-BLK
make sure that the frames not f'd-up cuz its right there behind it
Old 11-23-2005, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300
Originally Posted by Justinius7
Oh yeah, and a movie playing on the command system,
I would have felt bad for you... until that statement. Now you're just a dumbass.

Anyway, you're lucky you didn't cause any other suspension/wheel damage. I've seen some people cause some serious probs by hitting a curb that hard (assuming you hit it pretty hard to get your car half way over it).

Yes.. it's part of the car. I'm not sure how easy it comes off, but I'm sure you'll end up at the body shop anyway to get a new one / have it painted. I'd just to bring it there to get a quote at least. It may not even be worth the trouble to mess with it yourself.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:23 PM

C 230K Coupé
A movie playing? Well all i have to say is that it serves you right. I already hate all the people driving while talking on cell phones, they barily even know what they're doing. But now watching movies?? That's just a step too far, I hope some kind of law gets passed to make it illegal...
Old 11-23-2005, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
oh man sorry to hear abt that, did u take any pics of the damages??
Old 11-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Justin, what were you thinking? Good thing you didn't jam your wheel towards the curb, cuz if you messed up those Super Streets too...man...

Okay, so now that I've given you a little bit of a hard time, the piece you're talking about should be clipped on side skirt. You can probably take it to a body shop, have them take it off and actually roll with out that piece on your car. This piece is actually replaced when people put on aftermarket kits and such.

Hope that helps and stop watching movies while driving, dawg!
Old 11-23-2005, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by r3v1ls
A movie playing? Well all i have to say is that it serves you right. I already hate all the people driving while talking on cell phones, they barily even know what they're doing. But now watching movies?? That's just a step too far, I hope some kind of law gets passed to make it illegal...
I know what you're saying, bro. What bothers me are people who talk on their phones and can't drive properly at the same time. If a person is driving normal and actually paying attention (while being on their phone), it doesn't bother me as much (especially in LA)...

but if there's somebody swirving all over the place, not staying in their lane, attempting a left turn from the right lane, while at the same time being on the phone...that's when I definitely have a problem.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:43 PM

2010 C300
Originally Posted by drexappeal
but if there's somebody swirving all over the place, not staying in their lane, attempting a left turn from the right lane, while at the same time being on the phone...that's when I definitely have a problem.
Or dodging traffic and driving over curbs...
Old 11-23-2005, 03:44 PM

OKAY... my passenger was actually watching the movie, and i just kinda looked down for a split second as we were sitting at the border in mexico comming back to the states (usually an hour long wait). Typically i dont look down, BUT it was a sex scene... Then went to go around the car in front of, and hit the curb i didn't notice was there.

I don't have any pics of the damage.

pretty much this is what it looks like... all the paint off the very bottom is OFF... the plastic is scraped to a melted looking ball peice that is still hanging there. Doesn't look if there was any damage underneath.

The CURB was at teh very end of a merge (where it comes to a tri-angle) so the front tire cleared the curb, its just almost immediatly after the wheel well. Front tire was turned almost to wheel lock.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

OKAY... my passenger was actually watching the movie, and i just kinda looked down for a split second as we were sitting at the border in mexico comming back to the states (usually an hour long wait). Typically i dont look down, BUT it was a sex scene... Then went to go around the car in front of, and hit the curb i didn't notice was there.

I don't have any pics of the damage.

pretty much this is what it looks like... all the paint off the very bottom is OFF... the plastic is scraped to a melted looking ball peice that is still hanging there. Doesn't look if there was any damage underneath.

The CURB was at teh very end of a merge (where it comes to a tri-angle) so the front tire cleared the curb, its just almost immediatly after the wheel well. Front tire was turned almost to wheel lock.
I see. That's a different story. Either way, I'm pretty positive the piece you're referring to can be removed. That way, you don't have to lose your car. The only time that will be needed with your car is in making sure the fitment is perfect (once the piece is fixed).
Old 11-23-2005, 03:59 PM

2002 CL203
OK... last night had a dilemma...

was going around a car, on the left, in traffic... Didn't see the curb, drove over it on accident. Curb was much higer sitting then the ground clearance of the car. THE noise was not a pleasant one, and i was left with the decision to either reverse off of just finish it off in forward... Either way i knew i was screwed...

Long story short... the peice that runs along the side (between the front and rear tire, under the door) IS that part of the car, or a bolt on/bolt off peice?

Will i need to take it to a body shop?

downfalls of dark windows on a lowered car... Oh yeah, and a movie playing on the command system, probably a good thing i wasn't talking on the blackberry too... otherwise probably would have totaled the car.

WEll, the painted piece under teh door is called the sideskirt, it comes off.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:57 PM

is it an easy removal? can i buy it pre-painted?
Old 11-23-2005, 07:00 PM

2002 CL203
is it an easy removal? can i buy it pre-painted?
It's relatively easy to remove. Not sure if you can buy it prepainted.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:05 PM

cool... thanks!
Old 11-23-2005, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
i doubt u can buy it prepainted, but since its fked up!! maybe its time for some NEW sideskirts =] jsut my suggestion
Old 11-24-2005, 07:01 AM

No, it wont come pre-painted.
Ive had mine painted before. It comes off very easy. If I remember correctly you have to remove the door sill, but it pops off easily. I had something fly up and chip the paint. Not badly, but it bothered me, so I got it repainted(doesnt even look like it) and installed clearguard on both rocker panels to avoid any further dilemas. So far so good.