C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Wiper Problem. Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 09:32 AM
X72

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord
Originally Posted by alpinweiss
The wipers have been the one problem I have on my 2005. The dealer has replaced the blades and done a service bulletin (bending as described in one of the above posts), but the chatter problem still occurs. I would be happy to pay for new blades, but I have not found anything that will fit from the aftermarket. My wipers look different than those on previous year models.

I was thinking either the rubber in the blades is too sticky, or the wiper arm spring has the wrong tension (too strong or too weak).
Alpinweiss, sorry to hear about your experience. I know that the chattering wipers were driving me crazy. I know that you are limited in your dealership choices in New Mexico. Otherwise, I would tell you to try a differenct dealership.

On my W211, I can disassemble the wiper assembly and get the wiper insert out (their is no mention of this in the owner's manual since they want to sell you the whole assembly). If you can remove the insert, then maybe you can substitute it with a silicone rubber based insert that would slide easier.

William
2003 E320

Last edited by X72; 12-01-2005 at 09:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally Posted by jsloan01
They said the wipers were not covered under Warranty.

Any further input on this? Don't they switch wiper inserts for Service B? I only have 12,500 miles clocked.

Thanks
Yes, new wiper inserts are on the B-Service check list. The chattering will start after a year or more on the car. I drive mine only 9,000 miles a year, so by the time of my B-services (every 20,000 miles) it's been two years and the inserts are in need of replacing, so the timing works well for me.

If it bothers you that much, youcould replace them now with some cheepies (noted above) and then let the dealer replace them at the B-Service (as they should).
Old 12-01-2005, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota Camry SE
I have the same problems with the wipers on my S500.....

1. The right wiper sometimes skips
2. After I park my car outside when its raining, the wiper usually stays on... even when its not raining

I replaced them last feb..
Old 12-02-2005, 01:00 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Own by dad: 03 MB E320, 01 MB C180, 99 MB C180, 95 MB C180
Have you guys ever try to turn one speed down? i notice that the wipers usually skip when it's not wet enough.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:31 AM

Metro Card : (
Originally Posted by Hades
Have you guys ever try to turn one speed down? i notice that the wipers usually skip when it's not wet enough.
Wipers do it when it was a torrential down pour - but weren't doing it today in the snow.

Update: Took it to the dealer today and said to put in new wiper inserts and check out an SRS light that was coming on and going off. When the SRS light pops on, my center console would shut down (heated seats, door lock, etc).

The diagnosis: faulty SAM module. Of course, they did not have the part in stock and said my car was unsafe to drive!

Not sure if that's the case, but this light first went off a year ago and then shut off and never thought anything of it until a few weeks ago when it came on again.

So I am now with a Toyota Camry and not my C Looking fwd to getting my car back next week!
Old 12-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally Posted by Hades
Good point, and it brings up a thought if you have the rain sensors. If you have any "haze" or smearing film over the sensor area on the windshield, the wiper will not run intermittently at the appropriate frequency, but rather it will swipe more often or even full time. If there's not enough water falling on the windshield, that will aggravate the skipping/chattering. You should make sure the sensor area on the windshield is completely clean.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
So I am now with a Toyota Camry and not my C Looking fwd to getting my car back next week!
Some additional advice. Nothing (I repeat, nothing) done at a Mercedes dealership on a warranty basis takes less than 2-3 days. (A/B services excluded as they are not warranty services). They NEVER have the part in stock... Always take your car in on a Monday, Tuesday at the latest. This will insure your car is finished by Friday and that you're not driving a Toyota over the weekend.

Actually, a Toyota would be a step-up from some of the loaners I've received. I've gotten a few Ford Focuses...
Old 12-15-2005, 12:33 PM

To update on this problem -

I paid $60 for new freaking inserts at the dealership - they said everything was fine and i should have no further problems. Well, it's raining today my wipers are shuttering THE EXACT SAME WAY AS BEFORE!

I am so pissed off with this car, Bobby Rahal and the lack of a solution. Of course, the closest MB dealership is 45 minutes away from the city of Pittsburgh and I do not have time to go out there every other week.

I just do not know what to do. They said they can't do anything unless they see the problem - and every f-ing time I am go there the wipers work fine. They said they will try "reangle them tomorrow" if I come out, but I think that sounds like a bogus solution. Just replace the assembly - that's what's wrong. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:37 PM

Can we post videos on this thing? Or would someone be kind enough to host? I video-taped the wipers shuttering across the windshield - it's tough to make out, but you can definitely here the noise and the very end you can see wipers sliding roughly across the windshield.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:58 PM

C 230K Coupé
The wiper shuddering sound is definitely very annoying. I think i used to have it on my car a while ago. I did have MB replace the wipers and the problem went away. Don't know if it has to do with cleaning the windshield properly or not.
I would suggest to try cleaning it with windex or some sort of window cleaner and make sure that the wipers are adjust correctly. Play around with the way they're on the windshield and maybe you'll find the problem.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:33 PM

R3V - thanks for the replying - it's not the way i am cleaning the windshield - it's fine. the car is spotless - i do everything

To update - i was so pissed i stopped studying for my finals and went to the dealer. Their solution was RainX - which i knew would not work. They told me I was good to go.

The second I pull out of the dealership the wipers are still shuttering! I got the shop foreman in the car and he agreed to put on new arms, wipers, everything. They are ordering the parts today and should hopefully have them tomorrow.

So after four trips to the dealer (five counting tomorrow), I will hopefully have a solution.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:52 PM

Wiper Problem Part 2

Although I have a thread on this issue, I felt my problem warranted a follow-up. The problem consists of the wipers shuddering after running for a few minutes (it's almost if there is an invisible hand pushing the wipers against the windshield). The problem seems to be worse in city driving versus highway. As the shuddering begins, it becomes worse the longer the wipers have been running.

I have had the wiper inserts replaced twice and both wiper arms replaced. Regardless of the new parts, the wiper shuddering persists. I have a service appointment this week to now change the wiper transmission.

I am a little skeptical and wanted to see if you guys think this may be the problem. It seems the dealer is now randomly replacing parts as my service advisor says "he does not know what to do". I am ready to get MBUSA involved as this problem is unacceptable. I have been to the dealer five times in the last two months for this issue. I can not afford to waste anymore time.

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

Last edited by jsloan01; 01-02-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
^

Not really. Therefore I merged them. It keeps the clutter down and makes searching for answers easier for everybody concerned.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 C230 SS Kompressor
I only have my car for six months and so far I have no problem with it. The wiper works great especially in the past two days with our wet weather here in San Diego. I wonder if the spring that holds the tension for the wiper arms to the windshield is worn out. Try looking for that and it might solve your problem. Worse case scenario is to change the whole wiper arms.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Brodie's Benz
I only have my car for six months and so far I have no problem with it. The wiper works great especially in the past two days with our wet weather here in San Diego. I wonder if the spring that holds the tension for the wiper arms to the windshield is worn out. Try looking for that and it might solve your problem. Worse case scenario is to change the whole wiper arms.
Thanks for the post, but they already have replaced both wiper arms.

Could it be a defect in the windshield?
Old 01-05-2006, 06:18 PM

Alright, here's an update (if anyone still cares )

Took my car to the dealer today for the SIXTH time. They replaced the wiper transmission/motor. As they told me everything was swell, we did a test drive and the wipers were STILL shuttering.

They said the only part left are some "linkages", but they don't have those parts in stock. They are also asking the SPOM about replacing the windshield.

I am likely going to call MBUSA tomorrow to document these problems. An upcoming seventh trip to the dealer is just unacceptable for ONE problem.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-05-2006, 06:34 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Silly question.....

but I rain-x'ed my windshield...but hadn't had it long enough to determine if that was the cause of the problem or just no difference, but my wipers shuttered.... the quick fix for me was to spritz the tinyest bit of windshield washer fluid on the windshield -- it stopped the shuttering for a good amount of time ... 20 min or more - basically my commute ;-). It seems if the windshield is too clean/dry I get this shuttering -- but the sloppy windshield washer fluid seems to wet it enough to make this stop.

- Eric
Old 01-05-2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by dalazernet
Silly question.....

but I rain-x'ed my windshield...but hadn't had it long enough to determine if that was the cause of the problem or just no difference, but my wipers shuttered.... the quick fix for me was to spritz the tinyest bit of windshield washer fluid on the windshield -- it stopped the shuttering for a good amount of time ... 20 min or more - basically my commute ;-). It seems if the windshield is too clean/dry I get this shuttering -- but the sloppy windshield washer fluid seems to wet it enough to make this stop.

- Eric
Thanks, but that's not it. The windshield is Rain-X'ed to hell and back. Squirting the windshield w/ washerfluid mutes the problem for all of about two or three swipes!

Considering the daily rain or snow in Pitt, I am going through washerfluid like a ****.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:01 PM

2005 C230SS 6spd Blk/Blk, 2006 C350 SS 6spd Blk/Blk
I think Rain-x is the problem.

I used to use rain-x on my civic and the blades always shuttered.

I stopped using it with my new cars and never had that problem.

I also think it may be the car wash soap you use. I dont wash my own car much anymore since i take it to the car wash.

More than likely its a coating on your windshield. Make MB change the windshield and never use rain-x again.

Just my thoughts.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by neilsam
I think Rain-x is the problem.

I used to use rain-x on my civic and the blades always shuttered.

I stopped using it with my new cars and never had that problem.

I also think it may be the car wash soap you use. I dont wash my own car much anymore since i take it to the car wash.

More than likely its a coating on your windshield. Make MB change the windshield and never use rain-x again.

Just my thoughts.
Thanks for posting, but I doubt that's the case either. I started using Rain-X after trip number three or four (which was around the time I orginally started this thread and got the Rain-X suggestion).

Nothing works. Hopefully MB will replace the windshield.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I have often had the "skippies" on the windshield in the past. I found that the car wash products contained the same thing as Pamela Andersons bra, silicones. Even Rain-x has silicones in it. I use Meguiars # 39 vinyl and rubber cleaner on the glass and the wiper blades.

Where I live if I want to see snow, I open the freezer, but for people who do have severe weather in the winter Trico makes a blade with teflon resin in the rubber. Teflon is a great friction modifier, and will allow the blades to slide easier over the glass.

I hope you have a resolution soon. Must be making you crazy.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:35 AM

2013 c300 4matic, 2002 c240
Thanks for posting, but I doubt that's the case either. I started using Rain-X after trip number three or four (which was around the time I orginally started this thread and got the Rain-X suggestion).

Nothing works. Hopefully MB will replace the windshield.
i had the same problem. the driver side blade kept skipping and i then decided to use rain-x. it worked for a bit, but the skippies came back and on BOTH driver and passenger side. so i blamed rain-x. i did not know how to remove rain-x and it just happened that i got into a car accident that required me to change the front windshield.

now, if i did remove the rain-x on the old windshield, would have the problem still occurred? i have no idea. the new windshield solved my problem because i'm now skippy free. maybe this is your solution as well, only one way to find out.

Last edited by pookie; 01-07-2006 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:01 PM

Well, the windshield is going on today. I should pick up the car in a few hours. Is there any advice on what to look over when I pick up the car?

Do they put the "Daimler signature" sticker on the new windshield (like it comes from the factory)? Are there ever issues w/ hooking back up the rain sensor?

Gosh, I just hope this solves the problem!!!
Old 04-22-2006, 11:38 AM

Well, my wiper are at it again.

After four months with a new windshield and no problems, they started shuttering this morning (it's raining today, of course).

I do not know what to do. I sold this car and am delivering it to the buyer in mid-May. I have a service appt this Tuesday to get my smelly A/C fresh again and a few other minor issues.

What can I do? I tried to "strip" the windshield of any containments using dishwashing soap and rubbing alcohol, but nothing works!

What can I do? Can I get MBUSA to buy the car back since this about the 8th trip to the dealer???

Please help!
Old 04-30-2006, 10:37 PM

cl203 Sports Coupe
.....great....that would be awesome if they buy back the car, cuz i'll let them buy my car back heh

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wiper Problem. Help!