C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

I caught the guy who Hit my car>>> Plates What Now?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Cls 63 amg, 2006 Bmw M6
I caught the guy who Hit my car>>> Plates What Now?

So A guy hit my car and fled the scene while I was at work. Someone was nice enough to write a note on my car and said they saw the whole thing and wrote down their liscence plate and a number to contact them. I called the person and we went to the police to make a report.

My question to you guys is the following.......what happens now after I pick up the report? I spoke to my insurance and I forgot that I have a $1000 deductable. If the guy has insurance then does my insurance company go after his or do I have to do it through my insurance and his insurance will pay mine. I am concerned because I have the ******* by the *****......and I don't want to pay anything out of my pocket especially no 1K deductable.

Right now I have to wait for an assesment from my insurance of the damage and then they will advise me I guess Should I attempt to settle out with the guy after I find out his info from the report?
How does this all work? I should not have to pay anything damn it. I got that *******. BTW damage is a a huge deep/ 12 inch scratch/dent with the paint taken off on one side. Bumper is not level and there is a tiny crack on my rear right light.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
my suggestion is don't even bother with the hassle of settling with him and let your insurance company take care of it.

someone hit me from behind this year (I wasn't driving my MB thankfully) and they completely admitted fault. They had a really ****ty/shady insurance company (Survival) and my insurance company AAA made them pay for my deductible and the car was repaired at no cost to me. At first I tried to settle, but the woman's husband was being a ****, so I decided to just report it to my insurance and they took care of the rest.

let the insurance company handle it and safe yourself the headaches.

at this point, by this guy hitting and running, he's almost already completely admitting fault. did the guy get a glance at the car that hit yours? was it a ****ty clunker? maybe the owner doesn't have insurance and you may have a problem, but nonetheless, the other guy is 100% at fault and you should be good.

good luck.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by nlpamg
my suggestion is don't even bother with the hassle of settling with him and let your insurance company take care of it.

someone hit me from behind this year (I wasn't driving my MB thankfully) and they completely admitted fault. They had a really ****ty/shady insurance company (Survival) and my insurance company AAA made them pay for my deductible and the car was repaired at no cost to me. At first I tried to settle, but the woman's husband was being a ****, so I decided to just report it to my insurance and they took care of the rest.

let the insurance company handle it and safe yourself the headaches.

at this point, by this guy hitting and running, he's almost already completely admitting fault. did the guy get a glance at the car that hit yours? was it a ****ty clunker? maybe the owner doesn't have insurance and you may have a problem, but nonetheless, the other guy is 100% at fault and you should be good.

good luck.
Thanks for the advice dude! The guy said it was a late model car, but the problem is that I just found out the address is in a really poor town in NJ with high crime rate and it's usually where cars are reported found/stolen. :o
However, so far it looks like the car is legit with owner and insurance/no stolen reports according to police. I think I will save myself the trouble. and make them pay for my deductable as well.

BTW your insurance told you they would go after damages plus deductable or did they just do it?
Old 11-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
np man.

my insurance just went ahead and did it and said that I wouldn't have to pay for my deductible at all. I'm not too clear as to what the other details were.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by nlpamg
np man.

my insurance just went ahead and did it and said that I wouldn't have to pay for my deductible at all. I'm not too clear as to what the other details were.
You are the man sir! Made me feel much better. Lets hope he really does have insurance and let them take care of the rest!
Old 11-29-2005, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
First off, here in NY he would be charged with leaving the scene of an accident (Any incident with more than $1000 of vehicular damage or damage to any property or injuries requires the police to be called and a report filed). Also because he is 100% at fault, you do not need to even contact your insurance company. Once you get all of his insurance info, call his company and put in for a claim and state that it was a hit and run.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by caliboy
So A guy hit my car and fled the scene while I was at work. Someone was nice enough to write a note on my car and said they saw the whole thing and wrote down their liscence plate and a number to contact them. I called the person and we went to the police to make a report.

My question to you guys is the following.......what happens now after I pick up the report? I spoke to my insurance and I forgot that I have a $1000 deductable. If the guy has insurance then does my insurance company go after his or do I have to do it through my insurance and his insurance will pay mine. I am concerned because I have the ******* by the *****......and I don't want to pay anything out of my pocket especially no 1K deductable.

Right now I have to wait for an assesment from my insurance of the damage and then they will advise me I guess Should I attempt to settle out with the guy after I find out his info from the report?
How does this all work? I should not have to pay anything damn it. I got that *******. BTW damage is a a huge deep/ 12 inch scratch/dent with the paint taken off on one side. Bumper is not level and there is a tiny crack on my rear right light.

how this works is that if the cost to fix ur car is $1001+ then ur ins comp would chase the guys ins comp for the money, but if its $1000 or less, u pay for the whole thing, (thats if u claim thru urself) but if u claim thru them, they'll mostly give u up to 75%-80% unless ur witness is strong, but i doubt they'll pay u back 100% good luck man
Old 11-29-2005, 09:41 PM

'01 ML430, '03 C320 Coupe MT, '14 GL450
If it's not your fault, your insurance has nothing to do with it, and you should not pay any money at all. We've been involved in two accidents that were not our fault, and for both we claimed from the other parties' insurance. In both cases they paid 100% of the damage, even after the bodyshop increased the amount. We got full paid rentals for the whole periods. Our insurance isn't even aware of it, except that I called our insurance agent who advised us to file a claim with the other party's insurance.

In neither case was a police report even filed - one happened in a company parking lot, and the other, the police said that the damage wasn't enough to file a report. In both cases the other party's insurance accepted fault - they look at the damage to determine who's at fault.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats

Are you kidding ? You got this guy by the *****. Leave the ins. out and make him cut you a check. If he says no then he is screwed with the law hit n run and his ins. + you have a deductible and your rates can go up. go after him hard and see if you can weeze the juice
Old 11-30-2005, 09:28 AM
Jkw

2004.5 C 230
Are you kidding ? You got this guy by the *****. Leave the ins. out and make him cut you a check
Get Cash!

Sorry about your car,
Old 11-30-2005, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
but the problem is that I just found out the address is in a really poor town in NJ with high crime rate and it's usually where cars are reported found/stolen. :o
That must be Newark or Camden , you're lucky if the guy has insurance.Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:38 AM

Get a rope.............
Old 11-30-2005, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PHXATC
Get a rope.............
Not right.............funny............but not right.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:52 AM

Just being funny...no harm intended.

Wild, wild west out here, so maybe up there in Mafioso-land, I should said, "get a hit."
Old 11-30-2005, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by C43AMG
That must be Newark or Camden , you're lucky if the guy has insurance.Good luck and keep us posted.
I have been to Clifton, NJ pretty scary
Old 11-30-2005, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by benzondubz
I have been to Clifton, NJ pretty scary
It's got nothing on Camden , named again, as " #1 City for Crime in America".
Old 11-30-2005, 02:17 PM

As nlpamg said, let the insurance companies handle it, save yourself the hassle of running after the other party. When I got rear ended about 10 yrs ago, I didnt have to pay anything. As long as the other party is at fault, their insurance should pay the deductible and the damages. It wont even affect your insurance premium as long as the other parties insurance covers everything.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:20 PM

2010 C300
I agree with kokketiel. If you have his insurance information claim it through his insurance. That way you get them to pay for everything and your insurance deals with nothing. Ive heard (not confirmed) that some insurance companies will drop you or raise the rates after a certain number of claims, even if none are your fault.

My first accident was a couple of years ago and i claimed through that guys insurance and got everything taken care of. Unfortunatly, when i got hit over the summer, i had no choice and i claimed it through my insurance first. They took care of everything, but i had to not only deal with my insurance, but when i got the other guys information, i had to deal with his insurance to get my deductible and rental car charges back. Just a huge hassle IMO.

My first option would be to claim HIS insurance...
Old 11-30-2005, 05:08 PM

2002 C230K Coupe & 2005 C230 SS
Deal entirely with the other person's insurance, providing he has it. If he has you do not even need to get your company involved and therefore deductable is not an issue. You have filed a police report, you have a witness (the other company will probably want to contact him), just file a claim with his insurance company.

The problem in dealing with cash is that you will always be between the other person and the repair shop, what if he backs out, what happens if he agrees up front to a payment and in the course of the repair it turns out to be more, then you have to try and get more money out of him.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
"Insurance coverage" includes handling all the details to get you and your car back to where you were before the accident. That's what you pay for and that's their (Your insurance company's) responsibility to make it happen.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
When I got hit last year out at the exit of a parking garage, I took down the info of the other party. Since he rear ended me, it was 100% his fault. I filed through my insurance (Progressive) company, and they said that since this is not my fault, it would not affect my rate. They sent out a claims adjuster the same day and took pictures of the damage. Then, they immediately cut me a check on the spot (no deductible at all), and said that they would go after the other party's insurance to get the deductible and I have nothing to worry about. This is what I call customer service. Very satisfied with them.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:58 PM

2006 E90 325i
its things like this that make me glad i grew up in New Jersey and moved to California. Growing up in a place like i did built character, but then again i didnt grow up in a ghetto, but was nothing like the area i live in now. Went from mid-low class blue collar mostly italian neighborhood in union county, name of the town was Fanwood if anyone from jersey is familiar with it, to a super rich stuck up primarily white town. I think it contributed to my well rounded character.

Originally Posted by C43AMG
It's got nothing on Camden , named again, as " #1 City for Crime in America".
Old 12-01-2005, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kev04C320
When I got hit last year out at the exit of a parking garage, I took down the info of the other party. Since he rear ended me, it was 100% his fault. I filed through my insurance (Progressive) company, and they said that since this is not my fault, it would not affect my rate. They sent out a claims adjuster the same day and took pictures of the damage. Then, they immediately cut me a check on the spot (no deductible at all), and said that they would go after the other party's insurance to get the deductible and I have nothing to worry about. This is what I call customer service. Very satisfied with them.
Now that's what I call an insurance company

As for my situation..... I am going to pick up the report tomorrow and file a claim through his insurance as advised by my insurance. They said I will have no problem with the case that I have built up on him. If any problems I could always just do it through my insurance and they would go after him for the money.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by PrsnBenz
its things like this that make me glad i grew up in New Jersey and moved to California. Growing up in a place like i did built character, but then again i didnt grow up in a ghetto, but was nothing like the area i live in now. Went from mid-low class blue collar mostly italian neighborhood in union county, name of the town was Fanwood if anyone from jersey is familiar with it, to a super rich stuck up primarily white town. I think it contributed to my well rounded character.
Lol! I'm the opposit of you I'm in school here in good ol jersey where I got hit lol! Union City lol! You mean CUBAN city! lol! Have some friends in that area.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:30 PM

2010 C300
Originally Posted by Kev04C320
I've got Progressive as well - best insurance company I've ever dealt with. Never any issue with them, and when I have to call customer service, they actually have a clue what's going on! Not to mention they're about 2/3 the price of all the other companies that quoted my insurance last time around.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I caught the guy who Hit my car>>> Plates What Now?