C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Interests in a group buy of the m111 Renntech ECU mod?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230k
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
OK, humor us with a reasonable cost muffler that fits our car as a bolt on will have a nice sound like Remus. Do it as a group buy for the forum to offset R&D costs. I would buy it. I would love a Remus muffler but I can't get myself to spend $600 on just a muffler. Here's a starting point...
FWIW the quality of that part doesn't impress me a whole bunch, not what I can tell from the pic anyway. I absolutely detest that style clamp for one thing, it makes removing the part later a complete PITA.

The good news is, if we have a cross section that would fit (a huge "if"), the part would look a lot better than that. The bad news is, I'm guessing the price would be about the same. Hand built prototypes aren't cheap

All that being said, anyone have a stock system around they want to get rid of???

Last edited by Spyke; 08-09-2002 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-09-2002, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230k
Originally posted by Buellwinkle

It's because of people like you that buy from these high priced tuners. Just say NO Timmy, you can do it, don't keep supporting these tuners just for quick fix, just say NO and help us build a better America, one where every MB owner is free to buy all the performance parts he wants for the same price as Camaro and Mustang owners. An America where you are not judged by the star on your gril. The America we love. God bless America.

BlackC230Coupe, sorry but it's the only way we can get this country back on track. By allowing free flow of information and making a better product for cheaper in Mexico. Besides, while we are all trying to get a less expensive muffler your are riding in style.
This is so wrong! The money needed to run a smaller niche business is huge. This cost must be passed on to the customer in order to stay in business, the more customers the less each will have to pay to cover operating costs. Remember, there are people that answer the phone, ship and receive, etc.. The rent and utilities also cost money. Twenty years ago when I was at UCLA I learned that, didn't you ever take any econ? If I wanted to buy a piece of junk like an aftermarket Mustang muffler for cheap, I could, but if I wanted a properly designed and tested one it will cost much more. Face it, you are saying that a silk purse should cost the same as a sows ear!

Yes, God Bless America, home of Capitolism. These tuner employ many Americans, not Mexicans or French, this keeps them off welfare and makes them productive members of society. Sure, make it elsewhere, take the food out of someone American kids mouth. This is why I understand the right to make a profit to keep a smaller business going, I look beyond just me and realize the way the system is meant to work.

Finally, the cost of the stock MB parts is high compared to US or Japanese cars, why wouldn't the aftermarket be high too? MB parts are built better in most cases and as such they cost more
Old 08-09-2002, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, it was meant to be funny but I don't necessarily agree with you. I would love to give many labor intensive jobs to Mexico if it would cut down on the senseless deaths each and every day as Mexicans risks their lives across the desert with little or no water just so they can take that job which is meaningless to you anyway like picking strawberries. An no, I know MB factory parts are more expensive than Toyota. I had an MR2 and I was shocked at what parts cost. I wanted to replace the snap on sun shade that covered my glass flip roof and they wanted $500. If you go to a company that specializes in a certain type of mod, for example, I went to ASP because they make many pulleys for many cars, that's what they know how to make. So taking a factory pulley and doing the CNC programming to make it happen is something they do every day, it should not cost more for an MB part over a Mustang part other than the MB part in this case is way more complex and that's the only reason and certainly you would not be overcharged because of the star on your grill. Same with a muffler manufacturer. Take OBX, a popular choice amoung the ricer set, they make a generic Mercedes muffler that looks pretty nive in stainless, what would it take for them to make that specific to the coupe, a couple of properly spaced hangers and a bent pipe. I bet they can do it for under $200 and it would be every bit as good as some specialized companies make for $600.

And for those tuners that employ many employees, can't they be employed to make less expensive products so that more people can take advantage of them?
Old 09-20-2006, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by KJ-TypeR
But that's just it...Buellwinkle does deserve a lot of credit for what he did.

If you've been in the market long enough, you know that most pulley kits go for around $100-$200 US for a complete kit. These kits are perfectly balanced and are top quality.

For someone to come in and ask for $1000+ for an alloy pulley is RIDICULOUS! They're just trying to rip you off because you drive a Mercedes. To be honest, most of the board members don't have any technical knowledge about cars and the way they work. They are tricked into believing all the marketing crap that is thrown at them by big name manufacturers. NOT EVERYONE is fooled by this, and there are some people on this board that know a lot of technical information.

I just hate to see people getting ripped off. I know it's not my money, and I really shouldn't give a *****. But I look at it this way...if manufacturers are allowed to rip people off when pricing their products, who's going to stop them? It'll just get worse and worse.

They try to justify the ridiculous cost of the pulley by saying "Look at how much HP you get from this mod, it's worth it". What a silly way to look at things. If the car was turbocharged, a MANUAL boost controller would cost $50US and make WAY more power than this stupid pulley. But you don't see people charging $1000 for Manual Boost Controllers that are made of parts that cost only $20 from Home Depot! If they did that, their market would be up in arms!!!

Of course, when it comes to Mercedes owners, they see fit to rape people up the *** when pricing their products.

I see this same garbage with BMW parts as well. The "Exhausts" for the E46 BMW M3 cost $1200 - $2000. The only problem is that this "Exhaust" is only a friggin' MUFFLER! How they can justify that cost is beyond me! The problem I have is that I'm probably going to have to pay that price because an exhaust is not as easy to copy as a pulley. Sure, I could get a "Custom Exhaust" made, but it'd probably sound and look like gargage.

Anyway, enough venting for me.
bro i agree 100% i just picked up a E55 and was lookin at pullys and ecu upgrades and holy shiit that stuff is so over priced. 2-3 thousand is just silly. i also have a hummer that i super charged and a pully only cost 99 bucks and ecu is 499 and the ecu is custom made for you not just a copy like the rest. everthing is marked up cuzz of the star on the grill not the R&D.