C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

wrong size lugs???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 176 Likes on 146 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
wrong size lugs???

okay, another dumb question from eddieo; please be nice.
I bought some wheels and snow tires for the 203 coupe. I went with these 16's that came off someone's SLK:

The seller gave me a bunch of lugs with them and stated that on his car, he needed to use different size lugs on the back (I hardly paid attention, figuring my mechanic will sort it out). My OEM 17" wheels, Evolution, I believe, are these:

...and the lugs for these OEM wheels are not only wicked long, but have a good half inch with no threads, as the alloy is really thick.
When we put the wheels on the car (my mechanic was on vacation, so one of his helpers put them on for me), we used the original, long lugs, and the rear wheels locked up completely (wouldn't turn with car in gear). We tried the new, short lugs, but still had a scary scraping noise. Turns out we had knocked a spring off the brake (parking brake mechanism, maybe?). After we pulled the caliper and rotor, fixed the spring, and then tried the new short lug again, we still had a nasty noise, so for now, I've got one pair of each tire and wheel on the car (unfortunately, the snows are on the front, where the wicked long lugs didn't seem to make a difference). I'm hoping all I need to correct this debacle is the right size lugs, but how do I know what length, and where's a good place to get 'em? Thanks.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300
It is possible to damage your parking brake by using too long of bolts - but that doesn't mean that you DID do the damage. If it's running fine on your old wheels, I'd say you're probably damage free.

You probably need an even shorter lug. Not sure where to look up the info, but you could probably but the stock lug, through the stock wheel and measure how far it extends past the rim. Then, get a bolt that would extend the same distance past the rim of the new wheel.

Other than that, maybe talk to the dealership or a wheel shop - they might know.