C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Australian version of c180 - Questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 - c180 Kompressor
Australian version of c180 - Questions...

Hopefully the differences between US/Europe versions don't differ too greatly to what we get down under...

Last week I put in an order for a c180, my first Merc.
Black, Elegance package with sunroof and 17" AMG rims with sports suspension...

I now have a 3 month wait...

A couple of questions I'm hoping people can help me with are:
1. Tinted windows: I'm aware of certain types of tinting (with metal) affecting AM radio reception via the aerial in the back window, but the thing that concerns me, and advised by both the dealer, and a separate tinting company, is that the tinting will most likely get scratched on the windows, from winding them up and down. Can anyone advise how bad this problem actually is, and whether I should not get tinting? I only intend to lease for 3 years...

2. I have ordered the model with the new 1.8 Kompressor motor with 105kw, so does this mean it is in fact the MY03 version that I will receive? Also, with this motor, it appears there are variants of it being offered here in Australia, all being 1.8L, and supercharged, but offering different performance. Given I'm ordering the bottom of the rung model, is it therefore possible to "tune" the engine to the specs of other models being delivered?

3. If I am receiving the MY03 model, will this have the clear headlights (I haven't ordered Xenon), and does anyone know of any other changes bein delivered?

4. Not that it matters one bit, but where are the c-class cars built? I hear from the Dealer that it is South Africa, but in these forums and elsewhere on the net, that the right-hand drive models are built in Germany or the UK. Can anyone confirm?

I have read through every message on this forum re: W203, and have found reference to tinting and the MY03, but conflicting opinions are proffered.

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2002, 03:35 AM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Hi

Diesels are built in South Africa, no Mercedes are built in UK. Some are built in Germany, Estate is but not sure about other petrol models. My diesel is ready for pickup from Germany at the end of August but it is being shipped from South Africa.
As far as the changes happening now I cannot get a clear answer from the dealer, will have to wait until arrives. Mercedes are crap at communication on developments, I seem to know more than the dealer does.
The prices are being reduced so the new elegance package does not include rain sensing wipers and no power fold mirrors, but it does include auto and metallic paint at no extra cost. I will now be paying £1200 less for my car, with all the extras I asked for so good news for me with the new pricing structure. The basic model does not have auto air conditioning as standard anymore. Cannot get hold of a comprehensive price list though.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Apollo; 07-25-2002 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-25-2002, 03:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
I was told by my dealer that there are 3 "cgi"engine variants, all with the 1.8 kompressor but with different engine management software.

They are not all badged C180 so some people will be expecting 2litre cars and getting 1.8 ....

I imagine it will be a few weeks before the tuners work out how to upload the ignition map from the bigger ECU and then download it into the "smaller" engine ECU ... but Im sure that will be a common (and cheap) upgrade !

Richard
Old 07-25-2002, 05:39 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
What I've heard all RHD C-classes, except the C32 are built in South Africa.
Old 07-25-2002, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
You should be able to tell by the chassis nr

WDB203yyy2Znnnnnn

yyy is the model type, I dont know what number is what model

Z is the letter that shows the factory - F is bremen for instance
nnnnnn is the unique part of the serial number
- I think the 2 before the Z is sometimes different aswell. (ie 1)

Anyone willing to post their model and chassis numbers (dont post the nnnnnn bit, then your car cant be identified)

US chassis numbers are a completely different format for the first 9 characters
Old 07-25-2002, 06:58 AM

Originally posted by Richard
I was told by my dealer that there are 3 "cgi"engine variants, all with the 1.8 kompressor but with different engine management software.
Correct me if I´m wrong but the new engines are still not CGI engines. The CGI will come in the end of 2002.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:08 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Originally posted by Freddy

Correct me if I´m wrong but the new engines are still not CGI engines. The CGI will come in the end of 2002.
I think you're correct here Freddy. The first one out will be the C200 CGI (with 170 hp)
Old 07-25-2002, 06:41 PM

01 C200 Kompressor, 02 C32 AMG
Originally posted by DtS
What I've heard all RHD C-classes, except the C32 are built in South Africa.
I thought all RHD C classes are made in South Africa even the C32. I've got both C200K sedan and C32 and the quality of South African built C32 is better than the C200K......well....they should for twice the price of the C200K
Old 07-26-2002, 09:49 AM
JeT

Willow,

I have the C200K Evolution AMG package (its actually called a CL200K in my log books but I don't know where the "L" came from). The window seals are very tight so if you get tinting, it will scratch..I have very light tinting and you can see the vertical lines, although I can usually clean them to an extent that the lines are hardly visible. The Dealership told me that tinting would get scratched.

I hope your 3 month wait goes quickly! I was lucky, I got mine pretty quickly. Now there is a 12 month wait on my model.

Have fun!
Old 07-26-2002, 09:56 AM
JeT

bajaiman,

Where did you get your mods done in Sydney and how much did they cost? Its a bit hard to compare with the guys on this forum. Out of curiosity, I asked one place about the illuminated window sills and they said they weren't available in Oz. I'm yet to find a really decent parts and accessories place and a performance tuning place especially for Mercs. Care to share your knowledge?
Old 07-27-2002, 01:46 AM

2001 Tanzanite C200K Sportscoupe Evo
I know Malaysia assembles the W203, W210 and these are normally made in South Africa. The ones Malaysia assembles are build ups from Germany, so it's stated "Made In Germany". The other model assembled in Malaysia is the W220. For the W203, it's available in Classic and Elegance, and the W210 Elegance. Avantgarde packages are all imported and all CDi cars are only available in the Avantgarde package. W203 is available as C200,
C200K, C220CDi and C270CDi; the W210 available as E200K, E240, E280, and E270CDi (saloon and estates) while the W220 is available as the S280, S320L and S320CDi. Local assembly of the W211 is starting early '03.
Old 07-27-2002, 04:23 AM

JeT

I've got Kleemann pulley imported from USA, its a lot cheaper this way cos you can't find it in Sydney, and if you do find pulley kits in Sydney most likely they'll cost a lot more cos they're made by Carlsson or some other big brands.
The pulley kit is well worth the money AU$1600 (includes installation).... I recommend this type of mods cos its the most bang for your bucks...you can really feel the power gain....with G-Tech I've got low-mid 8 secs 0-100 ... before the pulley i've got mid-high 9 secs.

The Remus exhaust and BMC filter I've got them from www.carshine.com.au and cost me about AU$1200 for both.
The exhaust is really quiet...you can only notice a slight deeper exhaust note....too quite for my taste.
Don't try HiTech exhaust if you don't want your car sound loud. I've tried it and decided to put back the original cos its just too loud....eventho the power gain is more noticeable compared to Remus exhaust...... With HiTech exhaust you'll get 5kw at the wheels (dyno results).

If you want illuminated door sills then you'll sometimes find them from ebay.

Hope that helps
Old 07-27-2002, 10:15 AM
JeT

bajaiman,

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I may do the mods after my warranty runs out. If you imported, who did you get to install it?

I was looking at an Australian manufacturer of performance chips called "Powerchip". Not sure of the quality but they are pretty damn sure of their product with their money back guarantee. They claim an increase to about 135 kw (I guess without the pulley mods). If you don't get these gains, take the dyno stats to them and they will refund. You probably have better gains from your mods. Obviously, Kleemann are pretty reknowned for their stuff.

Where did you get the imports from in the US. I Would like to look more into it.

Thanks again,
JeT
Old 07-27-2002, 11:38 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Willow, ask your local tinter if he can get some "Mole skin" window seal material. Apparently it's a standard item that can be cut to fit your window application, replacing the MB seals which are rumoured to cause the scratching.

I have 3M Panther Black (90% metallic) tinting on all windows except my windshield. I have no radio reception problems. I think it matters to not skimp and have a first rate shop do the installation.

Otherwise, I have one or two small scratches after a 16 months in service (I don't have moleskin seals), and they are only visible in certain light (ie, they're very light scratches). If you're leasing for only 3-years, such light scratching might be tolerable to you. They are to me.
Old 07-28-2002, 05:09 AM

JeT

I went to mechanic in Alexandria to get my pulley installed. It took them about less than 3 hours to do it.

I spoke to Ryan (Powerchip), the 15kw increase they claimed is not proven by dyno test. They said the power gained is based on everyday driveability so there's no hard proven facts. Dyno results measured the power at the rear wheels not at the fly, so the number could be down about 30%.

Email me ( bajaiman@yahoo.com ) if you want to discuss about mods, I'll be more than happy to help if I can
Old 07-28-2002, 08:50 AM
JeT

Thanks bajaiman, may take you up on the offer in the near future.
I will be looking for a good workshop if and when I do get a pulley.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
Hi guys i'm a newbie here, so please welcome me hhehe
i just wondering will it void my warranty if i change my muffler to ....say a "Remus"?? THX
Old 07-31-2002, 04:37 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Originally posted by W0n6_3d4n
Hi guys i'm a newbie here, so please welcome me hhehe
i just wondering will it void my warranty if i change my muffler to ....say a "Remus"?? THX
Welcome on board W0n6_3d4n (puhhh, not the simplest name to remember )

Well, about voiding your warranty. I would say no. The dealer must proove that you retrofitted muffler caused the warranty-issue. If f.e. your cat breaks, they will surely blaim it on your new muffler. If a window-switch breaks, they cannot blaim the muffler. At least this is how the warranties works in Sweden.

By the way: Saw your car in the pic-thread. Nice!