C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

"S" class rear LED taillights, I had some..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2005 | 07:49 AM

02 C32R
"S" class rear LED taillights, I had some..

well about a month ago I purchased the LED taillights. I installed them and right off the bat 2 LEDS were burnt out . SO I waited a few weeks to get some replacements (the company was out of stock). When I finally did receive them, one corner of the red plastic had broken off (I think during transport based on some ripped packaging). Anyways just a few nights ago I noticed 3 MORE bulbs had burnt out, so I now have a total of 5. Well I went home and put the stockers back on. Has anyone else had this problem with the LEDS burning out??

Last edited by Dead Ringer; 12-13-2005 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-13-2005 | 11:03 AM

04 C230K-ss
i was worried this would happen if I were to have bought the led version. Im going to get the regular bulb lit type instead. I mean some of the taillights even come with 2 missing LED's. Sorry to hear man, hoep it works out and you can get another set.
Old 12-13-2005 | 12:17 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Well, there was an entire row that I thought burned out, but I think the wiring is just loose. I played with the wiring a little and it must have reconnected the circuit. It comes and goes every now and then.

The company I bought from on ebay wanted me to send them back, so they could replace them, but as soon as I got in touch with them, the led's came back on. Plus they didn't give me an address to send them back to and the company I purchased from is also really difficult to get in touch with, so I figured that if it continues to happen, I might switch to the S-Class non-LED lights.
Old 12-13-2005 | 12:18 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by TheBossman
I mean some of the taillights even come with 2 missing LED's...
The 2 missing LED's that everyone has talked about are where the mounts are for the LED circuitboard. www.factoronegarage.com are the manufacturers for these lights and they said that this was the only place they could put a mounting screw to hold the circuitboard in.
Old 12-13-2005 | 12:49 PM

I got a set of those LED tail light directly from Factor One Garage too....they are not the manufactuter and just an importer from what they told me, but the first set of LED tail light i got, the corner crank too...due to shipping cause the box was a bit messed up. But those guys are cool.....they shipped me a brand new set....ASAP with no extra cost like some of those Ebay guys they need u to send it back to them first. Plus they lifetime warranty all the LED products....
Old 12-13-2005 | 01:42 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by w203
I got a set of those LED tail light directly from Factor One Garage too....they are not the manufactuter and just an importer from what they told me, but the first set of LED tail light i got, the corner crank too...due to shipping cause the box was a bit messed up. But those guys are cool.....they shipped me a brand new set....ASAP with no extra cost like some of those Ebay guys they need u to send it back to them first. Plus they lifetime warranty all the LED products....
It's funny, cuz they told me at the Irvine meet that they were in fact the manufacturers for the lights. That's why they told me about the missing LED's (3rd row down, 2nd space from inside portion of the light). Interesting that they told you otherwise.

Their warranty is very good and good guys definitely, but I'm wondering now, whether they are just a distributor or somewhere in between.
Old 12-13-2005 | 05:06 PM

02 C32R
they are not made in the states, they are made in Tawain. You can see on the light itself since that it is made there (the stickers give that away). Anyways, the two bulbs that burnt out were on the bottom rowfar right corner. then the two top ones, then one top one on the other light. I tried moving the wires around thinking it was a bad connection, but didnt do anything.

Funny that someone else also received a broken corner piece.
Old 12-13-2005 | 06:28 PM

'06 C230WZ
i bought mine from factoronegarage.com also. i think they offer warranty on these, one year or even lifetime.
Old 12-13-2005 | 11:07 PM
EKY

2006 Acura RL - Aspec rims/spoiler, JDM grille
I checked my LED's today and a bunch are burnt out as well. I bought mine from ebay...and don't think there's a warranty. The bottom row on the drivers side is out. I forget which ones are out on the drivers side. Anyone have any luck fixing them? I'm quite dissapointed. I guess I have to go and buy non-LED ones.
Old 12-14-2005 | 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
That's pretty bright, considering how black you tint your taillight.
Old 12-14-2005 | 07:37 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by EKY
I checked my LED's today and a bunch are burnt out as well. I bought mine from ebay...and don't think there's a warranty. The bottom row on the drivers side is out. I forget which ones are out on the drivers side. Anyone have any luck fixing them? I'm quite dissapointed. I guess I have to go and buy non-LED ones.
EKY,

Try checking all the wires to make sure they are getting a good connection. When I played around with the wiring, the one row that was missing came back (and I've only see it go out once for the past 3 months, but promptly came back).

Eventually, I am going to take these out and look at the wiring scheme, as well as try to see if I can gain functionality of the inside running lights (aside from the rear fog).

I'll let you all know when I do it.

drex
Old 12-14-2005 | 10:09 PM
EKY

I'll check the wires tonight or tomorrow. I'm waiting for Jose (flip) to send me his stock 2004 lights so I can take out the LED's and play around with it as well. Those stock 2004's will suffice in the mean time. If all else fails, I'm going to purchase the regular bulb ones. None-the-less, keep me updated as to what you do..via forum or P.M. Thanks.

Originally Posted by drexappeal
EKY,

Try checking all the wires to make sure they are getting a good connection. When I played around with the wiring, the one row that was missing came back (and I've only see it go out once for the past 3 months, but promptly came back).

Eventually, I am going to take these out and look at the wiring scheme, as well as try to see if I can gain functionality of the inside running lights (aside from the rear fog).

I'll let you all know when I do it.

drex
Old 12-14-2005 | 11:21 PM
EKY

I tried to work the wires tonight but no success. I attached the running light wire back up so I could see the lights without me stepping on the brakes. Here's how it looks currently. How sad!
Attached Thumbnails "S" class rear LED taillights, I had some..-dsc01123.jpg   "S" class rear LED taillights, I had some..-dsc01124.jpg   "S" class rear LED taillights, I had some..-dsc01126.jpg  
Old 12-15-2005 | 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Dead Ringer
well about a month ago I purchased the LED taillights. I installed them and right off the bat 2 LEDS were burnt out . SO I waited a few weeks to get some replacements (the company was out of stock). When I finally did receive them, one corner of the red plastic had broken off (I think during transport based on some ripped packaging). Anyways just a few nights ago I noticed 3 MORE bulbs had burnt out, so I now have a total of 5. Well I went home and put the stockers back on. Has anyone else had this problem with the LEDS burning out??
LED's dont burn out. They get damaged by cheap design circuits. Obviously there is little or no voltage and current control and the brand is probably a very low cost model.

Should be good for the life of the car.
Old 12-15-2005 | 02:40 AM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by EKY
I tried to work the wires tonight but no success. I attached the running light wire back up so I could see the lights without me stepping on the brakes. Here's how it looks currently. How sad!
ugh, that sucks man. sorry to see that... I'd love LED tails, but simply not these...
Old 12-15-2005 | 02:13 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

1) Both running lights on the bottom of the taillight are functional on the S-Class, not just one (but the running lights on the w203 LED lights are only functional on either the inside or outside - depending on where a person chooses to place the sockets).

2) The S-Class LED's do not remain on as running lights (w203 LED's act as running lights in conjunction with brake lights).

3) The rear foglight is functional (and looks much better) after the light sockets are flip-flopped from outside-bottom to inside-bottom. (Hence, placing the running lights on the outside portion of the light)

4) There is one bulb (due to how the running lights are set up) that does not have any function at all (but that might change whenever I get a chance to look at the wiring and see if it's possible to splice the current running light wire into the interior wire).

If these ever go through a re-design, these are points that the manufacturer might want to consider and the R&D process.

drex
Old 12-15-2005 | 02:59 PM

02 C32R
Originally Posted by benzmodz
LED's dont burn out. They get damaged by cheap design circuits. Obviously there is little or no voltage and current control and the brand is probably a very low cost model.
yes you are right, something is very wrong with these LED lights overall design. I really like the new M3 LED's they are sporting (the LED bulbs are 2x the size than most cars). I would love to find a design like them, maybe if I get ambitious I will design some from scratch with the larger LEDS (and LEDS for turn sig's ), in one of the clear housings, anyone out there that wants to do this let me know and I will help out.... But for now I will stick with the stock housing. I dont know how well this is going to work, but I ordered some LED's that have 24 leds with 6 of them radially mounted and shining at a 90deg angle, I am going to try them in the car (with resistors so the car doesnt throw codes) and see how they look, I will take pics if it turns out....
Old 12-16-2005 | 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG Black on Carlsson 1/6 EVO
Thanks Drexappeal for sending me the taillight information
Old 12-16-2005 | 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by EKY
That looks like ****. I can't believe anyone would buy this crap.
Old 12-17-2005 | 02:11 AM

2010 C300
Originally Posted by Outland
That looks like ****. I can't believe anyone would buy this crap.
I like the look of the S-class tails... but I agree with benzmodz, LEDs should not burn out. ESPECIALLY this fast. The lights must have a serious electrical problem, or they are mega-****ty LEDs... Go to www.partsexpress.com and see if you can find some new ones... not sure if they'll carry the same size/brightness... but they have a ton of electronics crap.
Old 12-17-2005 | 06:42 AM
EKY

Ahh..well I just bought a pair of NON-LED S-class style lights off E-bay for under 200 bucks shipping included. So hopefully it'll be at my doorstep when I return from my trip on the 23rd.