C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Black on Black C230 a Good Idea?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black on Black C230 a Good Idea?

Good morning everyone

We are considering Mars red or Black with a black interior for our C230. We have never owned a black car. This car will be my daily driver and a "do everything" vehicle.

In Peoria we get some snow (they salt the roads when it snows) and we get alot of sun.

Is the C230 AC powerful enough to keep a black car cool in the summer or does it struggle?

Does Black really require hand washing and alot more care as compared to the Mars Red or any other color??

I take my vehicles infrequently to drive thru car washes in the winter. Im sure I could find a "hand wash" place or wash it at a "do it yourself" place like I used to do if thats what it would take to keep the car looking good. In the spring/summer/fall I hand wash in the driveway. I use a random orbital buffing wheel a couple times a year with "Nu finish". I could/will change car polish for a new car.

Im a little bit picky and I notice scratches. I dont park in the crowded parts of parking lots to avoid door dings etc.

Any info/opinions would be appreciated.

Rich

Last edited by RichinPeoria; 12-31-2005 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:20 AM

06 C230
sounds like you need to get a silver car. yes black cars take much much more work to keep looking good. The ac in my car is very strong, and so is the heater for that matter, but if you are picky about the look of your car, I wouldn't suggest getting black. The new red for 2006 is very pretty as well. barolo red
Old 12-31-2005, 11:26 AM

BMW 135i
i guess its your lucky day lol cuz ihave a c230 05 coupe BLACK on BLACK never can go wrong with that. ok BLACK always in style never looses its value, BLACK looks more seriouse more mean of a car BLACK interior with Leather or fake leather makes the car look sharp in and out every car has its own color and the c230 coupe or seadan is in black metalic obsidion black black is the best color out there for are car you have know idea how crzy sickit makes are car look then just some other color.. when you polsh the car looks very shiney BUT owning a car in black isnt the same as other colors cuz you have to take care of i more with scratches you can tell when its dirty or not you have to ket the kits to clean it or go to car wash an but only the 1 they do hand wash good luck
Old 12-31-2005, 11:30 AM

BMW 135i
Originally Posted by SuperQ
sounds like you need to get a silver car. yes black cars take much much more work to keep looking good. The ac in my car is very strong, and so is the heater for that matter, but if you are picky about the look of your car, I wouldn't suggest getting black. The new red for 2006 is very pretty as well. barolo red

haha oh please sorry but RED omly on a corvete or a honda as you know so called (civic) lol LIKE I SAID every car has its own color yea go buy a
CLSK in RED lol then you will look like a clown or any other mercedes
Old 12-31-2005, 11:39 AM

06 C230
Originally Posted by c230 o5
haha oh please sorry but RED omly on a corvete or a honda as you know so called (civic) lol LIKE I SAID every car has its own color yea go buy a
CLSK in RED lol then you will look like a clown or any other mercedes
the red I spoke of is actually a maroon with huge gold sparkles in the paint. There were 3 C class cars sitting in the show room at my dealership, silver, black and the barolo red, and I can honestly say the barolo red looked the best, but that could just be me because I don't see many barolo mercedes, and having a unique color like barolo red or capri blue is well, kinda special.

p.s. black looks awsome on any car don't get me wrong, it's just a lot more work to keep it looking awsome. silver is by far the easiest color to maintain.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
/////AMG
black on black = HOT in summer
Old 12-31-2005, 11:58 AM

BMW 135i
well this is me black on black leather inside {hre black rims chrome lip comeing soon}
Old 12-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
c230 05, stop talking out of your ***. mars red on a C is hott! there are plenty of members with mars red and it looks great. however, it attracts waaaay too much attention... I still haven't seen barolo red close up... I guess I gotta check it out.

this is my 2nd black/black MB and yes it is a damn pain in the *** to keep clean. I only hand wash and wax my cars (with the exception of the free dealer washes which I will no longer be having done from now on)... however, it gets dusty FAST. I think you could get away with running it through one of those car washes in the winter, but I don't know how the snow will treat it, well I don't know how the snow will treat the red for that matter...

Rich, it sounds like you're like me and park as far from people as possible, no matter what you do, you'll see marks on the car. the nano paint is pretty soft and I have quite a few stone chips on the front already and some random chips that I don't know how they got on my car. my car is also my daily driver and for the most part I've been able to keep it clean and shiny, but it does take a lot of work.

as for the a/c, the a/c isn't that great, but does keep the car cool...

no matter what, you can't go wrong with black or mars red.

good luck with your decision!

as for c230_617 errr c230 05, I forgot to welcome you back... welcome back.

Last edited by nlpamg; 12-31-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
Black on Black is definitely a good looking combination.

Pluses:
- Looks awesome when clean
- Black interior looks classic (lighter colors look 'cheaper', IMO)
- Black carpet doesn't show dirt (looks better, longer)

Minuses:
- Black paint shows swirls/scratches more than any other color
- Black paint shows stone chips very easily (many, many on my car)

As far as showing dirt, I don't think that black shows dirt more than any other color, but it definitely shows any scratches.

After getting the black Benz, I started researching detailing on the web, and found that it's not more difficult to keep black looking good; you just have to use quality products and proper technique. I can clean my car in the same time as the neighbors clean their Lexus . . . but at the end, theirs looks OK, and mine looks

I also have an orbital polisher, and I normally use it in spring - to remove any swirls that may have been accumulated over the winter (sometimes it's just too damn cold for hand washing - so I will run it down an automatic car wash if it gets too dirty). After that, it's just simple hand wash/dry/quick detailer for the rest of the year. NuFinish is OK for a single-step product (cleaner/sealant), but with black, you may want to step up to Klasse or Zaino to really make it shine. It takes no more effort than NuFinish, but the results are outstanding.

I wouldn't shy away from black based on heresay from others. It's not that difficult to maintain. On the other hand, if you would rather run the car through car washes, and in general, not spend the effort, then white or silver are the way to go.

Living in the South, I can tell you that the AC is capable of keeping up with the heat, even down here. I do use a windshield sunscreen, so that keeps the dash from heating up (and then radiating heat when you're trying to cool the car), but even on the days that I've forgotten to put it up, the AC has the car comfortable in just a couple of minutes.

Whatever color you choose, you'll be getting a great car. Enjoy!!!
Old 12-31-2005, 01:53 PM

04 C230K-ss
I have a black on black and "like" it.....and I just washed it, oh wait its already showing dirt already
Old 12-31-2005, 01:53 PM

2005 C230 Orion Blue
Check out my ORION BLUE for sale in the
CLASSIFIEDS or here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4601025528

the color is rare and an eye catcher,
not hard to clean like black and
the light interior stays cooler in summer than black.

email me with questions

dkicks@charter.net or

check out the listing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4601025528
Old 12-31-2005, 02:13 PM

I use to have a black on black c320. I loved it but damn it was so hard to keep clean. Thats why i now have a white C now

Old 12-31-2005, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by RichinPeoria
I use a random orbital buffing wheel a couple times a year with "Nu finish". I could/will change car polish for a new car.
.....NU Finish............are you serious......if you get the benz AT LEAST upgrade to Meguiars.......but you really want Zaino for a black Benz.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:05 PM

Im a little uneducated on the latest polishes etc...

I was just on the Zaino site reading about their products. I now have a headache. Ill have to give them a call to find out what they would recommend for a new black car and put in an order later. Nu Finish has worked well for me but Im a little behind the times when in comes to new polishes, sealants etc.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
I was just on the Zaino site reading about their products. I now have a headache. Ill have to give them a call to find out what they would recommend for a new black car and put in an order later. Nu Finish has worked well for me but Im a little behind the times when in comes to new polishes, sealants etc.

LOL me too!!! that stuff was confusing as hell. I am hopefully picking up my car by the 20th black on black 06 c230
Old 12-31-2005, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's what you want to get :

Zaino Z2 - Polish for clear coats
Zaino ZFX - Flash cure additive
Zaino Z7 - car wash
Zaino Z6 - finishing detail spray - also used in between Z2 coats.
Zaino Z8 - use this right before you roll out on the town!
Zaino ZPC - down the road get this - paint cleaner - takes out swirls !

DON'T FORGET - CLAY BAR THE CAR & WASH WITH DAWN DISHWASHING DETERGENT BEFORE APPLYING THESE PRODUCTS !

...........then post pics !
Old 12-31-2005, 03:34 PM

Flash cure additive??

Originally Posted by C43AMG
Here's what you want to get :

Zaino Z2 - Polish for clear coats
Zaino ZFX - Flash cure additive
Zaino Z7 - car wash
Zaino Z6 - finishing detail spray - also used in between Z2 coats.
Zaino Z8 - use this right before you roll out on the town!
Zaino ZPC - down the road get this - paint cleaner - takes out swirls !

DON'T FORGET - CLAY BAR THE CAR & WASH WITH DAWN DISHWASHING DETERGENT BEFORE APPLYING THESE PRODUCTS !

...........then post pics !
C43AMG,

Whats a "flash cure additive" and why/when would we want to use it?

Is this something you want to mix in with the polish before you use it ( like 2 part epoxy paints..ie Imron etc.?)

Rich
Old 12-31-2005, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43AMG,

Whats a "flash cure additive" and why/when would we want to use it?

Is this something you want to mix in with the polish before you use it ( like 2 part epoxy paints..ie Imron etc.?)

Rich
It is an additive.When the Z2 first came out you had to wait a certain period of time to allow the polish to ...say "cure" before you could do another coat.The "flash cure additive" eliminates the wait.In between coats you use the Z6 spray and you'll be amazed at the shine.BTW if you search the "Detailing" forum you will find numerous threads about using Zaino.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:03 PM

2005 Obsidian Black C230 Komp Sports Sedan, 2006 Iridium Silver ML350 SUV
black/black and mars red/black
Old 12-31-2005, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
It is an additive.When the Z2 first came out you had to wait a certain period of time to allow the polish to ...say "cure" before you could do another coat.The "flash cure additive" eliminates the wait.In between coats you use the Z6 spray and you'll be amazed at the shine.BTW if you search the "Detailing" forum you will find numerous threads about using Zaino.
Anyway you can put a step by step right up of how to use it. I now know which products to buy but have no clue what to do with it.
You seem like you know what you are talking about.
What kind of cloth or sponge or tools would i need?
Also our brake dust is horrible, what's a good product to apply to the wheels?

Sorry to threadjack...get black
Old 12-31-2005, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FIXEDupW209
Anyway you can put a step by step right up of how to use it. I now know which products to buy but have no clue what to do with it.
You seem like you know what you are talking about.
What kind of cloth or sponge or tools would i need?
Also our brake dust is horrible, what's a good product to apply to the wheels?

Sorry to threadjack...get black
Ok ,here goes :
#1 ) Wash car with Dawn Dishwashing liquid. I use a sheepskin mit.
# 2) Clay bar the car - Zaino has their own clay - if you use their clay buy a extra bottle of Z6 to use as lubricant for the clay.Mother's makes a decent kit also - you can get it at Pepboys.
# 3 ) After clay barring the car , re-wash with Dawn.
# 4 ) Mix Zaino Z2 and flash cure additive according to directions.On my car I only need half of the small mixing bottles - if this is your first application mix a full bottle.This will be enough for 2 coats.
# 5 ) I use a small round wax applicator pad I got from Griots ( part # 10629 )
and I start with the roof and work a small section at a time - a drop or 2 of Zaino will cover a 18" by 18" square area ( approx.) I do one side of the roof and then do the other side and come back and wipe down the 1st section with a micro fiber towel ( flipping sections as I wipe )I continue until I've completed the car.
# 6 ) wipe down entire car with Z6 detailing spray - use a NEW or clean micro fiber towel ( not the one you removed the wax with , duh ).
#7 ) REPEAT STEP 5
# 8 ) REPEAT STEP 6
# 9 ) take a much needed break
#10 ) Wipe down car about with Z8 about 45 minutes before you hit the town and you're set. !

As far as the wheels- everybody's got they're own method - I keep hand towels that I clip from hotels ( they want you to take them )I stay in the trunk and I wipe the wheels when I come home.

Last edited by C43AMG; 12-31-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
Ok ,here goes :
#1 ) Wash car with Dawn Dishwashing liquid. I use a sheepskin mit.
# 2) Clay bar the car - Zaino has their own clay - if you use their clay buy a extra bottle of Z6 to use as lubricant for the clay.Mother's makes a decent kit also - you can get it at Pepboys.
# 3 ) After clay barring the car , re-wash with Dawn.
# 4 ) Mix Zaino Z2 and flash cure additive according to directions.On my car I only need half of the small mixing bottles - if this is your first application mix a full bottle.This will be enough for 2 coats.
# 5 ) I use a small round wax applicator pad I got from Griots ( part # 10629 )
and I start with the roof and work a small section at a time - a drop or 2 of Zaino will cover a 18" by 18" square area ( approx.) I do one side of the roof and then do the other side and come back and wipe down the 1st section with a micro fiber towel ( flipping sections as I wipe )I continue until I've completed the car.
# 6 ) wipe down entire car with Z6 detailing spray - use a NEW or clean micro fiber towel ( not the one you removed the wax with , duh ).
#7 ) REPEAT STEP 5
# 8 ) REPEAT STEP 6
# 9 ) take a much needed break
#10 ) Wipe down car about with Z8 about 45 minutes before you hit the town and you're set. !

As far as the wheels- everybody's got they're own method - I keep hand towels that I clip from hotels I stay in ( they want you to take them ) in the trunk and I wipe the wheels when I come home.

What products do you use for the tires? And what product do you use for wheels so brake dust doesn't attach itself as easily. Thanks...ordering products from zaino right now
Old 12-31-2005, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What products do you use for the tires? And what product do you use for wheels so brake dust doesn't attach itself as easily. Thanks...ordering products from zaino right now
A few members have used "Wheel Wax" -I can't speak for that product cause I've never used it.I use the Zaino right on the wheels!As far as the tires, I've tried just about all the sprays but I keep coming back to Meguiars Endurance gel - this is the only Meguiars product I use - the rest - Zaino!
Old 12-31-2005, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
A few members have used "Wheel Wax" -I can't speak for that product cause I've never used it.I use the Zaino right on the wheels!As far as the tires, I've tried just about all the sprays but I keep coming back to Meguiars Endurance gel - this is the only Meguiars product I use - the rest - Zaino!

Perfect thanks a lot...when would you use the z7 and you suggest applying z6 before claying? Did i read that right
Old 12-31-2005, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Perfect thanks a lot...when would you use the z7 and you suggest applying z6 before claying? Did i read that right
The Z7 will now become your car wash detergent.It is designed to work with the Zaino Polishes.If you take your car to the car wash after Zainoing it all your hard work will go down the drain.Only wash your car with the Z7 - unless you do what I do - clay bar every 6 months - then follow the directions I wrote.The Z6 is sprayed on a small area - say 12" x 12" then begin to work the area with the clay bar.You will want to keep a clean mtcro fiber towel ( yes , another one ) handy t wipe off the Z6 after claying the area.Make sure you post some pics of the new ride.If you need more help when you do it PM me - I'll walk you through it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Black on Black C230 a Good Idea?