C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

"mickey-mouse" cell phone holder??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 176 Likes on 146 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
"mickey-mouse" cell phone holder??

I know that most members prefer, slick, professional, quasi-OEM mods, but can anyone recommend a "mickey-mouse" (i.e. easy to rig up, cheap, no damage to car) method of holding ones Bluetooth phone in the car, such that it is visible, not in the way, but in proximity to the cigarette lighter? maybe a vent-mount or other?
Old 01-19-2006, 03:42 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
How 'bout this one?

The key element of my solution is a Handsfree (brand) "Sticky Pad" gel sheet, available at computer stores (even saw them at Wal-Mart auto section recently). It self-adheres to an "L" shaped plastic bracket, fashioned with a bench grinder from one of those plastic file folder stands I found thrown in the office trash bin. Velcro the long side of the "L" bracket to the inside of the cubbie hole. Simple, elegent, and out of the way, removable, etc...

Now, for you snobs that don't find this solution "Gucci" enough, keep in mind that anyone who sees my little Rube Goldberg setup is very impressed with how close the item hugs the dash, and how the phone never falls off. Just remove the pad and wash it twice a year, and it regains its stickiness -- the phone defies gravity for months. I have taught several friends how to make their own.

BTW, I've tried sticking the gel to the Tan dash between the cubbie hole and the glove box, but it has a slight curve in it when placed there, so the phone will fall off. To hang the phone vertically (or nearly so) the pad surface has to be flat and the back side of the phone needs a flat plane, too.
Attached Thumbnails "mickey-mouse" cell phone holder??-cellmount.jpg  
Old 01-19-2006, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

so that sticky pad holds the phone, even in that near-vertical position? and it "sticks" the plastic piece you fashioned as well? so the only "fastening" you had to do was the velcro itself: stick the vel- to the side of the cubby; stick the -cro to the custom plastic piece, and that's it?
Old 01-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
You've got it, exactly.

The Handsfree Sticky Pad is sticky on both sides, but sticks more securely to the bracket (so it never comes free when you remove the phone). Nifty, huh?

Handsfree makes two kinds of sticky pad, an original thin sheet, and this thicker, gel-composition type. You want the gel kind. I place one of the thinner sheets on top of the dash and place my cell-phone earpeice/mic on it... occassionally a pair of sunglasses too. Neither one moves while driving.

Finally, these pads leave no residue on the car's dash pieces when you remove them.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey MB-Bob, I bought a sticky-pad ($5.99, Staples), but haven't yet scrounged a piece of plastic for the "mount".
I have to ask: have you considered making these and selling them, either at a large mark-up or for a nominal fee (either way, it wouldn't be much)?
Assuming you won't become a "manufacturer", I'm searching for just the right piece of plastic. In the meantime, I put the sticky pad in a few different places, as an experiment, and I wasn't able to duplicate the holding power you describe in the near-vertical orientation your photo seems to show. Yours must "recline back" ever so slightly....
Old 01-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Jkw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004.5 C 230
You could try this from Harrington www.herringtoncatalog.com/r104.html
Attached Thumbnails "mickey-mouse" cell phone holder??-herrington-catalog_1882_17359759.gif  
Old 01-25-2006, 03:18 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally Posted by eddieo45
Hey MB-Bob, I bought a sticky-pad ($5.99, Staples), but haven't yet scrounged a piece of plastic for the "mount".
I have to ask: have you considered making these and selling them, either at a large mark-up or for a nominal fee (either way, it wouldn't be much)?
Assuming you won't become a "manufacturer", I'm searching for just the right piece of plastic. In the meantime, I put the sticky pad in a few different places, as an experiment, and I wasn't able to duplicate the holding power you describe in the near-vertical orientation your photo seems to show. Yours must "recline back" ever so slightly....
Sorry mate, just noticing this. As I said, there aren't any perfectly flat plane surfaces on the dash of the car. It's gotta be flat or it won't hold. Even though new, you can follow directions on the sticky pad and wash it in warm soapy water to be sure it's real sticky...

I'm not in the manufacturing business for this, but here are a couple suggestions for plastic... Hit the office supply store for Plastic bookends, plastic file folder holders, harddware store for angle brackets for shelving, draperies, etc. You could also ask about some angled aluminum (scrap) from a local metal fabricator.

Yes the mount reclines about 5 degrees. About the same angle that the dash reclines. Not much though.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
I personally saw MB-BOBs device, and was so impressed at how it worked, I re-created it for my own C class. This was pre-sticky pad though. The original design had a magnet which is what I used. I used 3m tape to stick the magnet to the mount, and then Velcro on the right side of the accessory box to hold the plastic mount in place. I placed the small circular magnet that came with the magnet mount on the inside of the back cover of my V60 phone. It worked great.

Although I don't think MB-BOB can get rich off of his little creations, they are impressive. He also has a dead pedal and a custom flat hood ornament, and I'm sure many other custom gadgets!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB-BOB
I'm not in the manufacturing business for this, but here are a couple suggestions for plastic... Hit the office supply store for Plastic bookends, plastic file folder holders, harddware store for angle brackets for shelving, draperies, etc. You could also ask about some angled aluminum (scrap) from a local metal fabricator.
well, I had to try (I've reached the stage where I get more satisfaction buying something that works than creating it myself)! any cahnce you'd post a pic of what your plastic piece looks like? I do like how the sticky pad renders it invisible, but I'd love a look at it before I start hacking up my office supplies!
Old 01-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
OK, here's the mount. It's just an L-shaped bracket made from a black "smoked" plastic, manila file folder organizer. Imagine the upper right picture... the long vertical edge with the velcro attached is one of 6-7 upright dividers, while the shorter base at bottom is the notch between the dividers. Also looks a bit like a book-end, too, doesn't it?

The parts that are hidden within the cubby hole and behind Sticky Pad can be roughly finished (as you can see).

Also, you can see the "tilt" angle on the long tang is not much at all. Just grind the tang leaning to one side. Take a piece of cardboard, fold it, and trim with scissors until you get the shape desired, then transfer to the plastic. You WILL need a belt sander mounted on a bench to shape it.
Attached Thumbnails "mickey-mouse" cell phone holder??-cellmountpts.jpg  
Old 02-06-2006, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 c300 4matic, 2002 c240
i found this site. anyone try these?
http://www.arkon.com/phonemount.php
Old 02-17-2006, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

y'know, when I was a kid, I was a champion mouser. give me a roll of duct tape and some paper clips and...well, I digress. here's what I did. I took one of those monster paper clips one would use for a 200 page document and clipped it to the console. then I removed the "handles" from the clip, attached my cellphone using the belt clip, and, voila, hands-free cradle. total cost, zero (the clip was on a 200 page document I had to review---I replaced it with a rubber band)

Old 02-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Cut a refrigerator magnet to size, slap it to the battery compartment of the phone using double-sided tape, and you wouldn't even need the belt clip...

What you have is simple, and creative. Visually obvious what it really is, though. More of a "Rube Goldberg" phone holder now than a "Mickey Mouse" holder. LOL!
Old 02-17-2006, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C230 SS
y'know, when I was a kid, I was a champion mouser. give me a roll of duct tape and some paper clips and...well, I digress. here's what I did. I took one of those monster paper clips one would use for a 200 page document and clipped it to the console. then I removed the "handles" from the clip, attached my cellphone using the belt clip, and, voila, hands-free cradle. total cost, zero (the clip was on a 200 page document I had to review---I replaced it with a rubber band)

how is your fold holding onto it? i have the same fone, i think... moto e815?