C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

BOV on C-Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 01:48 PM
tb2
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Kompressor
BOV on C-Coupe

I was talking about my car with friends yesterday and one asked why I hadn't installed a blow off valve yet. If my understanding is correct a blow off valve would release excess (unused) pressure in the supercharger lowering the temp and therefore effectively increasing power. Is there a particular reason why I haven't seen anyone posting about BOV's on our cars? Is there a reason why this would not work or would not be beneficial?
Old 08-01-2002, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
A blow off valve does nothing to increase power (although it does prevent lag somewhat when changing gears). Blow off valves are a safety precaution engineered into turbocharger systems to prevent excessive back-pressure in the system when the throttle is snapped shut. This is to prevent undue wear of the thrust bearings in the turbo. With a supercharged engine this isn't a problem because the supercharger is driven directly off the engine and slows when the throttle is released.

Cheers, BT
Old 08-01-2002, 02:06 PM
tb2
Almost a Member!

2002 C230 Kompressor
Thanks Trench, your reply is exactly what I was looking for. I guess my friends were just wrong about superchargers having BOV's too. It seemed a bit odd to me because I had only heard of them mentioned in conjunction with turbo systems in the past.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a company that makes special blow off valves that work on any car or motorcycle. It has pre-recorded sounds of a blow of valve that goes off when you let go of the throttle. It's about $300 but doesn't require a turbo so you save money. Search the forums, there's a link to the company somewhere.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 VW GTI
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
There is a company that makes special blow off valves that work on any car or motorcycle. It has pre-recorded sounds of a blow of valve that goes off when you let go of the throttle. It's about $300 but doesn't require a turbo so you save money. Search the forums, there's a link to the company somewhere.
are you joking?

i wonder if they sell recorded sounds of a pulley system, too.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:21 PM
tb2
Almost a Member!

2002 C230 Kompressor
Uhm, but whats the f***ing point?
Old 08-01-2002, 02:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
All kinds of wacky sh*t came out after F&F.

Can't wait to see what they try to pass off in the sequel. I'm hoping for a three-bottle NOS system. :p
Old 08-01-2002, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by tb2

Uhm, but whats the f***ing point?
I thought that's what you wanted, the Pffst sound. Why in h*ll would anyone put a f***ing BOV on a supercharged car except for the sound! You know, like a wing or body kit on your car for performance reason (riiiight).

Unless you are talking about removing the supercharger and replacing it with a turbo which is certainly plausible and allow you way more boost than that Eaton M45 can ever produce and without the drag on the motor from the S/C.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Slightly off topic: Top fuel drag cars have a special plate mounted to the blower that tears apart to release pressure if/when something goes wrong in the engine. It's a safety device designed to prevent the blower from being exploded off the engine and into the stands (or low-earth orbit). There's no ...pssst... sound though, it's more like: ......BANG!!......

I wonder if there's an electronic version of a blower explosion somewhere that I can mount on the coupe.....

Last edited by avlis; 08-01-2002 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by tommy
I'm hoping for a three-bottle NOS system. :p
Remember that's pronounced "naws" not "n.o.s."

Cheers, BT
Old 08-01-2002, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This will help TB2 with his BOV needs. Dont' be embarrased TB2, some people spend thousands for aero kits that don't do anything but look good or chrome, so what's a few hundred to have the only BOV on a C230.

http://www.takakaira.com/php/template.php3?id=163&cat=3
Old 08-01-2002, 03:03 PM
tb2
Almost a Member!

2002 C230 Kompressor

I thought that's what you wanted, the Pffst sound. Why in h*ll would anyone put a f***ing BOV on a supercharged car except for the sound!
I was not wanting the sound, I was asking if a BOV was as benifical for a supercharger setup as it is a turbo. I was misinformed that BOV's were used on both and not just turbos.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
Settle down Buell, not everyone is out to ruin Benzes by ricing them out. I think he made it pretty clear why he was asking about the bov.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:14 PM

'02 C230K Coupe
EXACTLY what I was looking for!!!

BTW, can you find me a similar system that makes a V-tech type of sound? :p
Old 08-01-2002, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
Maybe next they'll come out with something that makes an air rushing sound to simluate all of that air thats being forced down by the highly effective wing.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:24 PM

'02 C230K Coupe
Originally posted by AndrewK
Maybe next they'll come out with something that makes an air rushing sound to simluate all of that air thats being forced down by the highly effective wing.
It'll work...

... as long as you set the angle to 60 degrees...
Old 08-01-2002, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You do someone a favor and look at the abuse I get. This was the only BOV I know of that will work in the coupe, be EPA and CARB legal and not void his warranty. It even comes in two different sounds so you have choice.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:35 PM
tb2
Almost a Member!

2002 C230 Kompressor
Originally posted by AndrewK
Settle down Buell, not everyone is out to ruin Benzes by ricing them out. I think he made it pretty clear why he was asking about the bov.
Thank you very much, I have a feeling he just didn't understand were I was coming from.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:47 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
I'm convinced tb2 was asking a legitimate question to learn something about BOVs.

However, I looked up Buellwinkle's URL on the "NA Blow Off Valve Noise Maker" and I just had to laugh. Here's the copy from the ad...

"Once the accelerator is stepped off (huh?), the NA Blow Off Valve will generate a sound like a turbocharged vehicle's blow off valve. The sound from the NA Blow Off Valve can be adjusted to be the same as a turbo blow off valve. The NA Blow Off Valve sounds like a real blow off valve in turbo applications. You will not be able to tell the difference on the sound generated between the NA Blow Off Valve & the turbo blow off valve. The sound generated is conspicuous, and will not make one have a second look to ensure if it is genuine."

That last sentence is hilarious. Like your buddies won't know you have the "genuine deal" when they ask you to pop the hood and show 'em the BOV? For something that's supposed to be stealthy, I'm surprised they painted the box hot PINK, too.

Revstriker, I think this will make a perfect addition for your new arrival's baby carriage. Nothing wrong with teaching your child how to fart properly at a young age.

LOL!
Old 08-01-2002, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB-Bob, it's like nobody can take a joke around here. Can you move this entire post to the joke forum.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:51 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Re: BOV on C-Coupe

Originally posted by tb2
I was talking about my car with friends yesterday and one asked why I hadn't installed a blow off valve yet. If my understanding is correct a blow off valve would release excess (unused) pressure in the supercharger lowering the temp and therefore effectively increasing power. Is there a particular reason why I haven't seen anyone posting about BOV's on our cars? Is there a reason why this would not work or would not be beneficial?
I think i asked a good question. I asked the same thing a cupple months ago. I was once with my friend at a turbo shop and i had my car there and they said do u have a BOV on that i was like umm no its supercharged not turbo charged and he was telling how many REAL BOV's they sell and put on supercharged cars. And he said it can be done on mine. Although it wont really help in any way of performance it will still make the awsome sound with the real thing not a speaker. But i decided its a waste and i did not really want anything like that on my car.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:14 PM

Not doubting any of your technical knowledge, but Vortech has a centrifugal supercharger for the Civic SiR and it includes a bypass valve. Now I know that's not exactly the same as a Blow-off valve (I think the by-pass valve recirculates the air, whereas the BOV vents it? not sure), so, why is that? Is it because it's a centrifugal supercharger that operates differently compared to what we use, I would presume, an older design?
Old 08-01-2002, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whatever valve or wastegate you get it's not as cool as this one. You want power get a pulley or chip you want "pisshhh" get NA BOV.

It's a legit product, $340. After you get this one let me know and I'll figure out a boost controller for ya.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally posted by MB-BOB
Revstriker, I think this will make a perfect addition for your new arrival's baby carriage. Nothing wrong with teaching your child how to fart properly at a young age.

LOL!
Just ordered one for the Graco Metro Lite. It'll sound great as we walk though the mall!! :p
Old 08-02-2002, 11:44 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
MB-Bob, it's like nobody can take a joke around here. Can you move this entire post to the joke forum.
Sure, Groucho! Where's the joke forum?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BOV on C-Coupe