C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

another positive review of the coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 08:46 PM
benzomonterey

another positive review of the coupe

Road and Track's January 2002 issue has a great review of the Coupe.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
The January 2002 is the first REAL review of the C Coupe in the U.S. (rather a 'first drive'). In other words, first review where they got to keep the car long enough to perform extended testing. It was very interesting to see their technical data page. Also that they preferred automatic over manual, unlike most 'first drives' reviewers.

Several interesting notes:

1) MB, unlike Japanese makers, doesn't bother to engineer their 2nd gear to hit 62 MPH and therefore produce great 0-60 numbers. The C Coupe needs a shift into third before hitting 60, making it 'seem' slower than the Acura RSX-S and similar. But the truth is far different. If you look at where it drives 0-50 and below, you see it keeps right up, and is even ahead in 0-30. Meaning that in a real life drag-race with an RSX-S, the MB would get ahead and probably maintain that lead right through...

2) Their skidpad numbers were way too low. Then I think I realized what was going on. Road and Track does all their tests with traction control left ON. The MB is doing what it does well, keeping the skidpad driver from going fast enough to spin out. :p I wonder what the real numbers would be with the traction control disabled. Road and Track probably missed this, because unlike other cars with Traction Control, the Coupe has throttle-by-wire (most other cars with traction control don't have this), which limits the drivers ability to slam those tires around the skidpad. This would probably also increase their 0-60 and 1/4 mile figures too. Their strange clockwise/counter-clockwise figures were probably the result of tire-wear or inflation, which caused traction control to behave differently.

3) Their tests were with a regular package, not with the C7 wheel package, which would have increased performance slightly.

Rick
Old 12-12-2001, 11:40 PM

ex-C32
Rick is onto something with Japanese and 0-60 numbers. Here is proof:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/ar...echno_1101.jsp

Norm
Old 12-13-2001, 02:55 AM

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
I really doubt they do the testing with the ESP on for the skip-pad (been subscribing for a long time and have no memory of this), they did use a car without C7... so some difference there.

also, the track surface can and will make all the difference in the world. its a good review, but MB really needs to be handing out C7-equipped examples to the journalists.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:55 AM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
I remember reading over a year ago when they tested a BMW that they leave traction control ON. It's how they interpret "stock", driving the car as it would be configured off the showroom floor. No modifications.

In the same magazine I also noticed how Ferrari achieves their amazing 4 second 0-60... it is all done in 1st gear, without gear changes. I wonder if the same applies to the Z06's amazing 0-60 in 3.9 seconds...

Rick
Old 12-13-2001, 12:30 PM

I'm not sure that I'd consider pushing a button to be a modification! Still, they must have procedures.