C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Shift knob question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C350 sport sedan (for my daily driver).
Shift knob question

I am thinking about changing the (6M) shift knob for something a little smaller. However, it doesn't seem like the knob is threaded on (and twists off) or is secured with mounting screws like a Momo knob. I know that this is not rocket science but I don't want to break anything while trying to get it off. If someone here has already taken theirs off, I would appreciate any tips or hints. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
Open the ash tray and using your finger tips pull up the shifter trim panel. Open the armrest to get the back edge off. Lift up the whole trim piece and on the shifter arm right uner the leather boot is a white ring. Twist it and it will fall down. Once thats loose, grab the knob and pull up. Viola!
Old 02-14-2006, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is SOLD
seems like a lot of work to me just to take a shift knob off....i say just leave the one you have on now unless whatever you're planning to put on looks better?
Old 02-14-2006, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
It actually takes all of 2 minutes to do it. I just dont know of a shift knob that you could use to replace it. I would like to get the knob with the star from the '05+ auto transmission, but I have not been able to seperate the knob from the boot. Although, granted I haven't really tried!
Old 02-14-2006, 10:47 PM

BMW 135i
Originally Posted by Ferraristi23
I am thinking about changing the (6M) shift knob for something a little smaller. However, it doesn't seem like the knob is threaded on (and twists off) or is secured with mounting screws like a Momo knob. I know that this is not rocket science but I don't want to break anything while trying to get it off. If someone here has already taken theirs off, I would appreciate any tips or hints. Thanks in advance.
oki have a 6 manual like you i tried to tke mine iff to put a brabus 1 and brabus a$$ send me the wrong 1 so lts begin...............Pull out the leather carefully there is a plastic attach around it when u pull upthe plastic thats attach to the leather rais it up high so wereusee a black plastic thing and then twist the black thing and then pull the knob out it wontcome outthat easy to wiggle it around and just pull it towrds up ^
Old 02-14-2006, 10:49 PM

BMW 135i
Originally Posted by Ferraristi23
ok i have a 6 manual like you..... i tried to take mine off, to put a brabus 1 and brabus a$$ send me the wrong 1 . so lets begin.....>...>...>....Pull out the leather carefully there is a plastic attach around it when u pull upthe plastic thats attach to the leather raise it up high so were usee a black plastic thing and then twist the black thing and then pull the knob out it wont come outthat easy. wiggle it around and just pull it towrds up ^
Old 02-15-2006, 12:30 PM

2006 C350 sport sedan (for my daily driver).
Thanks for the help, guys! Well, I guess that I was wrong - it is rocket science . It will come off easily enough but I did not expect this. Now the issue is, as Nemo said, what to replace it with. I wanted to put on the smaller aluminum Momo knob on that secures with the 3 set screws but this is not looking 100% possible now. C230, what was the issue with the Brabus knob?
Old 02-15-2006, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Grom
If I remember correctly, you have to cut open your ,knob in order to use the same boot on the manuals. If you do a search on here... your answer will be found. I did the search a few weeks ago and remember coming across the link for manuals.