C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Engine Died on the Freeway.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230, 6 Speed, Bose Stereo, 6 CD Changer
Unhappy Engine Died on the Freeway.

My C230 is 6 months old and has about 8300 miles on it. It died inexplicably while driving on I-80 near Fairfield CA on Sunday, August 4, 2002. I was in heavy, slow traffic, with my foot off the accelerator, going about 25mph. When I started to accelerate slowly with traffic, nothing happened, the engine had stopped running! I put on the emergency flasher, and tried to restart the engine, it turned over several times, but didn't start. I put on my turn signal and started to coast over to the right, got off the highway and onto the truck exit lane for the
weigh station. I tried to restart the car again, this time it fired up and I was able to rejoin traffic. I had plenty of gasoline and no malfunction message came up on the dash readout. I estimate it was off for 20 to 30 seconds. I drove another 100 miles that day with no reoccurence of any engine problem. The dealer said to bring it in to see if a fault code can be found. Mine is a white exterior grey interior 2002 Kompressor Coupe, 6 speed with no C7 option. The only options I have are the Bose stereo and the 6 CD changer in the glovebox. I wonder if it is a fuel pump problem, similiar to some other posters? Thanks for any input.
Peter
Old 08-06-2002, 05:46 PM

C230K Manny, Albaster White/Oyster Leather/C1/C5/C7/CD
Thank god you are okay and it did not happen when you are driving around 70 mph and a big 18 wheeler following you just 100 ft behind.

Please post us if the dealer finds anything.
Old 08-06-2002, 06:47 PM

c230 Coupe
it bothers me that i keep seeing posts exactly like this more and more. this seems to be a big problem with the c- class.... i am getting freaked out by it- glad to hear youre alright
Old 08-06-2002, 07:23 PM

w203 kompressor
this is crazy...2002 mercedes'? or kia?

same thing that happened to you , happened to me. i had about a 15 second stall but, a stall is a stall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i got my car 3 weeks ago and i have intentionally put about 1300 miles on the car to see the result. I DID take it to the shop but... they were in total awe..." wow" , "this couldn't have happened to you" and the Best one was at the end when they said they can't find anything. theres a little more to the story but to sum it up.... the dealers don't take the car back unless so many have reported the problem and a few people DIE!!!!!!! Therefore puting a recall in place. There are so many that don't have probs that they dont want to put the effort into finding the problems. Reguardless if it is the fuel system, the brake sensor, or the assembly that the things go in.

1300 miles and still truckin'

Charlie Brown

I luv mercedes but Hondas run forever!!!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2002, 12:06 AM

'02 C230K Coupe
From what I heard about the intake/intercooler system, the stall occurs most often in high traffic on hot days. In other words, hot air and low speeds. This seems to cause some type of overheating problem due to lack of cooling air running across the intercooler system, and thus the engine stalls. I know this isn't the most technical or guaranteed description, but this seems to summarize it best.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:06 AM

C230 coupe 6sp
You guys should report this to the NHTSA. They have a web form you can fill out for safety related problems. I bet if everyone who had this happen, (and it seems pretty common) reported it, Mercedes would have to do something. The scary thing is that it doesn't even put a code in the computer.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Here:

http://www.nhtsa.org/hotline/
Old 08-07-2002, 09:03 AM

C230K
Originally posted by preyx
From what I heard about the intake/intercooler system, the stall occurs most often in high traffic on hot days. In other words, hot air and low speeds. This seems to cause some type of overheating problem due to lack of cooling air running across the intercooler system, and thus the engine stalls. I know this isn't the most technical or guaranteed description, but this seems to summarize it best.
We had a C230K that stalled 3 times, at speed ranging from standstill to 80mph. All three occurred in winter. Even the C320 wagon loaner we had did it once (not quite a stall, but almost no pwer from pull-off) and it doesn't have a blower.

The most worrying thing is that there is no pattern to the problem.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:56 AM

C230 K
Angry

My car is in the shop for the stalling problem for almost one week. I took the European delivery and my car stalled 3 times, once on the highway driving 80 mph and twice in a crowded intersection. The engine usually came back to live after a 10 –15 seconds. Sometimes I had to restart the engine. After I got the car back to US it started to happen again. The last time the car stalled 5 times in a 5mph traffic and raining. I reported the problem to my dealer Millennium Mercedes in NJ and of course the first time they did not find anything wrong. They just reset the computer. The second time they replaced my fuel pump and one sensor. The result was when I filled up my tank gas started to drip from underneath the car (opposite side of the fuel cap). I’m really concerned if they will be able to fix my car right this time. They will replace again the fuel pump and the fuel lines. I’m even considering calling MB customer service. On top of this my registration and plates are still not ready after one month. Fuc… MB and ..uck Millennium MB. Will post an update when my car hopefully will be ready. Maybe I should have bought a BMW.
Old 08-07-2002, 10:01 AM

C230K
Did replacing the fuel pump fix the stalling problem?
Old 08-07-2002, 10:07 AM

C230 K
It seemed to fix the stalling problem but my engine hesitated when cold for a minute or two. Also I drove the car for only 100-200 miles until I filled up the tank and the gas started to leak. I guess it was too soon to tell if it really fixed the problem.

Last edited by totita; 08-07-2002 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-07-2002, 10:38 AM
JeT

Hearing all these problems is very disconcerting. However, I am wondering if having these problems depend on where the car was put together? Alternatively, maybe its the climate in which the car is driven, although I would expect many parts of the US are comparable to Australia in terms of climate.

No one is having these sorts of problems in Australia from what I can gather (TOUCH WOOD!) They are considered to be one of the most reliable cars in here (said with some bias of course). Maybe the other Ozzies have some war stories! If so, do tell.

Peter, CharlieB and Totita, I hope you all work out the problems.

Last edited by JeT; 08-07-2002 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:05 PM

w203 kompressor
no pattern

although ther is no pattern to the stalling... are there any symptoms?
my car was on the freeway at a speed of about 55-60 mph and it stalled... temp. was about 100degrees ( everyday) and nothing crazy for circumstances

charlie
Old 08-07-2002, 03:10 PM

2002 CL500
What do you guys mean by "stalling"? Please explain.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:19 PM

C230
While watching the MB mechanic at my local dealer change my Fuel Setting to Stage II last week, I asked the mechanic what problems he sees the most with these new c-class cars. He said "So far there haven't been a lot of problems, as the M111 is a good engine. The problem he has seen the most is with the fuel pumps failing on both the sedans and coupes, but only rarely"
Old 08-07-2002, 03:28 PM

C230K
Originally posted by Pweb
What do you guys mean by "stalling"? Please explain.
In my case, the engine died, and every light on the dash came on - looked like Windows Blue Screen of Death. Funnily enough, the "Check Engine" light didn't stay on afterwards, so the MB techs couldn't get a fault code.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:43 PM

2002 C230, 6 Speed, Bose Stereo, 6 CD Changer
Post 90 Toyota Camry had similiar problem of engine dying.

My Camry engine shut down many times while on the freeway over a six month or 12 month period several years ago. It would last for a few seconds, then it would restart spontaneously. I didn't figure it out until one night coming home from work, I hit the threshold speed (about 110 - 120 mph) for the protective speed limiter to activate. That activation was identical to what was happening at normal highway speeds. After that intentional shut down, the problem disappeared and has not reoccured over the past few years. It was like I rebooted my computer at work to take care of a software or hardware glitch of some sort, and when I turn the computer back on the problem is gone
Old 08-07-2002, 07:55 PM

Comparing a Camry to MB Re : Stalling

I started driving in the '70s and accepted that cars stalled.
It doesn't surprise me that your '90 Camry engine died while driving at highway speeds .. but in the '90s, that's not acceptable.
In a 2002 C-Class, stalling/dead engine should be unheard of.
I hope you guys get your car fixed, and I hope it doesn't happen to the rest of us ... it's very scary.
Where are you Mercedes ?

Old 08-07-2002, 08:00 PM
Almost a Member!

C230K Coupe
I, too, had the engine stall fit (5 or 6) while in traffic, slow and hot. Same story here about there not being a fault code and it was dismissed to user error. Haven't had it since but now I've been noticing sort of a hard start first thing in the morning. By this I mean having to hold the key in "on" for a little longer than usual and, after starting, the engine sounds as if it wants to die. If I attempt to start off right away it acts like it did during the stall fit, but I am able to keep it running. This will only happen when starting after sitting a long time and just for the initial 3 to 5 seconds. This could be a seperate issue but I feel it could be related. Hearing from others, it doesn't sound like it is climate related (intercooling system). Also, another idea was that the brake switch could send a malfunction if tapped while the accelerator is also pressed--however I've been unable to reproduce this in my car. Sorry to hear that others are experiencing troubles but glad to know that we have a way to collectively find and help eliminate problems and we might even be able to push for a recall. I mean...a stalling engine kind of counter acts MB safety features like traction control and ESP--I would think it would be important to retain the safety image. I know it's off subject but have you guys also experienced the random heavy clutch? I just started to get this too. I hope they will know about this before my next service.
Old 08-07-2002, 08:06 PM
Almost a Member!

C230K Coupe
Oh, I forgot to also mention that the fuel pump was checked and is OK.
Old 08-07-2002, 08:10 PM

I don't care about the image .. I want a safe car !
Old 08-07-2002, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Haven't had it since but now I've been noticing sort of a hard start first thing in the morning. By this I mean having to hold the key in "on" for a little longer than usual
You don't have to hold the key with these cars. Once you turn it, you are supposed to let it go. The car takes over and runs the starter via the computer until the car starts.
Old 08-07-2002, 08:41 PM

C230K
Originally posted by Jim Banville

You don't have to hold the key with these cars. Once you turn it, you are supposed to let it go. The car takes over and runs the starter via the computer until the car starts.

Only for the auto - the manual is "turn and wait".
Old 08-08-2002, 01:52 AM

This happens for manuals and autos or just manuals?
Old 08-08-2002, 09:58 AM

C230 K
update

Just got my car back from the dealer last night after almost a week. They changed the gas pump gasket and another sensor. It seemed to cure the stalling problem and also the engine hesitation during a cold start. Also the engine seems easier revving, I guess the old pump plus the gas leak did not make enough pressure and the engine was hurting. Also the shifter seems smoother. Maybe the car feels better because I drove a C 240 auto for a week and the engine/gear box are staring to break in. I had the car for only 30 miles so it might be too soon to tell. I can still smell a gas odor coming from underneath the car. Hopefully it will go away soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Died on the Freeway.