C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

MP3 CD Changer for 2004 C240 (without COMAND)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C240 Sedan
MP3 CD Changer for 2004 C240 (without COMAND)

I have a 2004 C240 without COMAND. I replaced the factory installed changer with a Dension iceLink Plus in order to use my iPod with it, but it has proven to be nothing but trouble. I'll be finding out this afternoon whether the place that put it in can do a swap of the entire box, and hopefully that works, but if not, then I'm left without some sort of MP3 playback.

So, should it turn out that I need to replace the iceLink Plus with something else, is there a MP3 CD Changer for my car that will let me retain the steering wheel controls? I've searched the forum and not really found anything concrete on this (most of the posts deal with MOST busses, and I believe that I'm on a D2B bus). I'd really like to keep the steering wheel controls because I've grown rather accustomed to them.

If there aren't any compatible MP3 changers, then I guess I'd likely replace my whole headend, but I'm not looking at that yet (and hopefully I don't).

Thanks for any advice,
Joe
Old 03-07-2006, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
What was wrong with iceLink??? Cuz it should work if installed correctly.

Your alternative is aftermarket headunit or COMAND+video adapter+dvd/mp3 player
Old 03-07-2006, 06:18 PM

2004 C240 Sedan
The iceLink seems to have a habit of not being detected when I turn the car on. Sometimes I'll get the NO CDC message, other times, it actually shows a track number and acts like it is playing, but doesn't do anything. Then, if I switch to the radio and back to CD, it decides that the CD changer isn't present. The only way to fix this is to turn the car off and then on again.

On Friday night, I had a rather interesting issue where I turned on the radio to use the iceLink, and it switched over to the radio almost right away. Then, the radio would cut out every three seconds and start up again.

I paid somebody to do the installation for me, and I suppose it's possible that something happened with the fiber cable that could be causing these intermittant issues. Sometimes it works fine (and it's great when it does work), and other times I have to restart the car to get it to work.

Dension's technical supports' answer to this was (and I quote), "Try putting a new box in the car". The place that installed it did mention that this is an issue that they have come across with the Dension kit before on the Mercedes.

I'm still waiting for them to get back to me on whether we are going to replace the box or just rip it out. That will influence my decision.

Like I said, when it works, it works pretty well, and that's why I like it. I just want it to be reliable.

-- Joe
Old 03-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
do you have the latest firmware?
maybe that will fix everything.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:08 PM

2004 C240 Sedan
Yep, latest firmware, 2.07.

For the last four times I have used it, it has worked flawlessly. Every now and then, it just disappears.

We'll see what happens.

-- Joe