C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Ticking sound from the engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 CLK55
Ticking sound from the engine

Ticking sound from the engine when I stop at red lights. I just noticed this few weeks ago, I m not sure if its just tha I become more attentive to this, cus I have never really heard this sound coming from my car before. Could it be the fan or is it just normal engine sound. The reason I m worry is tha benz are normally very quiet n this should not happen IMO. Any one hav any idea??
Old 03-12-2006, 10:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Originally Posted by D_Star
Ticking sound from the engine when I stop at red lights. I just noticed this few weeks ago, I m not sure if its just tha I become more attentive to this, cus I have never really heard this sound coming from my car before. Could it be the fan or is it just normal engine sound. The reason I m worry is tha benz are normally very quiet n this should not happen IMO. Any one hav any idea??
Was it like this:

http://www.mediaonthestreet.com/bifp...ckingnoise.wmv
Old 03-12-2006, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
yeah my car does the same!
Old 03-12-2006, 08:19 PM

05 CLK55
Holyy smokeess!!! i m very thankful now cus mine is not like tha right now. Mine right now seems to be just an abnormal loud fan. comparing to tha very helpful vid, i would say mine is more like the sound in the vid but without tha loud, rapid ticking sound. the ticking in my car is more like" phuttt phuttt phuttt phuuttt phuuttt.."

i have heard people say tha air pump is a common problem on these cars. i have checked carefully in tha direction, but that didn't seem to b a problem.

i guess my case should just b a loud fan, i will probably let it run like this for a while see if it will ever get worse. or does anyone kno the solution to loud fan??
Old 03-12-2006, 08:48 PM

2002 c32
Holyy smokeess!!! i m very thankful now cus mine is not like tha right now. Mine right now seems to be just an abnormal loud fan. comparing to tha very helpful vid, i would say mine is more like the sound in the vid but without tha loud, rapid ticking sound. the ticking in my car is more like" phuttt phuttt phuttt phuuttt phuuttt.."

i have heard people say tha air pump is a common problem on these cars. i have checked carefully in tha direction, but that didn't seem to b a problem.

i guess my case should just b a loud fan, i will probably let it run like this for a while see if it will ever get worse. or does anyone kno the solution to loud fan??
The sound in the video is presumably a prototypical bad purge-valve sound. Going to have it checked next week.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:27 PM

05 CLK55
Originally Posted by Bif powell
The sound in the video is presumably a prototypical bad purge-valve sound. Going to have it checked next week.

how did the check go?? its sad that i finally realized that i have the exact same problem with the car in the vid. mine is wierd, it comes and goes. what does the purge-valve do??
Old 03-14-2006, 12:20 AM

2002 c32
how did the check go?? its sad that i finally realized that i have the exact same problem with the car in the vid. mine is wierd, it comes and goes. what does the purge-valve do??
Oh...it's like some kind of valve and it purges.

Haven't taken it in yet, had a big snow storm here today (Minnesota). If the weather clears up tommorow I might take it in.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:38 AM

05 CLK55
Originally Posted by Bif powell
Oh...it's like some kind of valve and it purges.

Haven't taken it in yet, had a big snow storm here today (Minnesota). If the weather clears up tommorow I might take it in.
LOL seems like this purge valve problem isn't the only bad thing that happen to us. just 30 mins ago, i got a blackout in the area, just got the power back now.

hope u bring back some good news~ keep me/us posted. Thanks~