C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Follow up: C230K Donuts in the Snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Black/Oyster C230K Sporté Coupe 6spd
Unhappy Follow up: C230K Donuts in the Snow

As many people had advised, I didn't bring my car up the mountain over the President's day weekend. Last weekend, however, I had made a mistake of taking it up and the trip didn't end up as pretty...

Since we took my bf's Audi up there last time, he had been complaining how much trouble it has been for him to clean his "baby" up afterwards. Therefore, this time, I had agreed to drive (I was thinking - how tough can it be AND enough with the complaining ) So, we got chains (the "Z" type, got them from Firestone - and not cheap..), snow tires, rainx, and everything, headed up to Kirkwood.

Turns out, the road condition was so bad because of the storm, all roads leading to Kirkwood were closed. We were not about to give up as we left the Bay Area around 5am, we start heading over to Sierra at 9am. Half way up to lake Tahoe, there are signs noting chain control on the road. We stopped at one of the three checkpoints, put chains on (pain in the a$$ to do on a lowered car, we had to jacked it up), and continued driving.

3 minutes later, I heard the most dreaded noise of all - one of the cables snapped and started making its own donuts on my car I stopped, and mourned over the scratches... A snow prowler stopped by and the driver was nice enough to help us cut off the broken link. Bumpped, but I still want to board so we started moving again. After another 3 minutes, I heard the same noise again coming from the other side of the car ($%#!, what are the odds)

Since we're only about an hour away, I decided to take the chains off and drive until they turn me away. Of course, as everyone could have guessed, they turned me away at the next checkpoint - 30 miles from the resort

Now, with both side scratched , I want to take this chance to get the 2005 silver trim all arouond since it will be going into a shop for a paint job Questions are:
- will they fit a 2002?
- what are the part numbers? and
- where can I get them besides the dealership?
Attached Thumbnails Follow up: C230K Donuts in the Snow-untitled-1.gif  

Last edited by sL55gIrLy; 03-13-2006 at 03:32 AM.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Jkw

2004.5 C 230
Dude, sorry about your car.
Next time rent a jeep.
Jkw
Old 03-13-2006, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is SOLD
sorry to hear what happened....as for the trim it should fit since it is the same body. you could order the parts off of steve.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by white_w203
sorry to hear what happened....as for the trim it should fit since it is the same body. you could order the parts off of steve.
I was pretty bumpped out at first. But now, I see it as an excuse to update my car Could you let me know Steve's username so I can ping him? Thanks
Old 03-13-2006, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
Originally Posted by sL55gIrLy
I was pretty bumpped out at first. But now, I see it as an excuse to update my car Could you let me know Steve's username so I can ping him? Thanks
his member id is MBENZNL. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2006, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A box on 4 wheels
Hey your not the only one, I went to Mt high on 3/11 which was reported having the most snow fall this season. I took it up and got Euro Diamond car chains (yes not cheap ethier). Half way up going to Mt high, one of the chains snapped and cut my panel infront of the tire(the one that keeps dirt and water out) and cut my oil brake tube(all the fluid leaked out). Of course I wasnt going to risk driving it with one non usable brake.. so I dialed a tow truck and damn what a horrible trip. Lesson learned, take moms ML320 next time. Did I have a hard time getting up there with chains? Nope, I tried to go on a little bit more without the chains, and I had a damn hard time. I saw a ML class right next to me, no chains but with all season tires. Made it look like he was driving in a dry desert..sigh.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cappa26
Hey your not the only one, I went to Mt high on 3/11 which was reported having the most snow fall this season. I took it up and got Euro Diamond car chains (yes not cheap ethier). Half way up going to Mt high, one of the chains snapped and cut my panel infront of the tire(the one that keeps dirt and water out) and cut my oil brake tube(all the fluid leaked out). Of course I wasnt going to risk driving it with one non usable brake.. so I dialed a tow truck and damn what a horrible trip. Lesson learned, take moms ML320 next time. Did I have a hard time getting up there with chains? Nope, I tried to go on a little bit more without the chains, and I had a damn hard time. I saw a ML class right next to me, no chains but with all season tires. Made it look like he was driving in a dry desert..sigh.
Ouch... Sorry to hear that.

The road condition was actually not that bad. Once the chains were off, I was travelling 50~60 mph (vs. 30 with chains...) with no problem at all. Officials were probably being too cautious - not that I am against it. Anyhow, it just make me wonder why snow chains are not tested more seriously before going into the market. Since the probability of breaking is so high and people have been using it for years, shouldn't there have been some improvements?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Well, stupid is as stupid does.

A lowered car no less. Does anyone realize they measure snow depth in inches for a reason? Oh well, live and learn. You can sit back and snicker the next time this topic comes up, like many of us are now. Good luck getting your ride back in order.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:56 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Outland
Well, stupid is as stupid does.

A lowered car no less. Does anyone realize they measure snow depth in inches for a reason? Oh well, live and learn. You can sit back and snicker the next time this topic comes up, like many of us are now. Good luck getting your ride back in order.

well, a girl needs to hit the mountain when she wants to Thanks though, I'm sure my car will come out of the paint booth better than it was before