C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Newly install Bi-X has finger prints on lense (wtf!!!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 C55
bagwell,

really? how did you do that? isnt it air tight?
Old 03-18-2006, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
Originally Posted by 14cue
bagwell,

really? how did you do that? isnt it air tight?
you have to heat up the seals around the lens -- its a really sticky sealant they use......then gently pry it off. If I remember correctly, it all comes apart from there....I'm sure Steve can confirm this.

Last edited by bagwell; 03-18-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by bagwell
you have to heat up the seals around the lens -- its a really sticky sealant they use......then gently pry it off. If I remember correctly, it all comes apart from there....I'm sure Steve can confirm this.
i see, sounds scray, how did you stick it back on?
Old 03-18-2006, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

heat it up a little bit again; I used a hair dryer...its not necesary to get it melting hot.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
coo, and you dont have a problem with condensation buildup or anything right now?
Old 03-19-2006, 12:35 AM

2006 MB C230, Black on Black
Both lights and installation costs need reimbursed...

Both lights need replacing for color match and the total installation cost needs to be reimbursed/repaid to you. If Steve is a stand up person he'll pay for everything you have paid to get done. So get what you paid for not a sales pitch when its a bad part or service.

Old 03-19-2006, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by SwedeMercedes
Both lights need replacing for color match and the total installation cost needs to be reimbursed/repaid to you. If Steve is a stand up person he'll pay for everything you have paid to get done. So get what you paid for not a sales pitch when its a bad part or service.

Steve is covering most of the cost. why would both lamps need to be replaced when the colour is dependant on the bulb? and since it's new they'd be virtually the same.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:35 PM

Its you money but....

Just to make sure I would NOT just replace one. You and I both have seen these bulbs shoot of different light & color hues from pure white to white with a blue hint, and they are supposedly the same bulb. So to insure a 100% matching your best move would to replace both of them.
I'd also ask him if he would reimburse you for the install as they are supposed to be "100%" non factory rejects. However you are between a rock and a hard place because you can only get what he gives you. [U]
And as you may already know, I am not a Steve fan.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
[/B] [U]
And as you may already know, I am not a Steve fan.
Feel free to keep your opinions to yourself.

Steve has a stellar reputation. I myself have purchased several parts from him. Ask anywhere on this board, he's the man to deal with.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:25 PM

2005 White C230 SS
Originally Posted by Outland
Feel free to keep your opinions to yourself.

Steve has a stellar reputation. I myself have purchased several parts from him. Ask anywhere on this board, he's the man to deal with.
Ya, I am with Outland....
Old 03-19-2006, 11:44 PM

Outland.....

Where's the $6K off MSRP this spring on 2006 C230 Sport Sedans? You seem to know-it-all.

Feel free to keep your opinions to yourself...
Old 03-20-2006, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Now why can't you take your own advice?

Erik
Old 03-20-2006, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Steve is covering most of the cost. why would both lamps need to be replaced when the colour is dependant on the bulb? and since it's new they'd be virtually the same.
New bulbs are not all the same. The color temperature varies from bulb to bulb. The factory (Philips or Osram) does offer matched pairs for those who are replacing them both at the same time. If I had a set in service for a few years and one quit, I'd replace them both. I would bet no one at the dealer level replaces as matched pairs, or even knows they exist. They get their bulbs from the factory, rather than a lamp distributor like an auto parts store would.

Now the question is are you pleased with the color match of the lamps on your car at this time? Chances are they were not a matched set of lamps, just random selection by the Automotive Lighting. A new assembly should match fine for you. I would not be concerned about that. Worry is just interest on problems you don't have.

The idea to soften the mastic holding the front cover on the lamp and removing it is clever. I tried it with a fog light on my Porsche. A month later the lens dropped off, and I drove over it. I discovered the mastic on those Hella lamps was a "one time use" material, and although it appeared solid, it was just waiting on gravity.

I have halogen lamps on my car, and it appears that there is a vent on the assembly to allow air out as the lamps heat up so the expansion of the heated air does not pop the front cover off. This also allows moisture in the air to be expelled. I would imagine the xenon assembly has a similar vent, so the assembly is not sealed.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by Moviela
New bulbs are not all the same. The color temperature varies from bulb to bulb. The factory (Philips or Osram) does offer matched pairs for those who are replacing them both at the same time. If I had a set in service for a few years and one quit, I'd replace them both. I would bet no one at the dealer level replaces as matched pairs, or even knows they exist. They get their bulbs from the factory, rather than a lamp distributor like an auto parts store would.

Now the question is are you pleased with the color match of the lamps on your car at this time? Chances are they were not a matched set of lamps, just random selection by the Automotive Lighting. A new assembly should match fine for you. I would not be concerned about that. Worry is just interest on problems you don't have.

The idea to soften the mastic holding the front cover on the lamp and removing it is clever. I tried it with a fog light on my Porsche. A month later the lens dropped off, and I drove over it. I discovered the mastic on those Hella lamps was a "one time use" material, and although it appeared solid, it was just waiting on gravity.

I have halogen lamps on my car, and it appears that there is a vent on the assembly to allow air out as the lamps heat up so the expansion of the heated air does not pop the front cover off. This also allows moisture in the air to be expelled. I would imagine the xenon assembly has a similar vent, so the assembly is not sealed.
thanks for the advice and facts. i WOULD NOT take the cover off to clean it, if i was to i wouldnt do it myself and at this point i cant afford to do it.

Steve has already decided he would ship me a new headlamp and i can get it installed for free now so i'll go ahead and do that.

I will likely keep my current bulb (the one thats in the defected lamp) and swap it with the new one that comes. as far as i can tell they're both the same colour but only drivers ahead of me can truely tell.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
On another note, MB has f$%#ed me again!
I got my rear brakes replaced on Friday due to excessive noise from the rear brakes. I was washing my car the other day and noticed they scratched up my rim! when they were taking off the screws they obviously were not carefully and took off the clear coat and chipped parts of the surrounding around the bolts.

I'm obviously calling and *****ing today.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Where's the $6K off MSRP this spring on 2006 C230 Sport Sedans? You seem to know-it-all.

Today is the first official day of spring. Feel free to check your calendar.

Have a nice day.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Originally Posted by Outland
Today is the first official day of spring. Feel free to check your calendar.

Have a nice day.
I did check my calendar, because you sure as hell can't tell by the weather, it is so cold. Today at about 11 am PST the sun crossed the equator, so it is now spring.

I think on the right day, with the right sales manager (not salesman) a 6K discount might happen. These SoCal dealers are so competitive.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by Moviela
I did check my calendar, because you sure as hell can't tell by the weather, it is so cold. Today at about 11 am PST the sun crossed the equator, so it is now spring.

I think on the right day, with the right sales manager (not salesman) a 6K discount might happen. These SoCal dealers are so competitive.
The 6K off was real...although, obviously, that time has yet to arrive yet this year. And my little Swedey got himself banned. So, yeah, Hell may have froze over.

Its pretty cold here too.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:42 PM

06 C230
I guess it juste depends on your dealer, or maybe some would call it karma or luck. I bought a set of Bi's here of another forum poster, and when Sunil did the install we found that one was burned out, and in fact all the wiring was burned and melted as well (didn't know this at the time, just thought it was a bad bulb). MB-Bob was there at the install and he had the old style lights, and liked the 2006 normal lights so I gave them to him. Well later I found that the right bi-xenon that I had bought was totaly bad, and MB-Bob was trying to get me to take the old lights back from him. I told him that they were a gift from me and that They were his now.
Anyway to make a long story short, Sunil was going to get the parts to fix my light for me, but it was time for my B-Service so I was just going to get it fixed by the dealer when I took my car in for it's B-service. Well when I took it in I dold the dealership I was there for my B-service and that I needed to get my Front light fixed and to give me the price before they replaced it. They called me about 2 hours later and said my car was fixed and that the light was no charge because it was under warranty. Needless to say, I was very happy.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by SuperQ
I guess it juste depends on your dealer, or maybe some would call it karma or luck. I bought a set of Bi's here of another forum poster, and when Sunil did the install we found that one was burned out, and in fact all the wiring was burned and melted as well (didn't know this at the time, just thought it was a bad bulb). MB-Bob was there at the install and he had the old style lights, and liked the 2006 normal lights so I gave them to him. Well later I found that the right bi-xenon that I had bought was totaly bad, and MB-Bob was trying to get me to take the old lights back from him. I told him that they were a gift from me and that They were his now.
Anyway to make a long story short, Sunil was going to get the parts to fix my light for me, but it was time for my B-Service so I was just going to get it fixed by the dealer when I took my car in for it's B-service. Well when I took it in I dold the dealership I was there for my B-service and that I needed to get my Front light fixed and to give me the price before they replaced it. They called me about 2 hours later and said my car was fixed and that the light was no charge because it was under warranty. Needless to say, I was very happy.
Q! What's up? How do you like the lights and the NAV? Both of them worth it, right? Just wanted to post, cuz I hadn't seen you on here that often lately.

drex
Old 03-21-2006, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Q,

so they fixed your bix? or your head lamp?
Old 03-21-2006, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

coo, and you dont have a problem with condensation buildup or anything right now?
car is sold now but I never had another problem with it.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:39 PM

06 C230
Hey drex! I am good, I stop in from time to time, just been buisy with work and school. I love the headlights, and the nav. Sunil did a great job, and the TV tuner is the icing on the cake. Nothing like being able to watch March madness while driving around in your car!!!!

As for the dealership, the replaced the whole right side light, the outside part, bi-xenon part, and all the mechancs inside. I know this because the original one I had had some scratches on the outside part of the headlight, and when I look now, it'c crystal clear and brand new (plus the service tech told me they replaced everything on the right side light)

p.s. My next mod is going to be that digital climate control it looks sweet. Just waiting for Sunil to get a chance to come back to dallas. Think I am going to get some new rims too, I want some 19" HRE's thinking of some black ones maybe.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
p.s. My next mod is going to be that digital climate control it looks sweet. Just waiting for Sunil to get a chance to come back to dallas. Think I am going to get some new rims too, I want some 19" HRE's thinking of some black ones maybe.
Nice...digi-climate control

HRE's?...Nice, definitely nice, but make sure you're not paying "full" price for them. I'm sure even some of the sponsors could hook up a good price for you.

ps...sorry for jacking your thread, 14cue.

Back to the subject at hand, BI-X is always a good thing to upgrade to!
Old 03-21-2006, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
hehe, no worries Drex!
all good.

i'm going to start a new thread tomorrow or wheni have time. i've had it with MB service, they messed up my rims when taking off the wheel, pictures to follow...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newly install Bi-X has finger prints on lense (wtf!!!)