C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Newly install Bi-X has finger prints on lense (wtf!!!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 C55
Angry Newly install Bi-X has finger prints on lense (wtf!!!)

So I finally have my retrofitted bix installed and programmed. I was taking pics to show peeps here when i noticed finger prints on the lens! As you can all imagine I'm pissed!

I asked Steve and he said I shouldnt touch it (rightfully so). BUt I cant help but be **** about this, this really hurts and yes I have lost sleep over it!

How could the manufacture miss this? Has anyone else have this problem before? I swear I have terrible luck.

It is really noticeable when the lights are turned on, these pictures show the damage very well...I wanna puch the nasty F#$% that did this.
Attached Thumbnails Newly install Bi-X has finger prints on lense (wtf!!!)-f_print1.jpg   Newly install Bi-X has finger prints on lense (wtf!!!)-f_print2.jpg   Newly install Bi-X has finger prints on lense (wtf!!!)-f_print3.jpg  

Last edited by 14cue; 03-17-2006 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
You are not having luck with these lights. Maybe it's time to go back to the stock setup

Erik
Old 03-17-2006, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by tifosiv122
You are not having luck with these lights. Maybe it's time to go back to the stock setup

Erik
i know eh? never! i love these still, even tho they're dirty. does that look like it could be on the inside of the lens? cuz if it is i think i can clean it by taking out the xenon bulb. but it doesnt look like thats the case.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
That sucks. I could deal with scratches or chips before fingerprints. Those are obnoxious. There's nothing you can do about it?

I know he sells slightly imperfect lights but thats a biggie to me

Last edited by NY C32; 03-17-2006 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:40 AM

I dont blame you, that would bother me as well. I hope you can clean them off, good luck.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by NY C32
That sucks. I could deal with scratches or chips before fingerprints. Those are obnoxious. There's nothing you can do about it?

Nah, it's not Steve's fault at all, i dont blame him, it's a factory defect. Just bad luck on my part, i thought i'd share it w/ you guys. I dont think there is anything i can do, it's sealed shut. Not a good idea to mess with it. I wouldnt replace it either, hassel and money. Tough out of luck.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
/////AMG
Lol... Finger prints are the most annoying things in the world on a car. Sorry to hear about your situation.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:13 AM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
If I were you, I would request a different set of headlights or at least the side with the finger prints. Small scratches or nicks here and there is fine, but fingerprints on the inside of the projector lens is just unacceptable even if it's a factory imperfection.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
The good thing is its a fingerprint so you should be able to find out exactly which factory worker screwed up

Erik
Old 03-17-2006, 03:45 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by NY C32
The lights we currently sell are no longer factory rejects - his lights are no factory rejects either...we do tell people that possible minr flaws might be there as we know how packages get treatet during transit, that however does not mean that the lights ought to come with fingerprints on the inside of the lens.

The pictures show the fingerprints extremely obvious - as with all other minor flaws on lenses these prints are probably a loss less vissible in real life and/or when the picture is taken slightly different as I myself had not noticed it (as I would have taken the lens off to clean it before selling it).

Knowing how much problems terrence already had getting the lights installed, I can only advice him NOT to take the light apart (after it has been removed from the car) to clean the inside of the lens!

greetingz,
Old 03-17-2006, 06:41 AM

BLACK 05 C230SS
Originally Posted by 14cue
i know eh? never! i love these still, even tho they're dirty. does that look like it could be on the inside of the lens? cuz if it is i think i can clean it by taking out the xenon bulb. but it doesnt look like thats the case.
How much was the install and did the dealer charge you for the programming?
Old 03-17-2006, 12:15 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
Who did you buy them from??? Won't they replace the bad one??? I would be pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can understand that you might be out the labor cost to swap them out, but it would be worth it to me!
Old 03-17-2006, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by razorfish228
How much was the install and did the dealer charge you for the programming?

The install was $280! Charged for 2.5 hours + shop tools and tax. And yes, i was finally able to beg a dealship to program it for me at a cost of course, another $100!
Old 03-17-2006, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by SteveL1
Who did you buy them from??? Won't they replace the bad one??? I would be pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can understand that you might be out the labor cost to swap them out, but it would be worth it to me!
I bought it off Steve. I really cannot afford it right now, i mean i would have to pay to ship it back to him to swap (if he agrees to even do it). then i would not only pay for the labor to take off but put back on, and also, while i have it off i have to swap my old ones back and get it reporgammed doubtful MB will do it. the only way i might ocnsider this is if i can get steve to send it to me first then i swap the current for the new, then send him back the old one. Even that will be a pain.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by MBenzNL
The lights we currently sell are no longer factory rejects - his lights are no factory rejects either...we do tell people that possible minr flaws might be there as we know how packages get treatet during transit, that however does not mean that the lights ought to come with fingerprints on the inside of the lens.

The pictures show the fingerprints extremely obvious - as with all other minor flaws on lenses these prints are probably a loss less vissible in real life and/or when the picture is taken slightly different as I myself had not noticed it (as I would have taken the lens off to clean it before selling it).

Knowing how much problems terrence already had getting the lights installed, I can only advice him NOT to take the light apart (after it has been removed from the car) to clean the inside of the lens!

greetingz,

Steve,

can you tell if its from the inside of the lens (where the Xenon bulb is or on the outside? I cant! :P
Old 03-17-2006, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by tifosiv122
The good thing is its a fingerprint so you should be able to find out exactly which factory worker screwed up

Erik
haha! yeah, i'll be doing some CSI shiet on this for sure if i can get my hands in there.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:53 PM

02' C230k Sport Coupe
buy a pair from mb then repack the other ones and tell them that you changed ur mind, then get ur money back* ...lololololololol
or graciously tap that part with a hammer and call your insurance*.... (Y)uahahahaha

....disclaimer: * not an actual advise

Last edited by fanito; 03-17-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by fanito
buy a pair from mb then repack the other ones and tell them that you changed ur mind, then get ur money back* ...lololololololol
or graciously tap that part with a hammer and call your insurance*.... (Y)uahahahaha

....disclaimer: * not an actual advise

I hope you dont go into law.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The fingerprints are on the face of the projection lens of the xenon lamp. This is in the sealed portion of the assembly. No one outside the factory could have put those prints there. Not Steve, not the installer, not the dealer.

I concur with Steves advice not to attempt removing the prints. I would not hesitate to field strip a million dollar camera lens to remove an interior print or dust, but I would not touch that lamp assembly. Things would go from bad to worse.

In California you would have a warranty claim against the manufacturer (Automotive Lighting) and Mercedes-Benz. You would have a claim because the lamps from the factory do not conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108. Debris in the light beam can cause refraction (bending of the rays) that is distracting to other motorists. Germany and the US require a headlight washer system for that reason.

If Canada has a similar warranty of fitness for purpose law, and/or follows US FMVSS108, you might politely ask your dealer to replace the assembly under warranty, labor on your tab. I assume the assembly has an Automotive Lighting and MB Star trademark on the housing.

If the dealer is no help, I'd appeal to MB Canada for relief. I understand if you are patient, persistent, and polite they will take care of a manufacturing defect.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:16 AM

02' C230k Sport Coupe
Originally Posted by benzmodz

I hope you dont go into law.
lol, I was joking, now, jokes aside that IS a manufactures’ defect.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by Moviela
The fingerprints are on the face of the projection lens of the xenon lamp. This is in the sealed portion of the assembly. No one outside the factory could have put those prints there. Not Steve, not the installer, not the dealer.

I concur with Steves advice not to attempt removing the prints. I would not hesitate to field strip a million dollar camera lens to remove an interior print or dust, but I would not touch that lamp assembly. Things would go from bad to worse.

In California you would have a warranty claim against the manufacturer (Automotive Lighting) and Mercedes-Benz. You would have a claim because the lamps from the factory do not conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108. Debris in the light beam can cause refraction (bending of the rays) that is distracting to other motorists. Germany and the US require a headlight washer system for that reason.

If Canada has a similar warranty of fitness for purpose law, and/or follows US FMVSS108, you might politely ask your dealer to replace the assembly under warranty, labor on your tab. I assume the assembly has an Automotive Lighting and MB Star trademark on the housing.

If the dealer is no help, I'd appeal to MB Canada for relief. I understand if you are patient, persistent, and polite they will take care of a manufacturing defect.

Evn though it's after market you think they will assist me?
i will call my dealer and see what i can do. i will be patient as long as it's all paid for my MB. i'll let you all know how it goes. it's still eating me alive inside, i know i'm bigger than this but damn it really stinks!
Old 03-18-2006, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Whoa, don't let a product defect affect your sleeping. That is not going to yield a solution to the problem. Take a walk on the south shore of False Creek and relax. Does it for me!

A warranty of fitness for a specific purpose is an obligation of the manufacturer, and does not matter how you got ahold of the product. Many companies add expressed warranties, but they are not required to do that. They usually offer it as a competitive measure, and to limit their liability to a fixed term. Some companies only extend expressed warranties if you purchase through a specific vendor, like a dealer. That is their attempt to stop gray market products. It does not relieve the manufacturer from their duty to correct defects from the factory.

As I see it, you should have the assembly replaced across the counter, but installation is your responsibility. Neither Mercedes-Benz or the dealer installed the lights, so I don't see how they would bear a burden for labor.

Last edited by Moviela; 03-18-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
I talked to Steve, MB wont do anything about it, i would just be wasting more of my time. Steve has been so helpful thoughout this ordeal and to no ones surprise he is still helping me out!!! He said he will send me a replacement light first then i would swap it out and send him back the defected light. i need to figure out the install then i will go ahead and do what i have to do to get this fixed. it'll be a process and possibily more headache but i NEED this done.

Moviela,

i'll try that, thanks for the advice. i wish i was as calm and collected as you are. :P
Old 03-18-2006, 04:37 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
I'm glad to see that Steve is trying to help out. Speaks volumes for his reputation. I would think you could find an MB fanatic like yourself to help swap it out so you don't have to go back to the dealer and incure more costs. Good luck!!!!
Old 03-18-2006, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
uh I actually took one of my BIX apart to clean the inside of the whole thing with rubbing alcohol...got it apart and back together no problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newly install Bi-X has finger prints on lense (wtf!!!)