C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Homelink problems...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homelink problems...

Hey guys, before you guys tell me that i should do a search...let me warn u guys that i've already searched the forums, and there's nothing conclusive about my doubts...that consists in the following:

I am from europe, and i just bought from johncl (USA) his "old" rearview mirror with homelink (great doin business with u ) ...and i'm having some problems with my homelink.
I already went to www.homelink.com and i'm still at the same... so here's the thing:
1- Homelink.com tells me to pust the outside buttons (1 and 3) for a while until it starts flashing rapidly ... doing this should result in clearing the memory.

Now here comes the doubts...

2-Then homelink.com tells me to press the two buttons (rearview and my transmitter) at the same time until it flashes slowly, then rapidly...
and here starts the pain...it never fllashes rapidly, it always flashes slowly.

So, by steps:
In the first step (when i resetted the memorys) if i stop pressing the buttons when the diode starts flashing rapidly...happens this:
when i press the button on rearmirror (to program) the diode starts immediately flashing slowly...and always flashes slowly.

In the other hand:
In the first step (when i resetted the memorys) if i DONT stop pressing the buttons when the diode starts flashing rapidly (i wait for them to simply stop to flash)... then when i try to program it... first the diode is on, after 15/20secs the diode starts flashing slowly...but it never flashes rapidly.

So... i'm thinking, does the fact that i'm in Europe, and the rearmirror is from america have anything to do it with it? i ask this because...they're ways to see (by the number of flashes) the HardWare revision of the rearview mirror and the location of the rearview... does this have anything to do with it?

After all...which step is the correct on erasing the programs?
stop pressing buttons when the quick flashes appear? or... only stop pressing the buttons after the quick flashes...and when the diode turns off?

... any help would be nice, thanks guys..

Oh and... what's a rolling code? :\
Old 03-26-2006, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by flave
Oh and... what's a rolling code? :\
A continually changing code based on some algorithm (sp?).
Old 03-26-2006, 02:47 PM

hmm... im not sure if my gate has a rolling code...gotta call the manufacturer to know more info about it.
...at least one of my doubts already ended, i now know that the immediate flashing (when i try to program) it's normal... since it's the first time being programmed.

i've tried 20 times... different positions... but that diode never starts flashing rapidly
Old 03-26-2006, 03:31 PM

2013 c300 4matic, 2002 c240
i have not gotten my homelink to work either. i have rolling code. it is annoying but homelink does not support ALL, just most gate/garage openers.

BTW if you have rolling code, usually there is a 'learning' button on the device that open the gate/garage. You would need two ppl for sync process to occur with your opener and homelink. One person to press the 'learning' button (just a press, don't hold), the other person to press the homelink button. NOTE: for most rolling code openers, if the 'learning' button is pressed too long (>6 secs), all devices coded would be erased and need to be re-taught.

FYI: here is a homelink compatiblity link for europe:http://www.eurohomelink.com/_uk/compatibility.html

Last edited by pookie; 03-26-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:57 PM

2004 C240 Sedan
Another possibility is what the manual calls "Canadian programming" (I kid you not!) of learning. (Pretty cool, since it worked for me, and I'm Canadian living in the U.S.! )

Anyway, the gate control for my apartment complex wouldn't work using the standard method (holding down the remote button while holding the Homelink buttons), so I used that method (detailed on page 260 of the C240/320/55AMG manual).

Basically, instead of holding down the button on your remote, try pressing it for two seconds, releasing it, pressing it for two seconds, etc. With any luck, it will learn that way.

-- Joe
Old 03-26-2006, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Originally Posted by JoeVulture
Another possibility is what the manual calls "Canadian programming" (I kid you not!) of learning. (Pretty cool, since it worked for me, and I'm Canadian living in the U.S.! )

Anyway, the gate control for my apartment complex wouldn't work using the standard method (holding down the remote button while holding the Homelink buttons), so I used that method (detailed on page 260 of the C240/320/55AMG manual).

Basically, instead of holding down the button on your remote, try pressing it for two seconds, releasing it, pressing it for two seconds, etc. With any luck, it will learn that way.

-- Joe
I live in the US and that is the ONLY method that worked on my Chamberlain model garage door opener - the instructions for the supposed "canadian" model openers.

SEE THE FOLLOWING:
Training in Canada
If programming a garage door opener or gate, it is advised to unplug the device during the "cycling" process to prevent possible motor burn-up.

During programming, your hand-held transmitter may automatically stop transmitting. Continue to press and hold the desired HomeLink button while you press and re-press (“cycle”) your hand-held transmitter every two seconds until the frequency signal has been learned. The indicator light will flash slowly and then rapidly after several seconds upon successful training. If necessary, follow steps 5-7 to complete the training for a rolling code device.

Retain the original transmitter of the RF device you are training for use in other vehicles as well as for future HomeLink training. It is also suggested that upon the sale of the vehicle, the trained HomeLink buttons be erased for security purposes. Refer to step 1 only.

1.For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)2.Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your visor ) keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.

3.Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. During programming, your hand-held transmitter may automatically stop transmitting. Continue to press and hold the desired HomeLink button while you press and re-press (“cycle”) your hand-held transmitter every two seconds until the frequency signal has been learned. The indicator light will flash slowly and then rapidly after several seconds upon successful training. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)

4.Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.
  • If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
  • If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.
5.At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button reference the garage door opener’s manual or contact us.6.Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.7.Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.
HomeLink should now activate your device.

LINK <------------from www.homelink.com

Last edited by StapleGun; 03-26-2006 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by StapleGun
I live in the US and that is the ONLY method that worked on my Chamberlain model garage door opener - the instructions for the supposed "canadian" model openers.

SEE THE FOLLOWING:
Training in Canada
If programming a garage door opener or gate, it is advised to unplug the device during the "cycling" process to prevent possible motor burn-up.

During programming, your hand-held transmitter may automatically stop transmitting. Continue to press and hold the desired HomeLink button while you press and re-press (“cycle”) your hand-held transmitter every two seconds until the frequency signal has been learned. The indicator light will flash slowly and then rapidly after several seconds upon successful training. If necessary, follow steps 5-7 to complete the training for a rolling code device.

Retain the original transmitter of the RF device you are training for use in other vehicles as well as for future HomeLink training. It is also suggested that upon the sale of the vehicle, the trained HomeLink buttons be erased for security purposes. Refer to step 1 only.

1.For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)2.Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your visor ) keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.

3.Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. During programming, your hand-held transmitter may automatically stop transmitting. Continue to press and hold the desired HomeLink button while you press and re-press (“cycle”) your hand-held transmitter every two seconds until the frequency signal has been learned. The indicator light will flash slowly and then rapidly after several seconds upon successful training. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)

4.Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.
  • If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
  • If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.
5.At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button reference the garage door opener’s manual or contact us.6.Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.7.Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.
HomeLink should now activate your device.

LINK <------------from www.homelink.com
wtf. this worked. so much for a US model being programmed the US way...

Regardless though, Thank you!
Old 03-27-2006, 06:47 AM

lol!

i'm glad my thread worked out for someone...
but i'm at the same point
even with the canadian way i can't get it to program my diode always flashes slowly...
Old 03-27-2006, 07:37 AM

if i understood correctly... even if my openers had a "rolling-code" i would always be able to program my transmitter in the rearview mirror, right?
but i can't even do that...
already tried with 3 different brands of transmitters... :\
Old 03-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
if i understood correctly... even if my openers had a "rolling-code" i would always be able to program my transmitter in the rearview mirror, right?
If your garage door has a rolling code, you can program the homelink without using a transmitter. You have to program the opener to accept the code from the homelink. You do this by using a "learn" type button on the opener.

I have a Genie Garage Door opener and have been able to program the homelink to work on both Mercedes, as well as some other model cars. You need to follow the directions of the Door Opener to do this.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C230 SS
if all else fails, tell the dealer to do it...
Old 03-27-2006, 08:54 PM

well, i always thought the only way to get homelink to work with rolling code would be to press the 'learn' button on the garage opener then your homelink button to sync, but that was not the case.

Instead, i had to use the garage transmitter first to sync with homelink then press the 'learn' button on the garage opener and homelink button. good ole' canadian way...

before rolling code, all you had to do was press your garage transmitter and homelink button. things got a little more complicated :\
Old 03-29-2006, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
Europe and US mirrors I think are different, at least the frequencys used are different...

Steve is the one to give a correct answer
Old 03-29-2006, 02:52 PM

i think they're universal...