C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Trunk audio install done - Spare Tire?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2006 | 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C320 -Sports package - black / black
Question Trunk audio install done - Spare Tire?

For X-Mas my girl friend 'Heather' gave me subs and an amp (shes so nice ). Well their was one catch, the amp was in testing and production phases, and wasn’t released to me until earlier today (one of the first ones). I’m a friend of one of the pioneers of the company. I’ve had to stare at the sub boxes for months , until now.

Anyways I searched the form and found out all the info required to install the subs (thanks! ). It turned out great and sounds awesome, defiantly worth the wait! For now I just have the amp secured down to the carpet, and a temporary box that they let me borrow, but I wanted to do a custom box and amp mount. What do you guys with custom trunks do about your spare tire? Is it still accessible?

I’m also open to any suggestions about the enclosure and amp mounting. I have a couple of things in mind, and have seen some great ones on this form. I just want to do something mild, since I’m at the end of the budget. Thanks, Evan

amp: TruTechnology Billet 2110
subs: Image Dynamics IDQ V.2 D4 12'
Old 04-03-2006 | 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
Is that the new Tru Tech?? I wonder why they drop all their line and only have 2 lines now. Nice subs choice. As for the amp mounting, i prefer to be discreet, as i have two reasonably medium size amp (think Tru Hammer), i put them on the spare wheel well.
The reasons i put them there are, 1) My rear seat are not foldable so bolting them behind the seat will be un convenient when it comes to tuning, 2) As i use 19 inch so i don't see the need for spare wheels. If u decide to put them there, all the wiring will be hidden which is a good thing. Nice location for the gain controller, i put mine on the glove box as i don't want to drill any hole on my trim .
Old 04-03-2006 | 12:24 PM

2005 C320 -Sports package - black / black
Originally Posted by W0n6_3d4n
Is that the new Tru Tech?? I wonder why they drop all their line and only have 2 lines now. Nice subs choice. As for the amp mounting, i prefer to be discreet, as i have two reasonably medium size amp (think Tru Hammer), i put them on the spare wheel well.
The reasons i put them there are, 1) My rear seat are not foldable so bolting them behind the seat will be un convenient when it comes to tuning, 2) As i use 19 inch so i don't see the need for spare wheels. If u decide to put them there, all the wiring will be hidden which is a good thing. Nice location for the gain controller, i put mine on the glove box as i don't want to drill any hole on my trim .
The HAMMER...that thing is huge... So if you have 19's, you can't use the stock full size spare?
Old 04-03-2006 | 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is SOLD
anything is possible with a custom trunk. i took my spare tire for weight. otherwise my amp rack is flush with the floor and i have my custom box ported shooting into the cabin. if i were to go on a long drive i would probably put the spare tire in the rear seat. otherwise, i would rely on 1-800 mercedes roadside or friends. my car isn't a daily driver anyway.

here's a pic
Old 04-03-2006 | 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
Yeah i agree, with custom trunk you can basically put your amp wherever your imagination is. Spare tires are overrated and over weight . It'll depends on your need though, i still need to cary stuff sometimes, so putting the amp out of harm way is a neccesity.
Old 04-04-2006 | 05:02 AM

2005 C200K
Installation looks good, nice, neat & simple.

One question.

I am looking at getting my components this week sometime.

- Amp
- Sub
- Splits

I don't want to change my headunit, what is the best way to install it? Usually with my other cars I just went from the RCA's in the aftermarket headunit. I love my steering controls and the Merc factory headunit looks good.

Do I just get one of them audio signal converters/jacks and find the standard sub wiring and splice into that then go to amp?

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2006 | 05:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
Yes you have to get that LLC, most likely the 4ch, assuming u only want to have front speaker and sub only . I actually use one for my E class (2ch), just to get a signal for the sub. Splicing is one way. There is actually another option by converting your standard HU to have an RCA. I've seen one done for the new CLK (in perth), and he also modified the internal of the HU to make it process sound better.
Old 04-04-2006 | 06:52 AM

2005 C200K
.....another option by converting your standard HU to have an RCA. I've seen one done for the new CLK (in perth), and he also modified the internal of the HU to make it process sound better.
That sounds quite difficult... splicing it is! lol
Old 04-05-2006 | 10:07 AM

2002 C240
Okay, I just had to register now! I have been reading and ENJOYING this forum for some time now. I think everyone has class and some damn nice cars! OK, enough schmoozing. I have only had my Benz shy of 4 months. The first thing I had to do was put a stereo in it. I am somewhat of an audiophile. I used to compete (locally) and all that. Anyway, I have been searching and posting in other forums for info on my stock system. Found some good stuff and not much else.

Before I get too far off topic, I wanted to share some information to this thread. As far as LLC's and keeping your stock HU, I found a product from JL Audio that I intend to use in my design. It is called a CleanSweep CL441. It gives you RCA outs and much, much more. And, it does not cost much more than a good aftermarket HU (for you Eagle203). I intend on going with a 2 amp design with 2-10" subs in the trunk. Still not sure how I will install them but, I am currently building a false floor to put the amps and wires in (for you Belle). BTW, I love your car! White_W203, I like how clean yours looks. How much of that sub enclosure is air space? How did you do your floor?

I am more than happy and willing to discuss this further as I hope to gain more knowledge. I am also interested in how everyone else has done their install as well.

Thanks for listening!
Old 04-05-2006 | 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
The stock Mercedes HU is pretty decent, it's the speaker that are lacking. Getting the JL cleansweep will be the best option as far as keeping the wheel control goes.
Old 04-05-2006 | 12:41 PM

2002 C240
The stock Mercedes HU is pretty decent, it's the speaker that are lacking. Getting the JL cleansweep will be the best option as far as keeping the wheel control goes.
Not to mention it will not look right with an aftermarket in my dash. In some of the older models an Alpine looks rather nice sitting there.

Here is a question that was brought up to me you might be able to help with. Does the sock HU have adequate frequency response compared to an aftermarket? Does that make sense? Mostly low end audio information.
Old 04-05-2006 | 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
When i took off my standard HU (Audio10), the frequency response of that particular HU is from 50Hz to 20Khz (it says so in the body). Now, ideally you want a HU that can process sound below 50Hz, my Denon HU is able to process sound from 5Hz to 20Khz.
In regard to JL CleanSweep, does it act as a processor unit?? Thus making the stock HU only as a CD transport??
Old 04-06-2006 | 09:29 AM

2002 C240
When i took off my standard HU (Audio10), the frequency response of that particular HU is from 50Hz to 20Khz (it says so in the body). Now, ideally you want a HU that can process sound below 50Hz, my Denon HU is able to process sound from 5Hz to 20Khz.
In regard to JL CleanSweep, does it act as a processor unit?? Thus making the stock HU only as a CD transport??
Hey, good info! That is what I meant and what I was looking for. I definitely want it to play lower than 50Hz! Hell, I want to cross my subs over at around 45-50! This could be a problem now that I think about it. I only have the Bose casssette system in my car, no CD. Do you think that will make a difference in frequency response even more? BTW, I went with XM satellite in lieu of CD for now. The CleanSweep has an aux. input, I may add an iPod or MP3 player in the future.

Yes, the CleenSweep is a processor! It corrects the volume-dependent equalization effects, like when you turn it up, the system lowers the bass output. It uses a 32-bit processor to automatically equalize 4 channels with 30 bands of equalization, among other things. It even sends 8v output to your aftermarket amps. If you would like, I could send you a pdf of the brochure or just check out their website.

How does your Denon look in your dash? I cannot picture an Alpine (my go-to brand) in my dash (see attached picture). Could you send me a picture of your dash? That might help me decide what to do. Also, are your subs behind the back seats?

Thanks very much for your input!
Attached Thumbnails Trunk audio install done - Spare Tire?-240-dash.jpg  
Old 04-06-2006 | 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Originally Posted by Belle the Benz
What do you guys with custom trunks do about your spare tire? Is it still accessible?

3 letters:

AAA
Old 04-06-2006 | 05:35 PM

2002 C240
Well W0n6_3d4n, I may have made my decision based on research today. I am going with a new deck. The new Alpine's play down to 5Hz and the stock M-B deck only plays to 50+/- like you said. I spoke to a guy who gave me a part No. for a fascia trip piece to make the install look factory. Still thinking about everything, though.
Old 04-06-2006 | 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
Here's my Denon in my C, the fascia was originally designed for Pionner P1R. The Denon's face is quite thick, so it's a little out when view from the side.
Attached Thumbnails Trunk audio install done - Spare Tire?-resize-imgp0022.jpg   Trunk audio install done - Spare Tire?-resize-imgp0023.jpg   Trunk audio install done - Spare Tire?-hu1.jpg  
Old 04-06-2006 | 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
This is my sub, it's in a bazooka style enclosure, corner loaded to maximise cabin gain and reducing wave cancellation. It's also strap to the boot floor, it will not move with any driving style . For quick release i incorporated canon style jack, very handy and tough and just look classier .
Attached Thumbnails Trunk audio install done - Spare Tire?-re-exposure-imgp0009.jpg   Trunk audio install done - Spare Tire?-re-exposure-imgp0014.jpg  
Old 04-06-2006 | 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
Well i couldn't stand listening to most MP3 recording, i believe cassete is in the same 'frequency' with MP3 recording. CD is the way to go, more dynamic and richer.
Old 04-07-2006 | 09:43 AM

2002 C240
Well i couldn't stand listening to most MP3 recording, i believe cassete is in the same 'frequency' with MP3 recording. CD is the way to go, more dynamic and richer.
I tend to agree with that statement. I believe the .wma files sound a bit better if you go that route. My new HU will be able to play all that is out there. I'll make sure.

I like the look of your HU. I think it looks good because the color matches with your trim. With the wood on mine, an aftermarket may not look as good. I don't think I have much choice if I want to keep the hi-fidelity aspect of my system. Which matters to me but not everyone.

That is a good call on your subs. I am a BIG fan of corner loading and I am somewhat upset I will not be able to pull it off with my current plans. The system in my daily driver has a box (factory made) with 2 - 10's in it and I put it in the corner of my trunk. It looks like hell but sounds VERY good! Is your tube "powered" or do you have a seperate amp to it? My back seats do not fold down so I will build a box to fit behind them and fire them towards the tail lights. The stock sub is in the rear deck. If I remove it, it should provide an opening to the cabin. (see attached pictures)

Now, did you replace your door speakers? How was it replacing all the wires? Or do you have a cool trick to avoid all that?

Thanks for the inspiration!
Attached Thumbnails Trunk audio install done - Spare Tire?-copy-7_subwoofer.jpg   Trunk audio install done - Spare Tire?-copy-8_sub-grill.jpg  
Old 04-07-2006 | 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
My sub is powered externally by Tru Hammer H-1, and yes i remove the stock sub in the rear deck, to provide some opening to the cabin, just like u said . I replaced the door speaker with Dyn 7 inch, there's no trick with the wire, it just a matter of running and replacing it with a thicker wire (16-14ga), assuming you will add aftermarket amplifier. Our car is a very pleasant car to work with, it's very neat and everything come off nicely. Always happy to share
Old 04-07-2006 | 12:38 PM

2002 C240
Oh, so you ripped out the old wire and replaced it with a larger gauge? I am a little scared to do all that. You say it is pleasant, I say I feel like I am venturing into the abyss!

How are those 7's?! I am envious! Did you have a problem with fitting them in? I am going with a brand called a/d/s. Are you familiar with them? I am a HUGE fan, have had it in all my systems (amps, processors and speakers). If I were to upgrade, it would be to Dynaudio, Focal or maybe Image Dynamics. I don't think I would like MB Quart. I am too used to my soft domes! Did you replace your rear door speakers? I like this sharing! Thanks W0n6_3d4n!

P.S. What happened to Belle?
Old 04-07-2006 | 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
His thread has been hijacked . Well, Dyn are notoroiusly hard speaker to work with, it's basically a home audio speaker and will require a proper door deadening technique, such as sealing the service hole with mdf or foam alike. I have to make MDF spacer for them, they just fit, the depth is good but the diameter that's critical. After proper deadening, the dyn really shine and combine with good power it's hard to beat.
I heard lots of good things with a/d/s, they sounds somewhat similar to Dyn, if i remember correctly, the older orion HCCA splits (bi amp xover) used a/d/s speaker, i listen to the 5 inch version, the mid is just awesome, very2 powerful. I love my soft domes too .
Does a/d/s still in business?? I haven't heard anything new coming from the company.
I did replace the rear door speaker, but i disconnect them, i don't see the need .
Old 04-08-2006 | 07:37 PM

2002 C240
His thread has been hijacked . Well, Dyn are notoroiusly hard speaker to work with, it's basically a home audio speaker and will require a proper door deadening technique, such as sealing the service hole with mdf or foam alike. I have to make MDF spacer for them, they just fit, the depth is good but the diameter that's critical. After proper deadening, the dyn really shine and combine with good power it's hard to beat.
I heard lots of good things with a/d/s, they sounds somewhat similar to Dyn, if i remember correctly, the older orion HCCA splits (bi amp xover) used a/d/s speaker, i listen to the 5 inch version, the mid is just awesome, very2 powerful. I love my soft domes too .
Does a/d/s still in business?? I haven't heard anything new coming from the company.
I did replace the rear door speaker, but i disconnect them, i don't see the need .
That does sound complicated. I imagine my 5 1/4" a/d/s would sound even better with an enclosure behind them.They are just really clean speakers with great sounding amps as well.

a/d/s about lost it a few years ago and quality really dropped. Then they got picked up by the conglomerate D.E.I. They have recently put out some new product. I do not know much about it but the word is it isn't too bad.

I went shopping for a HU ysterday. A little dissappointing (Alpine - good; Kenwood, Pioneer - I have heard some good things about them). I have one more shop to hit. They carry Clarion, Eclipse and Rockford Fosgate.

I just finished building a cardboard sub box. Good thing I did, it needs a little modification! I made contact for some matching material and ordered some wiring and accessories. I am making progress and in for a long haul!

Thanks W06_3d4n
Old 04-09-2006 | 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
When searching for HU, you have to consider few things, do you need all the neccesary processor?? does it have to be cosmetically decent?? etc. For me personally, i only want a HU that can process sounds as simple as it can get, thus i choose Denon. I've heard the Alpine 9835 (replaced by 9855) complete with Bass engine pro. It's in my cousin's car and his equipment is scary (ScanSpeak tweeter). The music sounds heaps neater and very tidy (time allignment does wonder), but it just too cold for my liking, doesn't sound natural. I've also listen to Clarion DRX9255 (similar to HX-D1), this unit is just awesome, very transparent, can be anlytical at times, but very2 good. Same as Denon, it doesn't have digital processor. IMO, the alpine cannot match both Denon and Clarion in term of pure sound, but digital proccessor does wonder on staging, which can mean alot to some people or judges .
RF used to join forces with Denon, and create 'Denonford' HU, it's basically a Denon but cheaper price. Eclipse is very nice unit too, especially with 8V. Wouldn't touch Pio unless if it's P9 unit . The newer Kenwood is actually pretty decent (the one with rotating volume knob), forget the series. Happy hunting.
Old 04-09-2006 | 01:09 AM

W210, W220, W203
Try the new Alpine integration kit.
It works at least for my old E200 kompressor

J

Originally Posted by Belle the Benz
For X-Mas my girl friend 'Heather' gave me subs and an amp (shes so nice ). Well their was one catch, the amp was in testing and production phases, and wasn’t released to me until earlier today (one of the first ones). I’m a friend of one of the pioneers of the company. I’ve had to stare at the sub boxes for months , until now.

Anyways I searched the form and found out all the info required to install the subs (thanks! ). It turned out great and sounds awesome, defiantly worth the wait! For now I just have the amp secured down to the carpet, and a temporary box that they let me borrow, but I wanted to do a custom box and amp mount. What do you guys with custom trunks do about your spare tire? Is it still accessible?

I’m also open to any suggestions about the enclosure and amp mounting. I have a couple of things in mind, and have seen some great ones on this form. I just want to do something mild, since I’m at the end of the budget. Thanks, Evan

amp: TruTechnology Billet 2110
subs: Image Dynamics IDQ V.2 D4 12'

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trunk audio install done - Spare Tire?