C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

turning on easy exit feature

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turning on easy exit feature

I have a C320 and the easy exit for the seat and steering wheel has stopped working. I have followed all of the manuel's instructions, but nothing has worked. Under "convenience" I have noticed that the feature for easy exit is turned "off". I have tried everything I know to change it to "on". All of the key dependent features are turned "on". What could be the reasons I am unable to change it? Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 04-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Almost a Member!

mercedes c class avantagarde se (sport pack)
i have the same problems on mine, it started about a week ago everything is correctly set, the steering and mirrors move but the seat does not. Its not happening all the time though. got it booked into the dealers will keep you posted with what they say is up with it.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by dal dahele
i have the same problems on mine, it started about a week ago everything is correctly set, the steering and mirrors move but the seat does not. Its not happening all the time though. got it booked into the dealers will keep you posted with what they say is up with it.
Had this problem in the first year I had my car. They must have replaced something because I haven't experienced it since I last brought my car in for this problem. Had to bring it in twice before they finally pinpointed the issue. Unfortunately, I don't have the invoice available. I'll try looking later and posting what they did (if I can find that - around 1.5 years ago).
Old 04-19-2006, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB 2004 C230K 6-Sp-Manual Sedan Mars Red
I had the same problem too in the 1st year(2004). Took it in 2 times I think, worked for a while but then stopped. On the third(mid 2005), my dealer upgraded the computer on my car (task that suppose to take <1 hr but lasted 4 hrs). Seems to be working fine ever since.

I am curious what your tech has to say about the problem since my tech was not really sure what was wrong with my car.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:03 PM

08 CLS550 Diamond White 09upgrades
Clarify

I'm not sure abou this..... I'm sure every one knows this by now that the seats have a set parameter, if it is set too far back or too 'near' to the stearing wheel it will move to the equilibrum... But if you are arond normal size the seats will not move and only the steering wheel will move up..

Am I correct about the mention statment??

PS i notice sometimes it moves but not to the exact spot... check this by pressing the memory and things will moves just a little...

GOOD LUCK .
Old 04-19-2006, 06:26 PM

//WALD C320 Magnifique [sold], BMW Z4 3.0i 6spd[sold]
got same problem, dunno what they did.. I think its the control module
Attached Thumbnails turning on easy exit feature-231.jpg  

Last edited by SEXSPHERE; 04-19-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by mbz4810
I'm not sure abou this..... I'm sure every one knows this by now that the seats have a set parameter, if it is set too far back or too 'near' to the stearing wheel it will move to the equilibrum... But if you are arond normal size the seats will not move and only the steering wheel will move up..

PS i notice sometimes it moves but not to the exact spot... check this by pressing the memory and things will moves just a little...

GOOD LUCK .
This is the exact same thing that the MB Service Advisor tried to pawn off as an excuse to me, but...

I had knee surgery a few months after I purchased my car and when I first was able to drive again (after 1 month), the convenience option for the seat was working perfectly (and it was a big help for me)...then it stopped working completely.

They tried to say the same stuff, "oh, there's a limit as to how far back your seat can be programmed, in order for that option to work, etc, etc..."

Only when I took it to a different dealership to diagnose and find out what was happening did the problem get resolved.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:10 AM

mbz4810,
yea, the seat will move if too close [to steering wheel] but not in the equilibrium region. can't really say about the far setting. i would think no since my tall friend drives my car at setting #2, the seat does not move i have setting #2 in his E

my seat program setting happens to be very close to the transition point of too close and normal. when the seat setting is in the close region, the seat will move but if i move the setting a few mm away, the seat will not move. it is unfortunate that my favourite spot is that mm away from that point because at that setting, without the seat moving back, i still can't get out of the car!

not sure about the equilibrium point, but my tech adjusted how far my seat can go back without crushing the back passanger's leg. the bad side, during a hot day, my friend complains that i can't start the car quickly to cool the interior. how can i when i can't reach the clutch!
Old 04-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally Posted by mbz4810

GOOD LUCK .
I think you guys have this backwards... There is a RANGE of seating positions within which the move back feature works. If you set the seat too far back (out of the normal range), it will not retract at all.

I am 6 feet tall. I consider that normal, but Mercedes apparently considers me tall. If I set it to where I am comfy, the seat will not move back. If I move the seat forward an inch or two, it's now within the allowable range, and the seat will retract. But I can't drive comfortably with the seat moved forward.

I also have the problem of crushing people's shins when this works anyway. So, rather than loose friends, I have disabled the feature.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Its been sorted, they have upgraded the software from what they told me
Old 04-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 717 Likes on 698 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
i should let the dealer know on next service... i've had same problem once in a while and i haven't used easy exit feature for a long time... had to drive once with seat all the way back...
Old 04-27-2006, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by drexappeal
This is the exact same thing that the MB Service Advisor tried to pawn off as an excuse to me, but...

I had knee surgery a few months after I purchased my car and when I first was able to drive again (after 1 month), the convenience option for the seat was working perfectly (and it was a big help for me)...then it stopped working completely.

They tried to say the same stuff, "oh, there's a limit as to how far back your seat can be programmed, in order for that option to work, etc, etc..."

Only when I took it to a different dealership to diagnose and find out what was happening did the problem get resolved.
OMG WTF......I was reading this thread, and for some reason I don't remember my passenger mirror moving anymore whenever I reverse (like it used to) and when I went to fiddle with the convenience features I noticed...........IT DOESN'T WORK!!!! The only thing that moves is the steering wheel. I tried resetting it back to factory specs, then turning everything back on...and still nothing. THEN I moved the seat ridiculously forward and tried to see if it'll move back to it's original place......and NOTHING. I'm glad I came across this thread....I called my service advisor and made an appt to get this crap fixed!

What makes me mad is if it wasn't for being in this forum, I would've never noticed it! Is the software upgrade going to fix it????
Old 04-27-2006, 05:34 PM

Hey TA-99F,

I do notice that occurs to me sometimes after I save my seat seat setting, like the car lost its memory But after doing the procedure in the manual, it works. You might want to try this before going to the shop to save your time:
1) Put ignition on position 2 (to save petrol) or 3 (start)
2) Put transmission in reverse and wait ~5 sec
3) Set the mirror down to how you want it to be
Old 04-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by TA-9FF
OMG WTF......I was reading this thread, and for some reason I don't remember my passenger mirror moving anymore whenever I reverse (like it used to) and when I went to fiddle with the convenience features I noticed...........IT DOESN'T WORK!!!! The only thing that moves is the steering wheel. I tried resetting it back to factory specs, then turning everything back on...and still nothing. THEN I moved the seat ridiculously forward and tried to see if it'll move back to it's original place......and NOTHING. I'm glad I came across this thread....I called my service advisor and made an appt to get this crap fixed!

What makes me mad is if it wasn't for being in this forum, I would've never noticed it! Is the software upgrade going to fix it????
Yeah, that should be a definite fix under warranty.

When they tried to give me the excuse about the seat position being to far back, it didn't fly with me because #1, it was working where I had my seat programmed before and just completely stopped and #2, I'm 5'6, so it's not exactly like I'm freaking NBA basketball player 6'0 plus that needs the seat way back in order to drive!

If they give you some b.s. excuse, just indicate that you've talked to several "friends" that have experienced the same issue in their cars. They shouldn't give you an problems about it...well, at least my service advisor didn't. I think they ended up replacing a bunch of parts. Still haven't been able to look at my back records. When I get a chance, I'll take a pic of my back log records and post what the fix was.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by frox11
Hey TA-99F,

I do notice that occurs to me sometimes after I save my seat seat setting, like the car lost its memory But after doing the procedure in the manual, it works. You might want to try this before going to the shop to save your time:
1) Put ignition on position 2 (to save petrol) or 3 (start)
2) Put transmission in reverse and wait ~5 sec
3) Set the mirror down to how you want it to be
Hey frox11,

I tried it, and it didn't work. Thanks for the tips though! I hate bringing in my car for stupid stuff like this.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:36 PM

Hey TA-99F

Sorry to hear that I would get the computer flashed to the most recent software. If the mirror can move, there should not be anything wrong with the mirror mechanism/motor/electronic.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by frox11
Hey TA-99F

Sorry to hear that I would get the computer flashed to the most recent software. If the mirror can move, there should not be anything wrong with the mirror mechanism/motor/electronic.
My service advisor said that because my car was a June 2005-build it didn't come with the seat relays???? The mirrors and steering wheel works now, but the seat still does not move back. I'm 5'7", and honestly I don't need the seat to automatically move back, but I figure if it was designed to move back, then it should work the way it was made! My dealer basically told me my car has the most current software, and that the seat's are not supposed to move on C-Classes for the easy entry/exit feature. Probably BS, but whatever.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Yeah, that should be a definite fix under warranty.

When they tried to give me the excuse about the seat position being to far back, it didn't fly with me because #1, it was working where I had my seat programmed before and just completely stopped and #2, I'm 5'6, so it's not exactly like I'm freaking NBA basketball player 6'0 plus that needs the seat way back in order to drive!

If they give you some b.s. excuse, just indicate that you've talked to several "friends" that have experienced the same issue in their cars. They shouldn't give you an problems about it...well, at least my service advisor didn't. I think they ended up replacing a bunch of parts. Still haven't been able to look at my back records. When I get a chance, I'll take a pic of my back log records and post what the fix was.
Hey Drex,

I'd love to see the post on what the fix was. Cuz I got BSed by the dealer like you said.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Hey TA-9FF,

thats BS by the dealer , my cars July 2005 Build, and the seat moves back with the easy entry feature. My very first problem with the car was the driver side mirror was very loose, got the wife to take it in and they told her it is normal on a c class, i took it in the following day and they told me that the mirror mounting was cracked.

what i do now for any warranty work is to book the car in and when u take it in sit in the area reserved for people waiting to see a sales man for a new purchase, and not in the service area, get them to do all their booking in their. do the same when u collect the car they are a little more helpful as they dont want other people to know how useless they are, and how they like to fob of people with BS
Old 05-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Hey Drex,

I'd love to see the post on what the fix was. Cuz I got BSed by the dealer like you said.
I'm going out of town this weekend, so I might not have a chance 'till next week, but I'll look through all my former paperwork to dig up what I can that'll help.

Sorry to hear that they didn't fix it for you.

-ADDED-
I just thought about it and the only thing that may be a problem (even if I find the paperwork) is that I have the 2004.5 before they changed the interior console and such, so the fixes the did to my car may not even apply for your '06. Either way, I'll still try to find it when I get a chance.

Last edited by drexappeal; 05-03-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

My service advisor said that because my car was a June 2005-build it didn't come with the seat relays???? The mirrors and steering wheel works now, but the seat still does not move back.
You have the comfort/convenience package, right? (i.e. memory seats, multi adjustable auto seats, auto tilt steering wheel, etc...)

I just want to make sure because if you don't have those, then that's the only reason why I can think this wouldn't be available for your car.

I'm gonna look through my past invoices for you still, but just wanted to ask you that just in case you don't have the comfort/convenience package.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:52 PM

'05 SS Brillant Silver
You have the comfort/convenience package, right? (i.e. memory seats, multi adjustable auto seats, auto tilt steering wheel, etc...)

I just want to make sure because if you don't have those, then that's the only reason why I can think this wouldn't be available for your car.

I'm gonna look through my past invoices for you still, but just wanted to ask you that just in case you don't have the comfort/convenience package.

If you don't have the C/C package...is the steering column still suppose to move?? I just noticed mine maked the sound as if it suppose to move but nothing happens. Tried going to the convenience submenu only to realize I don't have it...which I assume is because I don't have the C/C package....but I swore the steering column use to move when I bought it.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by jan ken po
If you don't have the C/C package...is the steering column still suppose to move?? I just noticed mine maked the sound as if it suppose to move but nothing happens. Tried going to the convenience submenu only to realize I don't have it...which I assume is because I don't have the C/C package....but I swore the steering column use to move when I bought it.
If you have the C/C package, you should see "Convenience" in the settings menu. If you don't see that, I'm not sure if there's a possibility for you to have it added through star diagnose. I'm also not sure if all w203's have an electronic steering column. Assuming they do, this would be a great question for Steve and/or Sunman.