C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Need a Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C280 4Matic
Need a Light

I would like to upgrade my 2006 C280 to HID but I have a few questions (I've searched this forum but I haven't found the answers I'm looking for). Any help provided will be appreciated.

My car has the standard headlights, not the projector beams.

1. I've read that installing HID in a non-projector beam housing yields poor lighting performance. One should only upgrade to HID if the car has projector beams otherwise don't bother. Is this true?? Anyone out there upgraded to HID with the stock housing??

2. Seems like common sense to buy a kit that is "plug-n-play" (requires no light housing modification). I believe the stock low beam is an H7 bulb so buying a kit that plugs into the stock bulb wiring harness and socket would be the way to go. Like this kit, for example http://www.coolbulbs.com/HIDKits_body.asp Is this a good kit? What is the recommended kit for my car??

3. I've read in these forums that the car's computer needs to be set to Xenon=Yes or else the headlights won't work properly (is this because the computer senses low amp draw??). Is there a plug-n-play kit that won't cause this issue? If so, which one?

I would've ordered the car with HID if I bought it new. However, it's a "new" dealer demo with 2k miles on it (2006) and it doesn't have the lighting upgrade. I really want HID!!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
need a light? are u smoking that la la la, memph bleek smokin that la la la, beanie seagle desert eagle the 45 its the roc....

u should check around, HIDS i think are too "hot" as it its very warm, and I think u should get BI-X and then HID fogs?
Old 04-11-2006, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
There are some questions you need to ask any one that sells kits to convert to HID lamps:

Is the conversion beam pattern correct?
How is the conversion made to be beam pattern correct?
How is the conversion tested to ensure beam pattern correctness?
If it is not beam pattern correct, can they tell you how to fix it?
Do they know what a correct beam pattern looks like?
Are they aware that non-beam pattern correct conversions have serious disadvantages? A person could get hurt!

I can't see how a bulb designed for a projector housing can be installed in a reflector housing and get a proper beam. Since the lamps must have their base changed, it might be possible. Mid 90's Mercedes actually had such a lamp, but it has fallen from favor. One big problem with putting a HID lamp in a reflector is the insulation of the return wire. Most reflectors are metalized, and will arc to the return wire.

The color temperature of the lamp is either 4300K or 6000K. Only 4300K is used in OEM headlights. How would you measure it? Knowing that most people can't, sellers lie. The way they make it blue is to put a filter on the external glass. This raises the color temperatue, but decreases the light output significantly.

My experience is that Osram (Sylvania) or Philips HID bulbs get more blue as they age, and they last about 2,000 hours. Asian lamps (unknown manufacturer) seem to remain rather constant in color, but expire at about 600 hours.

Conversion to Bi-Xenon is possible, but you must change the housings. MbenzNL.com has more infomation on factory parts. These lamps will probably not be available much longer because of the soon to start production of the new C class body style, so you should move quickly if you really want them.

Changing the housings is not the full job. You do need the computer to be version coded for xenon lamps. This is because halogen lamps draw 55W and most HID lamps draw 35W. The car can tell the difference.

In most aftermarket installations you don't get the automatic leveling sensors and sensor wiring harness, nor the heated headlamp washers. Both of these require a lot of very expensive additional parts. Many folks don't think these items are really necessary, but be aware that Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 requires the leveler and washer. It is your choice.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Get the genuine BiX housings. Anything else just looks like ricer bulbs.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 754 Likes on 735 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
get bix from steve
Old 04-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
a H7 HID kit will most likely use a re-based D2R bulb, not the D2S bulb used in the factory projector BIX. the D2R bulb is designed for reflector housing applications in OEM vehicles (G35, previous gen TL). Since your reflector is not designed for an HID bulb however, you will possibly see hot spots and an uneven beam pattern. Some conversions are better than others. The problems with the beam pattern can't be fixed without going to a factory bix housing.

about the xenon=present setting, if you are planning this mod, I would go to the dealer early and have it set. It can be set to "ON" and your normal halogen lighting will work without issues.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
btw - check out this thread

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=hid+upgrade

Untouchable08 may be able to answer your questions better than anyone else
Old 04-12-2006, 05:57 PM

2006 C280 4Matic
Thanks everyone. Looks like I may just keep it stock. It's not worth changing the headlight housings and I certainly don't want my car to look like a rice rocket.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 754 Likes on 735 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
bixenons don't make your car look like rice rocket.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:27 PM

2006 C280 4Matic
I mean putting a hid kit in a housing that's not built for it. Anyway, I'm still interested and will continue to research.

Please...anyone who's installed a plug and play kit into the stock housing with no modifications and no computer changes with lights that have a nice pattern PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!

I want to know for certain one way or the other if it works and if it's worth it.