C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Need Help with Hids and warranty issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320 Sports Coupe 2003
Need Help with Hids and warranty issue

I have a mercedes C320 coupe bought it without the light package (Hids) So recently I deceded to pick up a set of Hid's but I havent install them yet. Few thing I was wondering the cheapest place I found that will install the Hid's for me is about 60 bucks, is that worth it? Or is it possible for a person like myself who hasnt done anything with wireing and lights am capable to install it myself? Also read that once I install the Hids the computer will read a malfunction because it cant locate the stock lights, I understand this wont be a being deal since the lights will still work but I was also told I need to go to a MB dealer to have them reprogram it or something. Just a thought, my car is still under warranty about 2 years left and by installing aftermarket parts to the car wouldnt that wave the warranty or is it possilbe to use the warranty to have them reporgram my ECU. Also forgot to mention i got them in 10k was wondering if I over did it was aimming for blue but people told me *k is suppose to be blue but doesnt really show.Any other suggestions? Thanks a lot guys

Last edited by Hksuperman4000; 04-19-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Hksuperman4000
I have a mercedes C320 coupe bought it without the light package (Hids) So recently I deceded to pick up a set of Hid's but I havent install them yet. Few thing I was wondering the cheapest place I found that will install the Hid's for me is about 60 bucks, is that worth it? Or is it possible for a person like myself who hasnt done anything with wireing and lights am capable to install it myself? Also read that once I install the Hids the computer will read a malfunction because it cant locate the stock lights, I understand this wont be a being deal since the lights will still work but I was also told I need to go to a MB dealer to have them reprogram it or something. Just a thought, my car is still under warranty about 2 years left and by installing aftermarket parts to the car wouldnt that wave the warranty or is it possilbe to use the warranty to have them reporgram my ECU. Also forgot to mention i got them in 10k was wondering if I over did it was aimming for blue but people told me *k is suppose to be blue but doesnt really show.Any other suggestions? Thanks a lot guys
60 bucks?, probably crap
it will definitely burn out.
at first, i was thinking f a 30000k kit.
but now, i decided on the 14000k.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my HID lights from Darwin at Carlab in SF, about $260 if I remember correctly. Basically you remove the bulb, put the HID bulb in and connect the box they give you to connector that you used to plug in the bulb to and then plug the box to the new bulb and you are done, no knowledge of wiring needed, you can't plug it in wrong. Then I used a strip of metal included to hold the box against the car so it doesn't rattle. Most cars seem to work fine without any programming. Mine needed it but don't worry, you'll know in a few days if you need it and BTW, you will not be able to drive the car, they'll blink on and off. My dealer helped me out on this, I'm sure your's will too.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:47 PM

C320 Sports Coupe 2003
I didnt buy the kit for 60bucks The kit was about 200 but I found a shop that will install them for 60bucks that what I ment you think its worth it?
Old 04-20-2006, 12:35 AM

C320 Sports Coupe 2003
So will the car start if it starts blinking? Will I still be able to drive the car to the dealer to have it fixed? Any will the dealer fix it under my warrnety or will it be waved since i added after market items to the car. I really do hope it doesnt need to be reprogrammed Thanks any other advice.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The car will run fine, the lights may or may not function, some people are lucky, some aren't. I'm one of the unlucky ones. There is an alternative to having this option set, it involves adding a 20 watt resistor to compensate for the lower wattage. I think an 8 or 9 ohm one would work but you should do the math yourself as I don't want to be responsible for something bad happening.