C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Conundrum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02' C230k Sport Coupe
Conundrum

Oh jeez, if it's not one thing is the other. I came from work and I found a HUGE screw in my stock tires. Nothing new there... happens that the guy in the tire place told me that he was unable to plug the tire because the tire had a bump and more than likely they were unable to put it back (or inflate it back)... So in short, he told me to buy 1 or 2 tires...
well, sounds funky but ok, I believe him (if I shouldn't please let me know). He didn't charge me anything but quote me $189 for 1 tire (regular stock Michellin). This was a very unexpected thing and I wasn't expecting to get new tires, specially because I still can get some 5000/10000 miles out of them. I do want to upgrade but in due time. So what you guys will do? Change 1 only for the same Michellin 205x55x16? Change the entire set for not-so-expensive tires or what? I was thinking in getting some from tires.com or tirerack.com I might go for the second option since they sponsor the forums. But what should I do? can I get better tires (maybe a lower or wider option) without changing the stock rims? TIA...

P.S.>hehehe, I'm still driving with the stupid screw in my tire... hehehehe
Old 04-26-2006, 01:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
www.tirerack.com

Buy it through the link here
http://www.tirerack.com/affiliates/mbworld/index.html
Old 04-26-2006, 01:37 AM

02' C230k Sport Coupe
yup, I will... but what about the sizes or the other recommendations?
Old 04-26-2006, 03:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
$189? Yeesh. I got 4 General Exclaim UHPs 225x45x17 for $400 installed. For close to $200 for just one tire, you may just want to go all the way and get the 4. I don't know much about tires, but my guess is that your 16s will actually be cheaper than my 17s, since the dealer tried to get me to pay $590 installed for two Michelin 17s, though yours are wider tires. I'd go for that route if you can push that sort of deal at a shop near you. And I'm happy with the UHPs so far. I got them because of the high tread wear, the rating, and the fact that the Generals we have for the MLs have been great so far.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:12 AM

02' C230k Sport Coupe
Yup, I think $189 is very unreasonable... I hate to keep driving with the stupid screw in my tire but the budget is not big...
Old 04-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
If the screw is in the tread area, go to Wal-Mart and buy a tire plug kit. It's very simple to then remove the screw to see if it will leak (sometimes they don't). If leak, then follow the simple instructions on the plug kit and plug the tire. That way you can continue to drive until you decide the time is right to buy a new set on your own terms. I can't tell you how many times I've plugged tires. Works great.

Discount Tire will have those Michelins for somewhat less than $189 a tire.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:07 PM

'14 CLA 45
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
If the screw is in the tread area, go to Wal-Mart and buy a tire plug kit. It's very simple to then remove the screw to see if it will leak (sometimes they don't). If leak, then follow the simple instructions on the plug kit and plug the tire. That way you can continue to drive until you decide the time is right to buy a new set on your own terms. I can't tell you how many times I've plugged tires. Works great.

as long as it is just a screw it is no problem. just buy one of those kits (like bob mentioned). you pull out the screw and then you have like a sticky mass string that you ram into the wheel (probably need one behind as you push it into the tire) and it should seal the hole. i did it twice an never had any problems with the tire. of course you should drive 130+ but you wont have to buy another tire just because of one screw.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:40 PM

Dia Blk '06 C230 w/3 pedals
Originally Posted by jedcred
$189? Yeesh. I got 4 General Exclaim UHPs 225x45x17 for $400 installed. For close to $200 for just one tire, you may just want to go all the way and get the 4. I don't know much about tires, but my guess is that your 16s will actually be cheaper than my 17s, since the dealer tried to get me to pay $590 installed for two Michelin 17s, though yours are wider tires. I'd go for that route if you can push that sort of deal at a shop near you. And I'm happy with the UHPs so far. I got them because of the high tread wear, the rating, and the fact that the Generals we have for the MLs have been great so far.
205x55x16 are wider than 225x45x17? Ummmm...okaaaaaaay...
Old 04-26-2006, 07:52 PM

'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
Originally Posted by anonymouse
205x55x16 are wider than 225x45x17? Ummmm...okaaaaaaay...
Heh, I must have been reading his post really fast, misreading the 205 as 250. It can happen
Old 04-26-2006, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
205/55-16 are the exact same rolling diameter as 225/50-16. Get the wider 225/50 tires and put them on the rear. They fit on the rims perfectly and look great from the back or side. Take the good 205 tire and put it on a steel wheel to use as a spare (store it - use the donut spare for emergency til you can get home and change to the steel wheel spare)

oh...and $189 for a 205/55-16 is a rip off...the guy saw your Mercedes and he's trying to tap your wallet dry. SEARS sells the tires for $109.98 regular price.

Last edited by Rick; 04-26-2006 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by fanito
happens that the guy in the tire place told me that he was unable to plug the tire because the tire had a bump and more than likely they were unable to put it back (or inflate it back)... I believe him (if I shouldn't please let me know). ....P.S.>hehehe, I'm still driving with the stupid screw in my tire...:
Never plug a tire. If the tire is too worn, damaged to the point of unsafe use (bubble, etc.), or the hole is on/near the sidewall you need to replace the tire. If it's fixable have the tire removed from the rim and properly patched from the inside. You should never trust anyone about something that increases their income at your expense. If you don't know how to tell when someone is taking advantage of you then you're stuck. The only thing "stupid" about driving with a screw in the tire is you. How do you think some blowouts occur?
Old 04-26-2006, 11:30 PM

02' C230k Sport Coupe
lol, thanks for calling me "stupid" ... .... I've heard about people going in life with a screw in their tires... I am trying to get it replaced, I am just broke at the moment. I can afford some decent tires somewhat around 100 per tire but I'll be damn if I pay close to 200 for only 1.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C230 SS
i had to get my stock tire replaced... i think it was 200 something, but just before my dad went to pay, he met the GM, who is my dad's friend... and my dad was telling him what happened, and he laughed, and said don't worry about it, so i ended up getting it for free... haha woooooot! (basically, 3 nails in 1 tire = the story)
Old 04-27-2006, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
lol, thanks for calling me "stupid" 1.
Sometimes I'm too blunt A metal object piercing a tire heats up the more it's driven and weakens the tire casing around the hole. Even though it may not leak air it is damaging the tire more and more and if not taken care of a catastrophic blowout occurs. The tire literally explodes. It's not like a slow leak and eventually the tire goes flat.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:49 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230
Most tire shops have a thing where if you buy four tires they will charge you less per tire, than if you buy one they will charge you every penny they can. I would recommend you just patch it up why? Well my sisters TSX had a bolt not a screw a bolt right after she got it and I patched it with only 7,000 miles on the car and now she has 29,000 with the same set. So if a bolt can get patched then I think a screw shouldn't be a problem. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
i recently had a screw in my rear pass tire. I had a plug and patch but its still leaking...abt 1-2 PSI every 3 days... I sooner or later need new tires...

but the thing is that... I JUST GOT THESE TIRES NOT TOO LONG AGO
Old 04-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally Posted by mleskovar
Never plug a tire. If the tire is too worn, damaged to the point of unsafe use (bubble, etc.), or the hole is on/near the sidewall you need to replace the tire. If it's fixable have the tire removed from the rim and properly patched from the inside.
With respect, tires are regularly "plugged" all the time, even today. It's a common procedure for the last several decades. My daughter had a tire "plugged" recently by a reputable, leading brand-name tire shop. As long as the hole is in the tread area and not too close to the sidewall (rules vary by shop), there is nothing wrong with plugging the tire. The admonition not to plug a tire is simply urban myth, imo.

I could make the point that a "mushroom" plug (available for decades) that 1) patches the inside and 2) fills the entire hole from inside to outside is more secure a repair than placing a .060" patch over the inside that leaves the entire hole open to the elements from the outside.

We've discussed ways that tire places scam you over tires. Plugging a tire is a simple procedure done from the outside of the tire that stays on the rim. Patching requires dismounting the tire, installing the patch, and remounting the tire... sometimes rebalancing the entire shooting match if the dealer forgot to mark the tire/rim at the stem, and decides you will pay extra for the re-balance. So, patching (rather than plugging) is an excellent way to run up the bill. The shops here in Dallas offer both procedures, depending on where the hole is in the tire.

I've plugged nearly 20 radial tires over the last 30 years, and NEVER had a problem with such a repair. Not one.

Originally Posted by advans
i recently had a screw in my rear pass tire. I had a plug and patch but its still leaking...abt 1-2 PSI every 3 days... I sooner or later need new tires...
You have another leak elsewhere that was not discovered in the initial repair. It can happen.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
With respect, tires are regularly "plugged" all the time nowadays. It's a common procedure for the last several decades.
Being 'common' doesn't make it right. Plugs are used because they are easy and quick. I used to plug my tires until a friend in the tire business gave me this lecture:
1. The inside of the tire always needs to be inspected before a repair. Whatever made the hole could have taken cords/belts with it on its way through the tire or caused more damage than is visible from the outside.
2. Plugs do fall out or leak, especially as the tire wears.
3. Making a hole bigger to pass the tool only damages the tire more.

I also have never had a problem with a plugged tire (that I was aware of). This may be a myth vs reality thing (my myth). I wonder what Luke's take on patch vs. plug is?
Old 04-27-2006, 05:24 PM

Dia Blk '06 C230 w/3 pedals
Originally Posted by advans
You have another leak elsewhere that was not discovered in the initial repair. It can happen.

Or a cracked rim
Old 04-27-2006, 06:51 PM

Black 04 C230 Kompressor SS
lol, thanks for calling me "stupid" ... .... I've heard about people going in life with a screw in their tires... I am trying to get it replaced, I am just broke at the moment. I can afford some decent tires somewhat around 100 per tire but I'll be damn if I pay close to 200 for only 1.
I've heard of people walking around with bullets lodged in their heads.

Go to BJ's or Sam's Club & get them to slap a set of 4 on. They come with all the warranty, free rotation, mounting valves etc etc etc!! Don't tell anybody I posted this OK!
Old 04-28-2006, 10:29 PM

2015 E550 Coupe, 2012 E350 4matic Sedan, 2016 fully blown out custom camaro 2SS
I agree

Mr Bob has hit the nail excuss me I mean screw right on the head, I too had this problem and was told by my shop as long as the puncture was not on the side wall he'll be able to plug it and he did and charged me 11 bucks to boot, good luck and I hope things work out.
Ps.> Don't get screwed "LOL"