C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Is Programming Required for 2002 C240 CD Changer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Programming Required for 2002 C240 CD Changer?

Hi:

I just installed CD changer on my 2002 C240 however whenever I selected CD button from my radio, it keeps saying "No CD Changer". Does the 2002 C240 requires D2B ring to be reprogrammed? Is there a way to verify if the CD Changer itself is working? (I bought it used however I was able to press the eject button and the cd magazine properly ejected).

How much does the dealer charge for programming the radio/D2B ring?

Regards,

Jim
Old 04-27-2006, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Are you sure that you connected the D2B ring correctly? It must form a loop from the radio to the CD player, through any other devices you have like telephone, teleaid, or premium audio amp. I have installed a couple, and they worked without programming.

Your dealer can tell you if your 2002 needs to be programmed. It usually takes 10 minutes, and a half hour would be fair.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Moviela
Are you sure that you connected the D2B ring correctly? It must form a loop from the radio to the CD player, through any other devices you have like telephone, teleaid, or premium audio amp. I have installed a couple, and they worked without programming.
I am pretty sure I did it correctly otherwise the radio won't work right? Also the fiber optic can go to the "splice" in a particular position. There is no way a mistake can be made I think. Here is the exact connection I made. TelOut (red) to CD In (white). CD Out (Red) to Radio in (white). I also see there is power on the CD changer because I can eject the magazine.

Your dealer can tell you if your 2002 needs to be programmed. It usually takes 10 minutes, and a half hour would be fair.
Ok may be I should call a dealer but I would like to make sure there is nothing wrong with the installation or the CD changer itself.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
They are (argh) problematic and will eventually you
some headaches. Though they are plug n play, they
may periodically display 'No CD Changer" on the
head unit. If that's the case you can try....

1 - disconnect radio fuse for few minutes

2 - pull radio and disconnect power plug for few minutes

3 - hold down CD button for 30 secs

4 - worst case, pull NEG battery lead but I don't like
this as you'd then have to resync several appliances
like roof, mirrors, seat, radio...error codes. the top
sticky also advices against this unless you are fully
aware of the various resets and error codes which may
pop up. it's the "disconnecting the battery" sticky by Mr Bob.

these are suggestions which have worked for others on various MB forums.
I've installed 3010 and 3198 on several occasions and none required dealer
to activate or intervene.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The items in the loop need to be connected in a certain order so the "marching orders" are understood by all the clients. Sometimes you can get away with an out of order setup, but that is asking for trouble.

The connections of D2B should be as follows:

Radio red to CD white, CD red (splice C) to Voice Control White, Voice Control Red to Telephone White, Telephone Red (splice A) to Sound Amp White, Sound Amp Red (splice B) to Radio White.

If you don't have a sound amp, the radio would still play because it does not need a functioning D2B loop to work.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Moviela
The items in the loop need to be connected in a certain order so the "marching orders" are understood by all the clients. Sometimes you can get away with an out of order setup, but that is asking for trouble.

The connections of D2B should be as follows:

Radio red to CD white, CD red (splice C) to Voice Control White, Voice Control Red to Telephone White, Telephone Red (splice A) to Sound Amp White, Sound Amp Red (splice B) to Radio White.
I doubled check again, I am pretty sure the fiber optics connection is correct.

If you don't have a sound amp, the radio would still play because it does not need a functioning D2B loop to work.
Yes, this is true.

Correct if I am wrong, fiber optics is only used to carry audio signal right? So even if I mistakenly (which I don't believe so) make incorrect connection, the CD itself will spin and start playing. Whenever when I press the CD button, I didn't hear any activity at all on the CD changer. Does it mean:
[1] The radio is not sending anything to the CD changer, which means it has to be reprogrammed?
[2] The radio sends the signal to CD changer but CD changer is broken?

I just want to make sure it is not case [2] that is happening because I got the CD changer used and I want to return it if it doesn't work.

In any case, thank you for your advice.