C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

ring pulley on m111

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ring pulley on m111

is anyone here running a kleeman or carlson ring pulley on an M111 motor? i have heard all the horror stories, from third parties and would like to hear from any firsthand users.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by mumzergadol
is anyone here running a kleeman or carlson ring pulley on an M111 motor? i have heard all the horror stories, from third parties and would like to hear from any firsthand users.
So, if youve heard the stories, why are you even interested anymore?

A brand new ASP pulley is still pretty inexpensive.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:06 AM

'04 C230K SS
Originally Posted by Outland

Any links or websites for more info?

Thanks/Al
Old 04-29-2006, 03:39 PM

because they have all been hearsay. id like to hear it from someone who actually had a problem; as opposed to typical low grade mbz tech about the guy who herd it from his sister's boyfriend.

to date there has been no logical explanation for the alleged blower failures.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
because they have all been hearsay. id like to hear it from someone who actually had a problem; as opposed to typical low grade mbz tech about the guy who herd it from his sister's boyfriend.

to date there has been no logical explanation for the alleged blower failures.
OK, I'll be the first to put it out there...you sound like an idiot.

Do a search...the ring pulley isn't even produced anymore...that should speak volumes about its serviceability. Its not the supercharger you have to worry about...its that ****ty little ring pulley coming loose or misalinged. It can shred a belt or come off entirely.

Spinning the Eaton faster doesn't kill it. The SC on the M271 is running 11psi...that's more than an M111 is running on a car with the enlarged crank pulley. Do you think MB would have put the car on the road if 10 or 11 psi of boost would destroy the SC?

The amount of time you spend in the extra revs is so little, and even if you wear it out a little faster...so what. A Roots type blower is cheap and easy to rebuild.

Youre obviously a little on the cheap side if youre even considering the ring pulley. An ASP is only 600, 300 if you return the core, and its based on the stock MB pulley- no dampner or balance worries there. Can't get any better than that.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by aecasasus
Any links or websites for more info?

Thanks/Al
www.aspracing.com

Won't do you any good... the newer engine like you have doesn't take well to more boost...the ecu kicks the timing backinto last year...and you don't make any extra power.

So far, the only ways to get around that is using the Kleeman K box, which alters the signals coming to and leaving the ECU, or a custom ECU tuning...
Old 04-29-2006, 04:50 PM

OK, I'll be the first to put it out there...you sound like an idiot.
hmm...then i suppose you'll be the first to be told to suck it. Its really not appropriate to lash out at strangers just because your daddy never told you he loves you.

Do a search...the ring pulley isn't even produced anymore...that should speak volumes about its serviceability. Its not the supercharger you have to worry about...its that ****ty little ring pulley coming loose or misalinged. It can shred a belt or come off entirely.
i have done substantial searching only to find third party assertions of failures with no doucmentation; and, a variety of bashing of each of the various products on the market typically posted by owners of a competitors goods. the 'tech' here is weak sauce - full of conjecture and routinely without data. Had you employed the search tool you are so quick to recommend you would know that the average pulley discussion runs into the dozens of posts with the more thoughtful content suggesting there are no definitive answers.

Spinning the Eaton faster doesn't kill it. The SC on the M271 is running 11psi...that's more than an M111 is running on a car with the enlarged crank pulley.
yeah...that's why i was asking for someone to report on a documented blower failure as opposed to posting assertions that they had heard of some on other forums.

Do you think MB would have put the car on the road if 10 or 11 psi of boost would destroy the SC?
I asked the question (you arrogant ***) because i don't buy the blower failure claims.

im gonna answer your question with a question. Do you think mercedes would have put the car on the road with a disintegrating harmonic damper hub, or dozens of software bugs, or known bad sway bar driving links, or a variety of failure prone front suspension bushings? If you'd used the search tool i'm sure you would find a variety of problems in these cars that the factor has produced in tens of thousands of units. So sure...mbz can make dumb engineering decisions. Have you looked at the cup holder recently?

Who is the bigger idiot...you have three of the things. You are the one with "MBUSA sucks" in your sig block.

Youre obviously a little on the cheap side if youre even considering the ring pulley.
dude...you are the one who thinks cuervo is good tequila.

An ASP is only 600, 300 if you return the core, and its based on the stock MB pulley- no dampner or balance worries there. Can't get any better than that.
huh...did you consider the effect of weldment to the hub, and the hydrogen embrittlement that occurs in the heat affected zone around the welds? Did you consider the fact that the part can's be properly re-heat treated after weldment to normalize it due to the rubber liner? If you think there are no worries, you might want to go take a materials science class.

I asked because i have a cnc turning center in the shop behind me, and a bunch of 14" square by 1.75 thick 2024 aluminum billets behind me left over from an aerospace prototyping project, and i'd rather tinker with it than throw it out.

Thanks for your incredibly insightful tech.

Last edited by revitidk493; 04-29-2006 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
hmm...then i suppose you'll be the first to be told to suck it. Its really not appropriate to lash out at strangers just because your daddy never told you he loves you..
Oh, ouch...I'm so wounded.

So sure...mbz can make dumb engineering decisions. .
Not with something like spinning the SC double the speed that they have been. If just spinning it faster made it fail, you'd have never seen the M271 come along. Why worry about the supercharger, when the rear diff is made of glass. Diff failures are pretty well documented.

Have you looked at the cup holder recently? .
Too complicated for you to figure out? I think its pretty clever.

Who is the bigger idiot...you have three of the things. You are the one with "MBUSA sucks" in your sig block..
MBUSA is the importer and distributor. DCX builds them. Nobody ever clue you in on that little tidbit? Be glad the boys at MBUSA aren't making engineering decisions. Youre pulling ahead in the idiot race again.

dude...you are the one who thinks cuervo is good tequila.
The margaritta recipe is from a fellow member, hence, the part that reads "Jeff's Killer Margaritas". I could care less how good cuervo is. I never make them...just consume them.

huh...did you consider the effect of weldment to the hub, and the hydrogen embrittlement that occurs in the heat affected zone around the welds? Did you consider the fact that the part can's be properly re-heat treated after weldment to normalize it due to the rubber liner? If you think there are no worries, you might want to go take a materials science class..
I'm not a metallurgist by trade, or a welder. However, there are ways to reduce the amount of hydrogen released during the welding process. Additionally, the ring is pressed on, the small amount of weld is insurance...its not what's holding the whole thing together. Given how small the welds are, I would venture theres not enough heating of the part to cause me any concern. Properely installed, the risk of catastrophic failure is pretty low, unlike the ring design. Basically, I'm not too worried about it. Three different companies manufacture the same design. The more expensive versions are no different in design or manufacture. There have been no failures with this design.

I asked because i have a cnc turning center in the shop behind me, and a bunch of 14" square by 1.75 thick 2024 aluminum billets behind me left over from an aerospace prototyping project, and i'd rather tinker with it than throw it out.
By all means, get cracking. In addition to the failures of the ring pulley, several all aluminum pulleys have come to tragic ends, and this has been documented extensively.

A permanently attached ring would fair much better than the clumsy set screws that the Kleeman ring used.
Thanks for your incredibly insightful tech.
Any time.

Last edited by Outland; 04-30-2006 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:53 PM

'04 C230K SS
www.aspracing.com

Won't do you any good... the newer engine like you have doesn't take well to more boost...the ecu kicks the timing backinto last year...and you don't make any extra power.

So far, the only ways to get around that is using the Kleeman K box, which alters the signals coming to and leaving the ECU, or a custom ECU tuning...
Thanks for the info Outland!!!!

I guess I'll go the ECU upgrade way!!!
Old 04-30-2006, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think he should put it on and see for yourself if it's good or bad. So I won't even comment on the rings I've seen, had in my hand and help install because you wouldn't believe me because I personally did not have it on my car. Go for it, it will be an outstanding experience for you. It's still available from Kleemann in Denmark, not U.S. As it turns out, the people that like it and still have it on drive W203 C200. In 4 years I have not heard of anyone with a W203 C230 that still has it on and that's across 4 forums so you may not get much of a response.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:56 PM

2010 C300

huh...did you consider the effect of weldment to the hub, and the hydrogen embrittlement that occurs in the heat affected zone around the welds? Did you consider the fact that the part can's be properly re-heat treated after weldment to normalize it due to the rubber liner? If you think there are no worries, you might want to go take a materials science class.
With the right process, the HAZ and hydrogen embrittlement (two different issues) shouldn't be an problem on these materials. It's not rocket science... anyone who is making these types of welds should have enough knowledge to do it right. These are pretty basic welds here...

You should probably sign up for that class as well... your comments up there don't really make much sense. And unlike Outland... I am a metallurgist.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:59 PM

2010 C300
www.aspracing.com

Like he said - pulleys do exist for the M271 but they don't do any good without computer work. I have the prototype set on my car from ASP right now - and will be sending my ECU out soon hopefully. No guarantee that it will work, but I'm willing to try.

Other than that, wait a few months, there's a couple companies working on some right now.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by aecasasus
Thanks for the info Outland!!!!

I guess I'll go the ECU upgrade way!!!
Head over to MBKlasse, there's a pretty extensive discussion of the hows and whats regarding the M271pulley.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:39 AM

'04 C230K SS
Cool!!!

Thanks Again Outland!!!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Mumz, gotta admit, this topic has really been covered. You may not have seen this coming, but your response to Outland, just unecessary. Outland, you were a bit harsh. But I guess I have gotten used to your practical and direct communication.

Come now boys, the sandbox is big enough...

Now, who needs a coffee?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by emrliquidlife
Outland, you were a bit harsh. ?
Was I? I don't think I was.

But I guess I have gotten used to your practical and direct communication.?
Direct..sure, that's me. The thing is, on the Internet, without things like body language and facial expressions, its easy to percieve or interpret the intent the wrong way.

Come now boys, the sandbox is big enough...

Now, who needs a coffee?
I don't drink Coffee. I love the smell of it. I'll often pour a cup just for the smell. But the taste...don't much like it. How about a beer?