C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Any new thoughts on the Bose stereo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
Any new thoughts on the Bose stereo

When I was getting my car, I heard some not very nice things about the Bose Audio Pilot stereo. After having it now for about a week, I think it sounds fine. Its not the deepest or most robust unit that I have heard, but it sounds good at almost any level. Just wanted some input from the rest of you who have the unit. The sedan is a different design than the coupe but I am interested in any opinions regardless of the model.
Old 12-16-2001, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
regardless of the model... it's like apples to oranges.... the sedan version of it sounds much, much better than the coupe's. In fact, they are totally different - even dealer's part nos. for the amplifier are different between the sedan and the coupe...
Old 12-17-2001, 08:46 AM

C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
yes I am interested

As I stated, regardless of the model, I am interested in your opinions. I did not say I was comparing the two (coupe and sedan), I simply stated I was interested in your opinion. If you do not wish to read the opinions then move on, otherwise thank you for your input.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Personally, I think the Bose system in my coupe sounds great. Now, I don't listen to rap/thump/boom/bang/top 40 crap...I'm more of a jazz and rock kind of guy. Although the promo/ad tune by Geggy Tah sounds really good on this system, it's not really my style of music.

Recommended listening test: Set bass at +3, tweak treble all the way up, put on some Candy Dulfer or Boney James and listen at moderate volume.

Yes' Relayer also sounds really good, but you can only listen to Rick Wakeman every so often...more than that might cause road rage.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
I'll never replace the BOSE system in my C320 because it sounds great to me.

My friend has a BMW 330I w/Harmon Kardon and the bass is nowhere near the Bose system....(not that the bass is huge in the C320...but you can crank it up with no distortion).
Old 12-17-2001, 10:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Unlike Rick, I have listened to music that was made after the Beatles broke up, and I don't think that it's a great system, but I'm still glad that I upgraded to the Bose on my c230.

I wanted to keep the factory warranty, so I decided to wait on ripping out the whole damn thing, which only left the stock vs. Bose question, and the Bose ain't great, but it's much better than stock.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Originally posted by tommy
Unlike Rick, I have listened to music that was made after the Beatles broke up, and I don't think that it's a great system, but I'm still glad that I upgraded to the Bose on my c230.

I wanted to keep the factory warranty, so I decided to wait on ripping out the whole damn thing, which only left the stock vs. Bose question, and the Bose ain't great, but it's much better than stock.
Dude...Check out Candy Dulfer's "Saxuality" CD...you're in for a surprise! Beatles? I'm not THAT old...I only have about 6 years on ya sonny!
Old 12-18-2001, 12:13 AM

2002 C230k
IMO the bose is a nice system...
you MUST have a cd player (preferably the option changer or direct plug in) ... this i where the sound tends to sound great...
i am used to loud systems and deep bass (my old car had a 10" bazooka w/ a jl audio in it, and pioneers all around w/ a panasonic head unit)
but i feel the bose is clear and crisp... sounds fine in the coupe

ryan
Old 12-18-2001, 12:21 AM

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
my BOSE experiences are limited to the C230 and an ML320...

the C230 was pretty inadequate for a "modern" music listener, the system in the ML was adequate, and my dad loves it for the jazz he listens too (he's pretty picky... has Boston Acoustics in his vehicle). the system seemed really well suited for low-volume listening and AM radio with excellent voice reproduction.

In comparsion to (soon to be) my Z3 H/K system (hard-top on), the H/K was much better at higher volumes and had good bass response. (it helps that there is a woofer behind each seat). I may eventually repalce the speakers with better-quality units (more power handling), but it could go without.
Old 12-18-2001, 12:31 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
I really enjoy the Bose system in the Sedan. I think it's great the way it is. Crisp, clean, no distortion, at any volume level, and I like audio pilot just fine. I agree with madryan, the CD really makes the most of the system

I'd be more concerned that there hasn't been any good contemporary music to play on it since 1991. And yes, tommy, I do remember where I was the first night the Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan show. As for the first time I heard Nirvana... well, "nevermind."
Old 06-07-2007, 12:51 PM

Mercedes- Bose

Is there any way too adjust the sound of the bose system beyond level of treble, base, fade? I was wondering if you could seperatly adjust the volume of each speaker and my system needs more bass? any ideas?
Old 06-07-2007, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
Originally Posted by kmegl
Is there any way too adjust the sound of the bose system beyond level of treble, base, fade? I was wondering if you could seperatly adjust the volume of each speaker and my system needs more bass? any ideas?
I remember seeing a thread that explained how to get the most bass out of the Bose system. I don't feel like digging it up right now but maybe you can find it. It may have been in the audio and electronics part of the forum.