C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C280 luxury vs ES250

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280 luxury vs ES350

I'm going to purchase a new auto in the next 4-6 months and am doing my research now. Like everyone else, I'm looking for the perfect do everything car. However, I put quietness & comfort at the top of my list.

With that said, how does the C280 lux compare to the Lexus. I like the looks of the MB better, but I don't want to be disappointed due to ride quality & sound level. I ride a lot of miles & want a very relaxing ride. Also, I 'm aware of the new W204, but from the pics I've seen so far I think I like the 203 better and hopefully all the gremlins have been worked out by now on the existing model.

One last item. I'm assuming the 230 would definately be more sport oriented like a 325i I once owned - Correct?

thanks for any & all input,
Michael

Last edited by mwike; 05-21-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:04 PM

Metro Card : (
It's best you go to the dealer and drive both cars yourself versus what we have to say.

However, I can tell you this, my (now old) C230 SS was 10x quieter than my mother's Toyota Avalon (a dressed down Lex).

Overall reliability will likely be with the Lexus, but I doubt it would drive as smooth as the Benz.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
for quietness and comfort, as in a somewhat disconnected experience, i would suggest the ES350. The C280, although it is the luxury version of the C-Class, will still give you much more road feel than a Lexus would.

Another thing to consider is that the ES350 is a FWD car and the C280 is a RWD car. If you plan on driving in the snow, the ES will most likley perform better.

The current C230 will feel much like a BMW, possibly even stiffer and sportier than a 325i, if you didn't have the Sport Package.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by jsloan01
It's best you go to the dealer and drive both cars yourself versus what we have to say.

However, I can tell you this, my (now old) C230 SS was 10x quieter than my mother's Toyota Avalon (a dressed down Lex).

Overall reliability will likely be with the Lexus, but I doubt it would drive as smooth as the Benz.
Actually, my C230SS is way louder than the Toyota Avalon 1995 we had in the family once before. I find that German cars are much noisier than the civilized Japanese cars. However, I like a little bit of noise to tell me what the car is doing. For example, the Rolls Royce is a tad bit too quiet for me to actually have fun driving it. It's like a silent deadly missile.

The Lexus will be more comfortable on straight roads. However, the Lexus will be far less comfortable in the turns and bends. Also, in acceleration, the Lexus might give your passengers a whiplash jolt, and the entire car will squat more and dive more upon acceleration and braking, respectively.

These two cars are totally different from one another. The Lexus is obviously bigger (more midsize compared to the C-Class which is compact). The Lexus will be more reliable, although their reliability is not what it used to be anymore (transmission problems in the LS430, problems in other Japanese companies such as HOnda and Acura) etc.

For a good balance of comfort, safety, stability, and driveability; go for the C Class. If you only want comfort when the car is virtually still and not moving, go for the Lexus ES350.

Last point, I could never feel safe in a front wheel drive car. Even if it was a Volvo. Front wheel drive cars are just wrong.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by patrick_y

These two cars are totally different from one another. The Lexus is obviously bigger (more midsize compared to the C-Class which is compact).
I know the C-Class is small & better handling, but I am hoping it has long range comfort at a level close to the Lexus as well. Sometimes these things are hard to tell on a relatively short test drive.

Thanks to everyone who has shared their opinions - it really does help.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by patrick_y
Last point, I could never feel safe in a front wheel drive car. Even if it was a Volvo. Front wheel drive cars are just wrong.
FWD cars are just as safe as RWD cars in a crash. Understeer is easier to correct than oversteer. FWD also performs better in adverse conditions, given the same tire sizes, weight balance, and tire compounds.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by e1000
FWD cars are just as safe as RWD cars in a crash. Understeer is easier to correct than oversteer. FWD also performs better in adverse conditions, given the same tire sizes, weight balance, and tire compounds.
That and RWD is much better when it comes to performance.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:12 AM

2004 E55 AMG
If comfort & quietness is your priority, drop the lexus from the list and go for either a loaded toyota avalon or camry. The camry is pretty much the same as the lexus, the avalon is just a bigger version of that; both are cheaper than the lexus - as long as you don't mind losing the "prestige" badge.

From my experience with avalons, they are unusually quiet and disconnected. It's almost like you're not driving a car. Seats are very soft and comfortable, like sitting in a lounge chair. Lots more leg & shoulder space than any C-Class.

These two cars (Lexus ES and MBZ C-Class) are not really cars you can compare; if you want a sporty compact car and enjoy driving - C-Class... on the other hand if you want a nice cruiser / commuting car then the Lexus/Toyota variants do an excellent job.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
I suggest the new ES250 for comfort and ride quality. as of handeling, the C280LS,

Lexus always have more "luxurious" interiors compared to MB. The ES250 is a bigger car, u'll be more comfty. and quietness, the lexus is very quiet. Lexus always have a high resale value. If i were you, i'd go with the ES250
Old 05-22-2006, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I took a close look at the Lexus and the Toyota variants, and was not impressed with build quality, comfort, and ease of driving. I am tall, and could not see to the rear properly. The seats must seem wonderful for anyone under 150 lbs, but for me it seemed to be a pinch. I thought the driving position and pedals were OK, but the wheel when adjusted blocked the gauges. Front wheel drive puts me off. I just feel like I am "horsing" the front end around too much for comfort. It is a feeling that at any moment it might get away from you much like when driving a team of horses with a stagecoach.

I find the C wagons I drive to be wonderful cars. Like a motorized sofa. The seats fit my Teutonic backside wonderfully, the car goes where you point it, and you always seem to have control over the road. The cabin comfort and appointments are so much nicer than the Toyota offerings, in that they are "old world" comfort, rather than the "mustard and chrome" look and feel of the ES350.

Lastly, in ten years the Benz will still be stylish, but the Lexus will have the same dated look that older Toyota products have.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went to a Lexus driving event a few years ago. I got to drive it on a comfort loop and a performance loop. I can tell you that out of 9 cars, the only one I disliked more was the Acura. After driving many of the ES's competitors, I went out and got the C. If you want that boulevard ride for long trips on soft seats but still retain good handling, the Lincoln LS was far better than anything I drove. For day to day driving, commuting, weekend trips through the twisties, the C is a great choice. Personally I prefer the look of the Sport Sedan (C230 or C350) but that's all personal choice.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
I went to a Lexus driving event a few years ago. I got to drive it on a comfort loop and a performance loop. I can tell you that out of 9 cars, the only one I disliked more was the Acura. After driving many of the ES's competitors, I went out and got the C. If you want that boulevard ride for long trips on soft seats but still retain good handling, the Lincoln LS was far better than anything I drove. For day to day driving, commuting, weekend trips through the twisties, the C is a great choice. Personally I prefer the look of the Sport Sedan (C230 or C350) but that's all personal choice.
I never really liked the ES, the only LEXUS i ever liked was the GS and the IS.
but...its still a toyota.

as of acura, such things like the TSX is just a "Euro-Accord" so theres really no diff either.

but its true that LEXUS is so comfty!
Old 05-23-2006, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You can compare prices on my site (see sig).

I haven't driven the new ES yet. Like someone else here, I drove the old ES at a Lexus event, and it was a boat. Worst there, followed by the Acura. Even the big LS handled much better, owing to much better balance (and the optional sport suspension).

I also haven't driven the C in Lux form. In Sport form it is definitely more like a BMW than a Lexus. I drove the 230, with lacks oomph. 350 no doubt much better, though pricey. Sadly 3.0 not offered in Sport trim. But that wouldn't be best for you, anyway. Except possibly for the more attractive wheels.

In your position I would insist on extended test drives in any car you're considering. Drive the car on the same highways you usually drive on. Some tires just don't get along with some road surfaces.