C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

PLEASE HELP!!! Headlight replacement = major problem!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE HELP!!! Headlight replacement = major problem!!

I got a pair of DEPO headlights that I wanted to install (switching from the stock frosted lights on my 01' 240). Took it to my mechanic to install. He switched the lights (took off the bumper, took out the old ones, put the new ones in). We started the car to see them light up, only to find that they didn't work. The high/low and daytime lights didn't work!!!! Neither did the front left side marker. He disconnected the connector and plugged it into the old factory headlight and that didnt work either!!!

He had no idea what happened. He took it to the dealership...ran some computer test on it..the print out said for each part that wasn't lighting up. The headlight is not working, or there is a short or open circuit?!?!

He is telling me that the computer that controls the headlights is blown, or somehow malfunctioning. He put a tool and touched each area of the connector (from the car) was no power coming from it.

He is saying that the computer needs to be changed and thinks its the aftermarket headlight that blew it.

I am no mechanic....so i don't know what to believe. Does this make any sense to anyone?!? Is something like this even possible...i'm not sure I totally trust him. He is saying he did everything right and that there is nothing he could have done differently to prevent this.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm so angry and have no idea what to do or what to believe. Is it the headlights? Did he do something? Should he have done something differently? Please let me know.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:42 AM

//WALD C320 Magnifique [sold], BMW Z4 3.0i 6spd[sold]
he doesnt know how to install it right, bring it to another mechanic. Or he just wants to screw you up.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
check the fuse.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:00 PM

its electrical...so there is no fuse on it. he's a mercedes mechanic...so i think he knows what he's doing...but i just cant understand how connecting a headlight can blow the computer. does anyone with some electrical or mercedes specific mechanical experience know if that is possible? or have even heard of soemthing like this happening?
Old 06-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Viper163
its electrical...so there is no fuse on it.
How does this statement make sense? Most electrical wiring has a fuse that it is connected to. I suggest checking the fuse box first.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:25 PM

sorry...i just realized that didnt make any sense. from reading the sheet that comes in the fuse box...next to high beam and low beam headlights, instead of listing the fuse # it just says electrical. indicating that there is no fuse for it.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
sorry...i just realized that didnt make any sense. from reading the sheet that comes in the fuse box...next to high beam and low beam headlights, instead of listing the fuse # it just says electrical. indicating that there is no fuse for it.
Oh, that makes much more sense now. Isn't there a secondary fuse box? I could've sworn there is a fuse for the headlights/foglights, but I could be wrong.

Either way, I hope they're able to figure it out, cuz that is Really strange that the headlamp connection could short out the entire system.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
If and when you have bent pins/connection one could do all kinds of damage. If enough force is exerted these could straighten out and those not knowing will assume exactly what is posted.

P.S.
There have been enough posts about MB service and the capabilities that that kind of statement, he is a MB mechanic, is .............
Old 06-08-2006, 12:20 AM

that seems like a very valid reason for what might be going on. I definitely appreciate the help. I'll check it out tomorrow.

P.S...i'm glad i'm not the only one who was thinking that :P
Old 06-08-2006, 02:51 PM

2001 C240
I got a pair of DEPO headlights that I wanted to install (switching from the stock frosted lights on my 01' 240). Took it to my mechanic to install. He switched the lights (took off the bumper, took out the old ones, put the new ones in). We started the car to see them light up, only to find that they didn't work. The high/low and daytime lights didn't work!!!! Neither did the front left side marker. He disconnected the connector and plugged it into the old factory headlight and that didnt work either!!!

He had no idea what happened. He took it to the dealership...ran some computer test on it..the print out said for each part that wasn't lighting up. The headlight is not working, or there is a short or open circuit?!?!

He is telling me that the computer that controls the headlights is blown, or somehow malfunctioning. He put a tool and touched each area of the connector (from the car) was no power coming from it.

He is saying that the computer needs to be changed and thinks its the aftermarket headlight that blew it.

I am no mechanic....so i don't know what to believe. Does this make any sense to anyone?!? Is something like this even possible...i'm not sure I totally trust him. He is saying he did everything right and that there is nothing he could have done differently to prevent this.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm so angry and have no idea what to do or what to believe. Is it the headlights? Did he do something? Should he have done something differently? Please let me know.

And this is a conversion using the stock bulbs that were in the previous headlights before!? I've never ever heard of that. I've had problems with the whole upgrading to the HID kit thing with those same headlights, but never thought that using stock bulbs would burn out the whole lighting system.

Good luck with that... if you were w/in the Los Angeles area, i've got a mechanic i can refer you to. PM me if you're interested.

Happy modding!
Old 06-08-2006, 06:17 PM

talked to my mechanic today. he is sure its not the pins or a connection problem. he says no power is coming from the computer which controls the headlights. he is sure its the computer. I cant go check it out myself today but I will tomorrow and we'll see what happens

also i'm located in Toronto, but thanks for the offer.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Were your keys in the ignition when he changed the assemblies? There are several separate plugs for each of the varius bulbs in the headlight assemblies, so I can believe there is an upstream (fuse or computer) problem if none of them work (not likely the harnesses). Do check the fuse blocks. the paper chart mapping them is in the driver's side fuse block left side of the dash.

I'm no "Mercedes Mechanics" but I had no problem at all when switching my 2001 headlights for 2006's.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:43 PM

Yes, as a matter of fact the keys were in the ignition when he changed the lights. Any reason why you asked? I'm trying to determine what could have caused the problem, and if there was something he could have done to avoid it. Any insight into it would help.

I did check the chart mapping as well...and I posted above, next to the headlights on the list it says Electrical, instead of a fuse #.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

does the car give you an error when you start the car? did you try reseting by removing power "disconect yoyr battery for a 1 min"
Old 06-09-2006, 03:57 PM

it gives about 5 errors all regarding the headlights. High/low x 2, and one for the left side marker.

didn't try resetting/disconnecting the battery. i dont see how it would help, but it wouldnt hurt either so i'll try it.

also, can you post a pic of your car without the sephia setting...is it silver or the champagne colour? i'm getting the same grille, just want to see how it looks on the silver. very nice car btw!!
Old 06-09-2006, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

make sure that all the bulbs are also good. if the computer see to much voltage drop it will shut down the lights. use your old bulb.

just click on my link for the pics

Last edited by Trekman; 06-09-2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 Coupe
Headlights use a self reseting circuit breaker. If the computer controling the headlights is truely blown, I would ask the installing mechanic if something got grounded in the installation process.

Before replacing the computer,
1. I would check the fuses to the computer
2. Check the headlight relays
3. Check the headlight circuit breakers.

I can't imagine the headlight computer being damaged by an improper install. It should be well isolated from the lights via the relays. However, I don't know how the system was engineered, so anything is possible.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:54 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Yes, as a matter of fact the keys were in the ignition when he changed the lights. Any reason why you asked? I'm trying to determine what could have caused the problem, and if there was something he could have done to avoid it.
These cars have become so laden with sensitive electronic components... you should NEVER leave the key in the ignition when doing any electric-related work on the car. When the ignition coil senses the key in the ignition, the car powers-up several systems in anticipation of being driven.

Key left in the ignition has caused several functional electonic problems in the past, many documented on these forums. I don't recall any headlight deactivation because of this. But it's always a good policy to remove the keys from the ignition when doing any work on the car.