C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Command crappier than std radio?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 01:52 AM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Command crappier than std radio?

Ok guys/gals - I just picked up my loaner car (also an 06 C280 4matic with harmon kardon sound system)... pretty much exactly my car minus the command navigation system, and ipod kit. Low and behold - this loaner's stereo system pounds!... I mean, it literally sounds like there is a subwoofer in the trunk. What I noticed is that the speakers in the doors do not seem to "attempt" to play the deep notes as much as mine do... (mine have significant vibration that you can feel) and when it goes down past a certain frequency, where my car cuts out, this loaner has the subwoofer filling in the bottom of the bottom with a nice deep sound. Is there something wrong with my stereo system I should be complaining about while its in for service or is this merely a difference (albeit a really REALLY crappy difference) between the command and standard CD radios...

... or have they done a half way model change with the stereo systems, and 06.5 (perish the thought), or possibly a firmware/software update for older 05/06 radios that could fix this? I was contemplating a subwoofer (small one) in the trunk, but after hearing the sound from this loaner car, I'm wondering why mine is so lacking.

Hoping for some feedback ASAP as my car is in for service tomorrow (Friday)...

- Eric
Old 06-30-2006, 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
I have an 05 with the H/K audio system and no Navigation system.

The subwoofer is too loud. It's usually alright when I have classical music (unless in some Baroque pieces). In music that requires a lot of bass, there is too much bass that it's to the point of bothersome.

Thus, I normally have to turn my subwoofer to -2 to prevent myself from hearing rattles with my music.

I hope this answers your question. I'm not sure if the Navigation system does anything to the audio system, but I do know that my car without the navigation system has a subwoofer that seems to be working too well.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:17 AM

2020 GLC300 4MATIC
You are correct... it does seem overly boomy, but it gave me an instant flashback to my car audio hooking-up days. It quite literally sounds like there is a nice strong subwoofer with the other speakers not having to work as hard... all in all, its a nice combo even if the bass has to be set at a negative... I've heard from others re: rattling issues that you can stuff something in the back dash (filler foam material or whatnot) which helps the rattles and also makes the sound clearer.

Well, my service guy just called me, I told him about my Audio Please Wait... and Audio "----" woes (and also that when this happens my navigation gets stuck and can't navigate me home -- granted I shouldn't rely on it as much as I do, but it got my kind of lost in NY the other day... complete with a car full of people I was driving making fun of my Benz because of the "glitch"). Mentioned that it could be an error from the ipod kit in the fiber optic network, since I have done a wee bit of research.

Also mentioned the difference in SQ between my loaner and my car ... he said there have been several software updates so he needs to see what versions my car is at, and we'll go from there...

Here's hoping!

- Eric
Old 06-30-2006, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 BMW 535Xi; Retired 02 C230 Sport Coupe
For what its worth my subwoofer in my 02 coupe with BOSE had to be totalled replaced when it ceased functioning for no apparent reason--covered under warranty. Radio still sounded the same but the bottom end was missing; almost like the stock radio but still better.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 SS
i have a '05 with the h/k too. i find the bass to be weak. i even have it set to +10, and still not good enough. i guess to each its own. im saving my pennies to add a woofer, the mids and highs are pretty good in this system.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
You sure you're not getting rattling noises when you have your Bass set to +10? I get rattling noises at only +2.

It is possible that your subwoofer is broken or installed improperly.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 SS
oh no, trust me i get some crazy *** rattles with the bass set to 10+ in the rear with the subwoofer. ive tried numerous times to have the dealer fix that, when i take it in i dont have it at 10+, i leave it at 0, and it still rattles. they told me from 2 different dealers that, thats the way it was designed and they cant do much within warranty limits. so i took it upon myself to just stick my 100 cd case on top of the area were the woofer is at, and voila, it reduces rattling by a lot. its a ghetto fix, but hey it was free and it will hold me over until i can get a proper sub.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:17 AM

2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Obviously we have no way of telling differences in bass levels and volumes since we don't have all of our cars together compairing... but here's basically what I'm interested to find out...

1) Do you have the Harmon Kardon stereo system, and with Command NAV head unit or standard in-dash CD head unit?

2) Do you get rattles (I for one do not because my bass frequencies don't seem to be going down low enough for that to happen)?

3) Have you heard / compared the harmon kardon with both head units re: sound quality - perhaps when you had a loaner, etc?

I just got my car back from service, and checked out my subwoofer in the back dash - sure enough, its vibrating and making noise... but it certainly does not hit as low a frequency as the same sub was hitting with the standard head unit. I'm just trying to determine if this is differences between sound processing of the two head units or if there might be something wrong with my amplifier for the sub.

Many thanks to you all...
- Eric
Old 07-01-2006, 02:05 PM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
from my understanding, the H/K system is basically the same unit as the standard unit...just w/ an extra subwoofer on the rear deck and some extra power. i have the comand nav unit w/ HK and the bass response is very week. plus, the entire deck and speaker grilles rattle like crazy so the dealer installed some sound deadening material on the entire rear shelf and no more rattle even with bass set at +10 with techno music. but i still wasn't pleased with the bass response so i added a Infiniti basslink to the system and now it sounds alot better without waking up the neighborhood.