C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

MERCEDEZ or BMW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 BMW X3M Comp
Originally Posted by patrick_y
This is why I love AMEX, you have to pay it in every month.
No you don't... but I do agree with the rest of your post.

And I say get the BMW. IMO, the 3 series is the only decent looking car they make
Old 07-17-2006, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by TA-9FF
You should come to Dallas, Patrick. You'll find the same thing happening here. I definitely agree with you that wealthy people are often also the least ostentatious. In Dallas we have lots of $30,000 Millionaires living here. Nice, eh?
I have to say, some parts of Dallas make me feel more at home than even here in Silicon Valley. The Southern atmosphere present in Dallas is very polite and traditional. Perfect for my conservative self.

Everybody says I should try Atlanta, they say I'd like the conservative and traditional Southern atmosphere.

A very well off friend I know of, (who is wealthy enough that they have their own family foundation) has five cars in her driveway (it's a lady). A Toyota Tundra truck, Volvo S80, Lexus LS430, Hummer H2, and some sort of European convertible.

Now, you might think, Hummer H2, kind of a flashy car, the car screams for attention. The reason why she acquired that car is because the windshield is very small and narrow, many Oriental races believe staying as white as possible (minimal tan) is more attractive. Thus, she likes the Hummer because she thinks there is less tanning to be done in that car.

The convertible? She's had it for 10 months. It's only got 900 miles on it. It's the dog transporter.

Her daily driver is a Volvo S80.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by NY C32

And I say get the BMW. IMO, the 3 series is the only decent looking car they make
American Express is famous for one product, it's charge card. The charge cards have to be repaid every month. Today, American Express has expanded to offering all sorts of credit cards, some that can carry a balance.

But as for me, I still utilize the charge card.

I agree that the 3 series is the only decent car they make. However, you'd be surprised, all of my 3 series owning friends (specifically the coupe model) all complain that one or both of their exterior blinker lights have fallen out of the body work.

Seriously, this is too obvious of a question. A 2003 C240 vs a 2006 325i, this question hardly needs to be asked. 325i all the way.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
You should come to Dallas, Patrick. You'll find the same thing happening here. I definitely agree with you that wealthy people are often also the least ostentatious. In Dallas we have lots of $30,000 Millionaires living here. Nice, eh?
Another thing, while I live in spite of people who drive large cars with tiny bank accounts, I really don't mind.

Actually I do mind somewhat as this Mercedes R350 driver yesterday wanted to show off his car and overtook me in a no passing zone in a very rude way. I think this person made a wrong decision to conduct a very unsafe passing in a no passing zone on a sloped onramp to the highway. I think this is inconsiderate and potentially dangerous.

But the thing is, I don't mind too much. These "posers," "thugs," and "pimps" who believe it is necessary to have a nice car are only digging themselves in a larger hole of revolving debt.

Now I'm not a Shylock. Wouldn't want to be one even though it's a very profitable enterprise. But, debt, in itself does create the motivation for more people to work hard. This means that the things you buy will be cheaper because the labour is cheap.

Another thing, unhappy people always complain that life isn't fair. Well, I think life is TOO FAIR. Think about it, Warren Buffet drives on the same roads and highways as you and me. Even he would be subjected to experience road rage. He does have a chauffeur in New York.

Last edited by patrick_y; 07-17-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:01 PM

2006 C230 2.5 V6

You might want to enlighten her that tanning rays do not penetrate glass.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by Gentlemanjim
You might want to enlighten her that tanning rays do not penetrate glass.
Personally, I was thinking the same thing. But you'll see in many parts of California with Oriental drivers, they often wear as much as possible to prevent tanning, especially the ladies.

Oh well, if it makes her happy. Sometimes the psychological thought is enough.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:24 PM

Poser- not the best description, and not meant to be a pesonal attack, I'm the opposite of a snob. But I'm sure some do..I already know about low/high price vs. quality...

But some people buy things based on looks from this board who have admited it and not necessarily on what they should get.

It's just human nature...the whole package is very nice indeed. Just using some common sense.. and that's my opinon. MB is greedy for not uping the engine when they could of easily done so with all the competition out there..They seem to react to competition instead of leading it by what's beating them out there. When they react again, its half hearted.

Just like the 2007's. Why would they use FlexFuel on the c230 but not on the c350? It's half hearted and doesn't make sense, if that is the case.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
American Express is famous for one product, it's charge card. The charge cards have to be repaid every month. Today, American Express has expanded to offering all sorts of credit cards, some that can carry a balance.

But as for me, I still utilize the charge card.

I agree that the 3 series is the only decent car they make. However, you'd be surprised, all of my 3 series owning friends (specifically the coupe model) all complain that one or both of their exterior blinker lights have fallen out of the body work.

Seriously, this is too obvious of a question. A 2003 C240 vs a 2006 325i, this question hardly needs to be asked. 325i all the way.
All personal Amex cards, including their traditional charge cards, allow members to carry over a balance on charges over $200. Its been like that since 2000.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Yup, Amex isn't what it used to be either, plus more and more places aren't accepting it becuase of their high merchant fees.

Erik
Old 07-17-2006, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Wow, I did not know that. I should read that little pamphlet they give me more thoroughly. Yes, I started only about a year or two ago, well past year 2000.

In any case, I wouldn't carry a balance on the credit card. I don't think I could afford to pay that shylock back.

Besides, I don't need to acquire any more stuff. Honestly, we buy much more than what we need.

Last edited by patrick_y; 07-17-2006 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by dmg3
Poser- not the best description, and not meant to be a pesonal attack, I'm the opposite of a snob. But I'm sure some do..I already know about low/high price vs. quality...

But some people buy things based on looks from this board who have admited it and not necessarily on what they should get.

It's just human nature...the whole package is very nice indeed. Just using some common sense.. and that's my opinon. MB is greedy for not uping the engine when they could of easily done so with all the competition out there..They seem to react to competition instead of leading it by what's beating them out there. When they react again, its half hearted.

Just like the 2007's. Why would they use FlexFuel on the c230 but not on the c350? It's half hearted and doesn't make sense, if that is the case.
Very true indeed. But human life is like that, sometimes we buy what we want, even when we really don't need it. Honestly, does anybody need a 12 cylinder sports car? Very few people actually "need" one.

Totally agree with you on the Mercedes part. Today, it's hard to say if Mercedes is actually the "leader" in cars anymore. They always wait until the competition bests them and then they react; however in the past, it was Mercedes who set the benchmark. I haven't thought about this in a while, thanks for bringing this up.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by tifosiv122
Yup, Amex isn't what it used to be either, plus more and more places aren't accepting it becuase of their high merchant fees.

Erik
Personally I've had nothing but bad experiences with AMEX.

1.) At Neiman Marcus, I wanted to buy some cologne, and I gave them my Discover Platinum card, which they replied "Oh we only take AMEX, sorry." Idiots. They gave up a sale because I don't have an AMEX? I guess my money ain't worth that much at Neiman Marcus.......

2.) I kept getting AMEX letters in the mail asking me to sign up for their cards. I finally gave in and applied, only to get a letter back saying they didn't receive my information. I called them, gave them my information over the phone, and expected my card to be in my mailbox in a few weeks.
Too bad I got another letter saying they didn't receive my information 2 weeks later. If AMEX is this incompetent with doing basic tasks such as getting personal information for their application, I'd hate to trust them with my personal finances.

3.) I told my parents about the recent degradation of brain power at AMEX, seeing how my parents both have AMEX Gold cards. They told me it was probably a fluke, but they understood my situation.

Then they received letters in the mail stating they needed to update their personal info........

F* AMEX. I've never had problems with my CitiBusiness Platinum nor my Discover cards. And they're accepted in more places than AMEX, which IMHO is a snooty company that seems to have retrograded their ability to provide world-class customer service.

Last edited by TA-9FF; 07-18-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
yea, Neiman Marcus is a great company, I just wished they accepted more cards. Sometimes I want miles on the VISA.

Yes, if AMEX is losing your personal information, I'd be very worried. This incompetence reflects the possibility of identity theft of AMEX clients.

I wonder if Neiman Marcus still accepts Diner's Club. They don't even accept the Stratus Rewards Visa card (the AMEX Experion Black Card competitor).
Old 07-19-2006, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Personally I've had nothing but bad experiences with AMEX.

1.) At Neiman Marcus, I wanted to buy some cologne, and I gave them my Discover Platinum card, which they replied "Oh we only take AMEX, sorry." Idiots. They gave up a sale because I don't have an AMEX? I guess my money ain't worth that much at Neiman Marcus.......
You could've opened a Neimans charge card or paid cash. To me, its kinda like when you go somewhere that doesn't accept Amex. There is a pretty expensive steakhouse here in NYC called Peter Luger...they don't accept any credit cards except their own.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:21 AM

Is @ Home
isn't the reasons why most ppl go into debt is because it gives them a way to get what they can't really afford (except for paying off your student loans ). i don't want to say my parents are wealthy or anything but they could afford nice luxury cars but instead they opted to get practical cars. but then again my mom having 2 cars and my dad 4 doesn't really help my statement, but they are all japanese cars.

different ppl buy difference cars otherwise everyone would be driving a prius (for gas/environmental reasons of course)
Old 07-19-2006, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
You could've opened a Neimans charge card or paid cash. To me, its kinda like when you go somewhere that doesn't accept Amex. There is a pretty expensive steakhouse here in NYC called Peter Luger...they don't accept any credit cards except their own.
I never really cared to open the Neimans Card because you don't get miles. Well, you can still get the 5000 miles with $5000 spent per fiscal year. But if you use a credit card, you can get that and whatever your credit card gives you.

Come to think of it, I usually still prefer other credit cards. I only use the AMEX when I have to at Neimans, while travelling, and at Costco.

I have never dined at Peter Luger. Do you recommend it? Next time when I'm in town, hopefully the conceirge can get a reservation there. I've been let down by the Zagat guide a few times. Can't wait for the Michelin guide to get there.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Can't wait for the Michelin guide to get there.
The Michelin guide came last December
As far as Peter Luger, I'd check it out but as I tell all my out of town visitors, the waiters are old school and can be a little short with people that order like retards: " ummm, I'll have the uhhhhh. Let me see... Get me the uhhhh, oh boy this is hard. Ummm, is the porterhouse really good?hmmmm is ther any way I can get a smaller portion? I'm still a little full from lunch in little Italy. Okay, hmmm.... I guess I'll take that."
Old 07-19-2006, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
The Michelin guide came last December
As far as Peter Luger, I'd check it out but as I tell all my out of town visitors, the waiters are old school and can be a little short with people that order like retards: " ummm, I'll have the uhhhhh. Let me see... Get me the uhhhh, oh boy this is hard. Ummm, is the porterhouse really good?hmmmm is ther any way I can get a smaller portion? I'm still a little full from lunch in little Italy. Okay, hmmm.... I guess I'll take that."
If I were a waiter, I'd get a bit short myself. Personally, I'm used to people knowing what they want.

Thanks for the information. I didn't know the Michelin guide came already, it was mentioned in the Robb Report magazine a few months ago, but I didn't thoroughly read the article.

Anything else I should try besides Peter Luger? I appreciate the first hand knowledge, all I've tried so far is Le Cirque, wasn't too impressed, but I tried the one in Las Vegas. Then again, I wasn't impressed when I was at Simpsons in London either.

Hopefully, I'll remember to bring cash to settle the bill at Peter Luger, too used to credit cards, which unfortunately Peter Luger will not accept.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 SS
i'll give my $.02 here.
i test drove a 2006 330i sedan with the sports package back in december 2005, right b4 i decided on my current car. friend of mine, her dad is a manager at a bmw dealer and i came over to check out what they had, he told me since i took the trip might as well test drive a car. so i complied. it was fully loaded, leather, bluetooth, navi etc. automatic.i didnt particulary like the look of the car, looks kinda weird. ok on with the test drive. car was loaded with 4 people. when i gunned it, it wasnt that fast, it was very smooth yes, but i didnt feel the 'kick' i get when i put my foot down on my c230. maybe because its a heavier car and it was loaded with 4 people. it handled wonderfully though, like it was on rails. interior was nice, more of a luxurious interion than my c230. wood etc. so if the trade was fair, i would take the bmw, because its newer. the bmw did feel 'tighter' than ,my benz
Old 07-19-2006, 07:38 PM

Patrick_y...

are you asian?

if so, i find it interesting that you would refer to yourself and your peers as oriental.

last time i checked, the term oriental was the flavor of top ramen.

check on any given application be it for a job, school, or even credit, oriental is not a word that is socially acceptable.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by seoulbrova
are you asian?

if so, i find it interesting that you would refer to yourself and your peers as oriental.

last time i checked, the term oriental was the flavor of top ramen.

check on any given application be it for a job, school, or even credit, oriental is not a word that is socially acceptable.
Well, to be honest, I don't like it when people refer to myself as "Asian" either. But I wouldn't post a reply about it just for that case.

None of my associates find it unusual when I say the word Oriental, this is the first time I've heard that someone found it "interesting."

That's your perogative, that "oriental" is a flavor of "top ramen." Maybe the word Oriental only reminds you of Top Ramen.

I think the reason why don't provide "Oriental" as a check box as an option on applications is probably because they want to know more details, such as Chinese, Japanese, Pacific Islander, Korean, etc.

Point in fact is, it's not a big deal, if you said "asian" and I found it insulting, I'd let it slide. And I really don't see how my referral of Oriental is that much of a difference.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Originally Posted by seoulbrova
oriental is not a word that is socially acceptable.
Yep. That is what dictionary.com says.

------

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/oriental

Oriental Often Offensive. An Asian.

ori·ental·ly adv.
Usage Note: Asian is now strongly preferred in place of Oriental for persons native to Asia or descended from an Asian people. The usual objection to Orientalmeaning “eastern”is that it identifies Asian countries and peoples in terms of their location relative to Europe. However, this objection is not generally made of other Eurocentric terms such as Near and Middle Eastern. The real problem with Oriental is more likely its connotations stemming from an earlier era when Europeans viewed the regions east of the Mediterranean as exotic lands full of romance and intrigue, the home of despotic empires and inscrutable customs. At the least these associations can give Oriental a dated feel, and as a noun in contemporary contexts (as in the first Oriental to be elected from the district) it is now widely taken to be offensive. However, Oriental should not be thought of as an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations. As with Asiatic, its use other than as an ethnonym, in phrases such as Oriental cuisine or Oriental medicine, is not usually considered objectionable.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by mick1
Yep. That is what dictionary.com says.

------

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/oriental

Oriental Often Offensive. An Asian.

ori·ental·ly adv.
Usage Note: Asian is now strongly preferred in place of Oriental for persons native to Asia or descended from an Asian people. The usual objection to Orientalmeaning “eastern”is that it identifies Asian countries and peoples in terms of their location relative to Europe. However, this objection is not generally made of other Eurocentric terms such as Near and Middle Eastern. The real problem with Oriental is more likely its connotations stemming from an earlier era when Europeans viewed the regions east of the Mediterranean as exotic lands full of romance and intrigue, the home of despotic empires and inscrutable customs. At the least these associations can give Oriental a dated feel, and as a noun in contemporary contexts (as in the first Oriental to be elected from the district) it is now widely taken to be offensive. However, Oriental should not be thought of as an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations. As with Asiatic, its use other than as an ethnonym, in phrases such as Oriental cuisine or Oriental medicine, is not usually considered objectionable.
Hmm, well I'll be darned.

I really don't know what to say to that, my protocol and rhetoric is usually fairly accurate but this Asian/Oriental matter eludes me.

I shall follow the current times and make an effort to use the word "Asian" from now on. Never expected to learn something like this on a car forum.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:55 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by drho2004
i'll give my $.02 here.
i test drove a 2006 330i sedan with the sports package back in december 2005, right b4 i decided on my current car. friend of mine, her dad is a manager at a bmw dealer and i came over to check out what they had, he told me since i took the trip might as well test drive a car. so i complied. it was fully loaded, leather, bluetooth, navi etc. automatic.i didnt particulary like the look of the car, looks kinda weird. ok on with the test drive. car was loaded with 4 people. when i gunned it, it wasnt that fast, it was very smooth yes, but i didnt feel the 'kick' i get when i put my foot down on my c230. maybe because its a heavier car and it was loaded with 4 people. it handled wonderfully though, like it was on rails. interior was nice, more of a luxurious interion than my c230. wood etc. so if the trade was fair, i would take the bmw, because its newer. the bmw did feel 'tighter' than ,my benz
4 ppl vs 1 is a LOT of difference. You're hauling an extra 500-600lbs.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:25 PM

Patrick_Y

my comment wasnt to offend you in anyway as you seem like an educated person, I just wanted to clarify things on my end.

Last edited by seoulbrova; 07-20-2006 at 06:36 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MERCEDEZ or BMW