C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

02 c230k cd optical cable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C230k Cd Changer Optical Cable Help!!!!!!!!!

Ok I've read all the other posts on this topic but I cant seem to find awnsers to my question, and the local dealer is retarded!
I took my center console and radio head unit out in order to install a MBZ (optical) cd changer from ebay. I found a optical cable with a phone label on it behind my radio but no other cables. I looked in the back per other posts for a cable and nothing. I did find (with no problem) the power connector behind the head unit. Ok here is my question. Some posts say all mercedes are prewired for cd changer, others say only some. It looks like mine is not. Even if the dealer pulles thier head out and finds me the correct optical cable. How and where do I hook it up too? Please help I love my w203 but i need tunes!!!!!!!!

Last edited by robzilla69; 07-19-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:55 AM

BUMP please anyone??????
Old 07-19-2006, 09:56 AM

BUMP please anyone??????
Old 09-01-2006, 10:30 AM

Cable

Hi, I appreciate your frustrations. I too have just purchased a CD Changer & looking to install it in the glove compartment but thought that I would do some research on it before pulling anything apart. Found great pictures & instructions from user 'session' on removing the console but I can't find anything about exactly where the Fiber Optic Cable is - if it is in fact there or whether you need to buy one. Some say that it is just a simple matter of plug & play & everything works while others have had major dramas. I'll keep looking & let you know if anything turns up. Regards.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Some 2002 cars do come pre-wired for CD changer power, some later models even had the fiber optics in place. Regardless, if you bought the CD changer new from the dealer, it should have had (or they should have supplied) the fiber optics with it.

The fiber pair connected to the head unit should have two leads. One is input, the other is pass-through/output. Remember that fiber optics work on a looped light path, so light comes into a component, that piece adds it's function(s) and then the light path is extended to the next component. And be carefull....it's fragile, so don't pinch it and no sharp bends or angles.

Pull the connector from the back of the head unit and determine which is the output (my connectors were marked i and o for in/out). Carefully remove that lead from the connector and use that as the output from the CD changer to the rest of the system (Bose amp/sub/phone/teleaid...etc). Once thats done, connect a fiber between the output of the now empty socket in the head unit's connector and the input of the CD changer's connector. Carefully reconnect the head unit and cd, then connect the power lead to the CD changer, mount the assembly in the glove box shelf and stick a fork in it....it's done!

As a last step, you might want to wait on reassembling the console until after you've tested it. To perform the test, start the car, hit the CD button on the head unit and it should give you one of three messages: No Magazine, Magazine Empty...or disc#, track#, time, etc (if you preloaded a CD in the magazine).

If the No CD message still appears, turn off the stereo with the car running, wait about 15 seconds and turn it back on. The 15 seconds is needed to disipate any residual light in the fiber loop....so wait at least that long. Powering on the head unit will then re-initialize the loop and the network should now recognize the CD.

The fiber pair you found that's marked "phone" runs to the back right fender of the car. You shouldn't need to use that unless you have the phone installed.

Rock On....

Last edited by Rick; 09-01-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:58 PM

2002 W 203 C 320
Rick,
I have installed the CD unit in the glove box and when powered uo it searches for a CD, but if I plug the CD fiber optic cable into the back of the radio I have no sound. When you refer to HU are you referring to the amp or the back of the radio? I have an 02 C320 with Bose system?