C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Question on polished lips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 SS Brillant Silver
Question on polished lips

Post will probably get moved, but i figure more of us have them and other model..anyways, was the best way to get rid of scratches and prevent them in future. Love my lip but they seem to attact all kind of debris.

Last edited by jan ken po; 07-19-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
Originally Posted by jan ken po
Post will probably get moved, but i figure more of us have them and other model..anyways, was the best way to get rid of these and prevent them in future. Love my lip but they seem to attact all kind of debris.

You need to get a good rim cleaner (ones that prevents brake dust) and you need wheel wax. I would just pick this stuff up at the local autoparts store but check out tirerack.com i think they sell that wax stuff. If you do decide to wax your rims with regular car wax make sure you use synthetic. The synthetic wax can withstand higher temperatures while the regular carnuaba will just burn off. I've known many ppl who have switched to other brake pads b/c the stock ones just puts out too much dust.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre

I've been looking for it at my local Pep Boys, but I haven't found it yet... I think I'm just going to buy it from Tirerack.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:02 PM

'05 SS Brillant Silver
Glad yall read betwen the lines...yes, I meant to have the word "scratches" in there.

Last edited by jan ken po; 07-20-2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:53 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
another solution would be chrome lip.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230K '10 GLK350 '13 SMART
Originally Posted by FrankW
another solution would be chrome lip.
I would never chrome the lips. Sure it would shine and be easier to clean, but if your lazy like me and let the brake dust cake up, they will start pitting. Also If you curb one and the chrome chips off it will just start peeling and would have to get the whole lip rechromed. If its a polished lip all you need to do is send it out to get buffed out. I use some wheel polish I got at the LA Auto show. Its a wax and sealer. They were demostrating it on bottoms of soda cans and they were coming out in a mirror shine and water would glide right off. I will have to look at the bottle to get the name of it, I only use it twice a year.
If I am doing a quick job I use Eagle one Never Dull to get all the brake stains off and follow up with Meguiars after. If you use Never Dull use gloves because when you are rubbing it into the lips alot off the dirt will end up under your finger nails and won't come out for a while. My girl always get notices when I just spent time cleaning the wheels.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:47 PM

'05 SS Brillant Silver
So how much cost are we talking about to repolish a lip?

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-2006, 01:47 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
$75 around my area.

try those Mother's Mag&Aluminum polish or BlueMagic wheel polish, both of them works pretty well.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:50 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by MiKeSSw203
I would never chrome the lips. Sure it would shine and be easier to clean, but if your lazy like me and let the brake dust cake up, they will start pitting. Also If you curb one and the chrome chips off it will just start peeling and would have to get the whole lip rechromed. If its a polished lip all you need to do is send it out to get buffed out. I use some wheel polish I got at the LA Auto show. Its a wax and sealer. They were demostrating it on bottoms of soda cans and they were coming out in a mirror shine and water would glide right off. I will have to look at the bottle to get the name of it, I only use it twice a year.
If I am doing a quick job I use Eagle one Never Dull to get all the brake stains off and follow up with Meguiars after. If you use Never Dull use gloves because when you are rubbing it into the lips alot off the dirt will end up under your finger nails and won't come out for a while. My girl always get notices when I just spent time cleaning the wheels.
rubber glove is suggested if you don't want to get dirt under the finger nails, but we're man....i doubt anyone would care to wear gloves. lol

if the chrome starts to peal, etc. just bring it to a shop that can polish them out.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:21 AM

'05 SS Brillant Silver
$75 around my area.

try those Mother's Mag&Aluminum polish or BlueMagic wheel polish, both of them works pretty well.
Cool thanks, yeah I just bought thing of that Mother's. But thought I'd ask the "experts" b4 I do something stupid by accident.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:34 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by jan ken po
Cool thanks, yeah I just bought thing of that Mother's. But thought I'd ask the "experts" b4 I do something stupid by accident.
nah, you won't damage the wheels if that's what you are wondering. Just follow the instruction on the Mother's polish. pretty simple, you'll just have a sore arm by the time you are done with all 4 wheels
Old 07-21-2006, 11:20 PM

nah, you won't damage the wheels if that's what you are wondering. Just follow the instruction on the Mother's polish. pretty simple, you'll just have a sore arm by the time you are done with all 4 wheels

Also prepare at least 30-45 minutes for 4 wheels if you want to get good result.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:42 PM

'05 SS Brillant Silver
When you say prepare...u mean let the polish cure on the wheels for that long...prepare for each wheel to take that long start to finish?
Old 07-22-2006, 12:48 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
he means prepare to sit there for quite a while just cleaning the wheels. lol
Old 07-22-2006, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"Double Stuff" SOLD | Nor*Cals "Pesky Audi"
this is even more of a reason why i just want powder coated wheels
Old 07-22-2006, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Originally Posted by MiKeSSw203
I use some wheel polish I got at the LA Auto show. Its a wax and sealer. They were demostrating it on bottoms of soda cans and they were coming out in a mirror shine and water would glide right off. I will have to look at the bottle to get the name of it, I only use it twice a year.
does that stuff really work? I've seen it before at various shows, and was always skeptical. I also didnt have rims that needed polishing, so I didnt care.

I use the meguairs nxt metal polish, and it seems to work OK. It claims to protect the metal, but I dont really think it does. I might try mothers, everyone seems to think its a good product.

Also debating on one of those kits that attach to a drill, but I dont want to mess up the center