C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: MB C230k = BMW 318 ?
Yes
29.55%
NO
70.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Mb C230 "=" Bmw 318 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 07:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mb C230 "=" Bmw 318 ?

READ BEFORE U VOTE~

write ur opinions~ i believe MB C230k is going to be the dumbest introduction & just would result the same as the BMW 318~

1. ppl are uncertain about MB c230k coz they are still-hunted by the BMW 318's nightmare.

2. it might actually discourage potential C class owner from purchasing a C because they don't want to be classified with MB C230k owners (immature)

3. where is c230k's competitors? i don't see BMW or AUDI offer similar car in North A. NO competitors means NO market~

4. although age 16-22 is going to be the biggest population in US, but how many of them can afford a 30k car?

5. it is obvious dat MB is trying to use C230k to compete with toyota, honda, mazda, ford's hatchback~ but it could never be done due to its price!

6. german makers might be good at building awesome cars, but they are WAY dumb in marketing strategy compare to Japs

FINAL WORDS: it is not impossible for MB to enter compact car market~ the wise thing is to completely develop a new brand name (honda & acura, toyota & lexus) at a result, Mercedes could bring all its A-class, V-class cars to north american but not use the name Mercedes.

Last edited by psun786; 08-24-2002 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-24-2002, 07:24 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Let's see now. Among your 44 posts, you first offer us the "Poor-Man's Mercedes" Poll, and tie up about half of your post count on that subject...

Now this one. Do you enjoy stirring up trouble?

For my part, I'm not going to play. Ignoring this...

Last edited by MB-BOB; 08-24-2002 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2002, 07:31 PM
jay

2002 C230K Sports Coupe
So, exactly how do you feel about the 230? Whatever.

So, I guess MB overlooked the 30 something age group who were looking for a vehicle with unparalleled Quality and Safety, such as the C230? A market of buyers who were adding a 3rd vehicle to their collection say for themselves or even their kids, and didn't want to sacrifice the previously mentioned qualities? All of which I am.

And, as far as competing with the Japanese car manufactures, have you even looked at the production numbers for the C class vehicles as compared to those of Honda, Toyota or Ford for that matter? No where even close. I don't think MB is even trying to own that market share.

Finally, it has been said here before, but for Mercedes to create an offshoot car company such as Lexus, Acura and Infinity is absurd. MB is already a luxury line. Are you suggesting a lower class car company be created to compete? Not in my lifetime.

Your opinion is respected, but wrong nonetheless.

EDIT: Thanks to MB-Bob, I noticed your other poll. Now I think your just a trolling ***! Go Away.

Last edited by jay; 08-24-2002 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2002, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
please close the thread so this dip***** " talk about the C230" will go away

Last edited by TimmyC230boy; 08-24-2002 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2002, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
well, timmy, no need to call him names. and i think dip**** isn't on the censored list. i kind of feel sorry for psun b/c it's obvious that the mere existence of the c230k has irreparably damaged his psyche.
Old 08-24-2002, 07:52 PM
taylor192

Re: Mb C230 "=" Bmw 318 ?

1. ppl are uncertain about MB c230k coz they are still-hunted by the BMW 318's nightmare.
True, but the 318 was a completely redone car (thus the complaints about its performance and quality), the C230K borrows parts from proven parts on the existing C and SLK classes.

2. it might actually discourage potential C class owner from purchasing a C because they don't want to be classified with MB C230k owners (immature)
But won't all C-classes discourage E and S class owners from buying?

3. where is c230k's competitors? i don't see BMW or AUDI offer similar car in North A. NO competitors means NO market~
Didn't take any business classes I see. Opening a new market segment isn't a bad thing, look at the PT Cruiser, where did it fit, nowhere, and how well is it selling?

4. although age 16-22 is going to be the biggest population in US, but how many of them can afford a 30k car?
Surprisingly this car is $26K USD, and a lot of 20-25 year olds can afford that, look at how many drive Civic Si-Rs ($19K) and RSX Types Ss ($23K) but end up putting $5K of mods into them.

Also if 20-25 year olds can buy a MB now, they'll probably buy one later. Great marketing decision!

5. it is obvious dat MB is trying to use C230k to compete with toyota, honda, mazda, ford's hatchback~ but it could never be done due to its price!
How is it "obvious"? but anyways, this car competes in price with both the RSX Type S and WRX. Don't compare the C230K to a Mazda MP3 or MP5, that's crazy, not even close in options, safety, ect...

6. german makers might be good at building awesome cars, but they are WAY dumb in marketing strategy compare to Japs
Yeah, real dumb, they released a sporty hatchback which is already sold overseas into the US to fill a market that is left between the performance sport compact imports, and higher priced luxury european sedans. Wow, are they ever dumb.

Old 08-24-2002, 07:54 PM
jay

2002 C230K Sports Coupe
By the way... what's the deal with the apparent $30,000 vehicle cost to quality ratio? My coupe ended up at a tad over 30K, does that automatically elevate me to the aristocrat crowd? Cool!

Trending Topics

Old 08-24-2002, 08:03 PM
taylor192

Originally posted by jay
By the way... what's the deal with the apparent $30,000 vehicle cost to quality ratio? My coupe ended up at a tad over 30K, does that automatically elevate me to the aristocrat crowd? Cool!
My C230K is costing me $41K CND, compared to the $34K base, so that makes me an aristocrat! never knew I was rich before this! sweet!

Old 08-24-2002, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Imagine paying over $40K for a sedan when the equally competent coupe brother comes along and is only $25K. Then your friends see your 40K sedan and equate it to the the 25k sedan and this makes you mad. I see a personal issue here of having to deal with this inequity. So you take it out on the forum and compare the coupe to a lesser vehicle to make you feel proud of your purchase. But the reality is they are the same car with 2 less doors and a different motor. Calling the C-Coupe a lesser car is calling the entire C-Class family a lesser car line, which after all it is in the realm of MB. As for the 318ti, it enjoys higher resale value as percentage of original costs to it's sedan brothers.
Old 08-24-2002, 08:20 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
keep in mind that the 318ti entered the U.S. market almost ten years ago. back then there was no need for such small hatch from luxury to exist because all the market was taken by the Civic hatch and the already popular Golf, but Golf and Civic was much cheaper than the 318ti. What BMW did was testing the U.S. market to see if people can take the idea of a luxury brand making small inexpensive cars.

Unfortunely people were not interested in that kind of cars back then, beside that the 318ti was so poorly made in BMW's S. Africa plant.

In today's market where gasline price keep on raising, the idea of small compact hatch like the C-coupe that doesn't require a lot of gas is a great way to attract buyers especially when there are Honda, Toyota, and Mitsubishi that cost the same as the C-coupe.

In another word, the BMW simply has brought the 318ti too early into the U.S. market.

I think that if BMW bring their new generation of 3-series Ti model into the states the C-coupe would have some serious competition.
Old 08-24-2002, 08:41 PM

2002 CL500
Re: Mb C230 "=" Bmw 318 ?

Originally posted by psun786
READ BEFORE U VOTE~
Haha, what a looser.
Old 08-24-2002, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
Hey, did anybody notice on the last poll that psun didn't participate after he started trouble. How about no one responds to this so he doesn't get what he wants. Just RESIST the urge to respond to low-class trash posts by low-class people.
Old 08-24-2002, 09:08 PM
taylor192

I'll admit, you actually made me think more about this one.

Lets say that some people will be turned away by the presence of the "hatchback" in the C-class line-up. How many people are this "immature"? Or should I say "snobby"? (is that a word?)

I hope not many share this opinion, and I think even if they do, the amount of new business MB will bring in from sales of the C230K will far outweigh the losses from such snobs (and good riddance to snobs, what kinda person wants "snob" associated with them?). Just look at how many in this forum are C230K owners!

Besides, he has limited the snobby buyers to just potential C-class owners, so the damage to MB's bottom line should be minimized if E, S, SL, CL, M, ect.. owners aren't turned away by the C230K being part of the MB line-up.

Old 08-24-2002, 09:11 PM

I think the post here is fair. Whoever started it is indeed a jackass and a troll, but there is value in that sometimes. It causes some to think and creates reason for polite debate.

True, Mercedes is going out on a ledge with this car, but it is certainly not a BMW 318 ti. That thing looked like junk from the moment I looked at it. How much horsepower and airbags does it have?

Times change. The Mercedes C320, might just be the next "Honda Civic" (with all due respect) if you know what I mean.

spankster
Old 08-24-2002, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by spankdoggie

Times change. The Mercedes C320, might just be the next "Honda Civic" (with all due respect) if you know what I mean.

spankster

I think it will be a long, long time before any MB will reach the reliability and upgradeability of a Honda Civic. But quirkyness is what makes me love mine. Have you seen the new CLK, what were they thinking when they designed that cup holder, doesn't hold a candle to the Civic on that one. Who in their right mind would design a cup holder that slides out of the dash underneath the passenger airbag, looks real cheezy on an otherwise beautiful car. I can picture it now, a coke can driven into someones chest after a small parking lot accident.
Old 08-24-2002, 10:44 PM

2002 CL500
Same cup holder is in Nissan Sentra by the way
Old 08-24-2002, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
the ironic thing is that many coupsters denigrate japanese brands... now where's that mirror? :p
Old 08-25-2002, 12:10 AM

2000 300m, 2003 C-Coupe
Imagine paying over $40K for a sedan when the equally competent coupe brother comes along and is only $25K
Buellwinkle, well said.

Can I get a 'hell no!' on this threads existance.
Old 08-25-2002, 01:11 AM
Almost a Member!

C230K, 325iT
How about a poll on psun's ridiculous polls? Better off setting phasers for 'ignore' I guess.
Old 08-25-2002, 01:30 AM
Banned

'01 C240/6
While the question is asked by a troll, and has a lot of troll-stuff in it, I think the basic question is a fairly legitimate one. The US has generally not been too favorable to Hatchbacks, esp. ones that purport to be "higher end." Rightly or wrongly, that's just a fact of US consumer behavior.

Its probably selling ok right now, but that is typical of a lot of newly introduced cars. Will the C Hatchback still be sold in the US in 6 years? No one knows, because no one can predict the future. But I think there is some doubt, unless it is significantly restyled and a 6 cyl engine is offered.

I think the answer will become more clear by the Hatchback's fourth model year. The US sales volume during the 3rd and 4th model years will be very telling.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:26 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally posted by SoCal240/6
While the question is asked by a troll, and has a lot of troll-stuff in it, I think the basic question is a fairly legitimate one. The US has generally not been too favorable to Hatchbacks, esp. ones that purport to be "higher end." Rightly or wrongly, that's just a fact of US consumer behavior.

Its probably selling ok right now, but that is typical of a lot of newly introduced cars. Will the C Hatchback still be sold in the US in 6 years? No one knows, because no one can predict the future. But I think there is some doubt, unless it is significantly restyled and a 6 cyl engine is offered.

I think the answer will become more clear by the Hatchback's fourth model year. The US sales volume during the 3rd and 4th model years will be very telling.
hey SoCal240/6 i am very suprised u did not comment on this guys spelling like......

Old 08-25-2002, 02:38 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
psun786 it sounds like u are very upset u even bought a mercedes because the c coupe. maybe u should just get rid of your car and no worry about what other people have.

the 318Ti basicly just had a BMW badge on the car if u ask me the quality and looks and performance was not BMW.

As for the C coupe the handling is good. Its faster then the C240 manual and auto. and its a better performer all around. if u ask me the cloth looks better in the c coupe than the standard fake looking leather and vinal on the C240. maybe u should comment on the C240 instead of the C230? or maybe u wont wanna talk about it because it looks like your car and the samething other then the engine.

When my car was in for service i once had a C240 and once a C320 and the coupe felt the best to me. the interior peices in the coupe were alot nicer tha the C240 IMHO. and i liked the feel better than the C240 and C320. I only felt a tiny difference in speed from the C320 compared to my coupe. And the coupe felt alot sportier.

When i get out of my C coupe and into my CLK430 i can feel how much they can resemble and how different and alike they are.

The bottom line is the C230 coupe is as much as a mercedes as anyother mercedes model. Weather the price starts lower than some that just normal to not have all the cars priced the same.

My advice to u is to get rid of your C320 and get a Honda Civic.

I would vote NO on the POLL but its not working for me.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:55 AM

5. it is obvious dat MB is trying to use C230k to compete with toyota, honda, mazda, ford's hatchback~ but it could never be done due to its price
i think so too. the price range is fairly close to these japanese models. this will definitely entice the people to buy a c230k thinking they'll move into a higher class.
Old 08-25-2002, 03:00 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by slkride

i think so too. the price range is fairly close to these japanese models. this will definitely entice the people to buy a c230k thinking they'll move into a higher class.
i am not suprised u agree.

How many times does it take for u to answer a question of mine what SLK do u have?
Old 08-25-2002, 03:04 AM

i just took delivery of a slk32. and why am i in the w203 board? cuz i also have a c32.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mb C230 "=" Bmw 318 ?