C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Kleemannized!!! Suspension Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe
Originally posted by KLEEMANN
Removing the wheels makes easier access to the "drop links" which have to be disconnected to swap bars. It is not ENTIRELY required, but will make the job easier and quicker.
Geez... extra investment on jack stands. I was thinking about doing the sway bars without removing the wheels using the ramps I already have.
Old 08-29-2002, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While the car is jacked up and on stands you might as well replace the springs. The rears should be piece of cake. My guess is the fronts come out as one assembly, take it down to a local shop and have them replace the spring and put it back in your car.
Old 08-29-2002, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230k
To do the front springs you will most likely need a spring compressor. You can rent them at any tool rental place for under $50, you might be able to get the jackstands too. The springs are under great pressure and can do some serious damage if they go boing. It's worth a trip to
Pep Boys to have them do it and if your doing that have them do the sways too.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230
I considered doing it all myself, but its only a 2hr job for a pro. For ~ $200US an experienced MB Tech had the car up on a lift (Got to get one of those in my next garage), professionally swapped out the springs and sway bars and (Very Important) returned everything to their original position and adjustment. The main reason I’m not rushing to get an alignment done at this point. He even Torque down everything to the manufacturers specs and used the supplied white grease on the sway bars to insure that my ride remained quite.

For that price it wasn’t worth the risk to me and to my Mercedes if I were to do something wrong. Which is always possible.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:58 PM

C230
I should make one point. I do believe that the sway-bars are a major factor in flattening the car out in the corners, and I have upgraded sway-bars before on other cars without upgrading the suspension. However I have never had one perform like my c-coupe is now. The sway-bars help with right to left sway, but the springs are what is really stabilizing/flattening/stiffening the car. The car doesn’t dive when I brake and the rear doesn’t dip when I accelerate. I think it’s the tighter suspension, from the thicker progressive springs, combined with the sway-bars that is so dramatically effected the performance/handling of my ride in a positive manor. IMHO…

Also should mention that my grandfather, 83, liked it the way I had it before, he says the car looks stupid lower and that a Mercedes is suppose to ride soft. Ohhhh and he say’s I drive to fast.

Still happy with no problems. Suspension is still flat with no squeaks or surprises and the engine actually seems to be running smother with the pulley as each day goes by.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:04 PM

C230
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
While the car is jacked up and on stands you might as well replace the springs. The rears should be piece of cake. My guess is the fronts come out as one assembly, take it down to a local shop and have them replace the spring and put it back in your car.
FYI - The front assembles require a special tool to compress the springs because of the amount of travel that is needed. My dealer says that the tool he used was specifically made for the new c-class front springs only. Kleemann also mentioned that I needed to look for a shop that had the capability of working on the c-coupe front springs as not all shops will have a tool that can safely remove the front springs.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:24 PM

suspension upgrades on the c230k

are the kleeman upgrades done through any dealer? springs; sway bars etc