C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

DIY installation of AVIC Z1 for W203

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02' C230k Sport Coupe
Cool DIY installation of AVIC Z1 for W203

Ok, Sorry for the deceiving title but next weekend I'm going to do my install and I would like to do a DIY (how-to) with this installation. I've never installed an aftermarket radio so I guess I'll be doing a lot of reading, the only "difficult" part will be the wiring so please feel free to give me your suggestions or part numbers (those will be more than welcome). This installation is going to include the famous bypass since it's a July unit. I hope to hear some comments and suggestions before the upcoming weekend. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails DIY installation of AVIC Z1 for W203-dsc00187wm1.jpg   DIY installation of AVIC Z1 for W203-dsc00189bg1.jpg  

Last edited by fanito; 09-04-2006 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:18 PM

2015 E550 Coupe, 2012 E350 4matic Sedan, 2016 fully blown out custom camaro 2SS
Thumbs up

Wow that'll be cool cause I was thinking of doing my own install next month, so good luck with your venture and take plenty of pictures before and after that's the only advice I can give at this time.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
i want one too, but for the sake of keeping the interior clean i think i'll go with OEM. congrats on a great purchase.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
I've been told that this is one of the worst units to instal...I was looking at it when I was choosing a car because the CLk55 didn't have any navi.

The AVIC Z1 is AMAZING though. Much better than the OEM navigation system.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
I've been told that this is one of the worst units to instal...I was looking at it when I was choosing a car because the CLk55 didn't have any navi.

The AVIC Z1 is AMAZING though. Much better than the OEM navigation system.
Pretty much any aftermarket system runs circles around OEMs.

The Z1 is in a league of it's own though.

Erik
Old 09-05-2006, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Does it intergrate well with BOSE?
Old 09-05-2006, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sincity
Does it intergrate well with BOSE?
My N1 works fine with my Bose, including both center + sub.

Erik
Old 09-05-2006, 02:05 AM

Mine 2005 C230 Kompressor, Dad's 2005 ML350
My buddy just put one of those in his STi what a great navi
Old 09-05-2006, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
circuity city says it wont fit?

hey fanito,

i was looking into purchasing this because circuit city has it on sale and does a free installation on it. what confuses me is that they have a option to select your car model to predict a fit, and when i put yours(same as mine) in... it said "no fit"! whats up with that?

refer to the following link:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...c=1&oid=151339

if you have success with the installation, please let me know because i'd much rather sport this navi rather than a new us-spec oem navi which is basically the same price from steve.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:46 AM

C320 Coupe
that's very good! i was hoping to get a Z1 sometimes end of this year, and if there is a DIY that will be awesome!

i've done some research on the unit, i believe you have to put the Microphone and the GPS receiever. I donno how people did it, but they put it on top of the car (outside of the car), and microphone at top where the mirror is.

go to this site, it's great source of info:
http://www.avic411.com

click on forum, tons of good info there =)
Old 09-05-2006, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by powa
i've done some research on the unit, i believe you have to put the Microphone and the GPS receiever. I donno how people did it, but they put it on top of the car (outside of the car), and microphone at top where the mirror is.
Here is where I put mine. The mic(s) {gps + handsfree cell} are on either side of the spedo. Everyone can hear my clearly and my auto exit feature as well as the full use of steering power function works fine.

The GPS was mounted above the center speaker, again no problems.

Erik
Old 09-05-2006, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Alright I got a ton of PMs today so I'm going to post a few facts and fictions.

1. I don't have the Z-1, I have the N-1. I had the 8 & 80DVD prior to the N1 and I can say that without a doubt the quality of the stand alone units are better then the all in one units...but you get what you pay for and most people don't feel like paying $5,000 for GPS.

2. I have the stock BOSE system working with my system. No additional AMP required. All speakers work including center and sub. No, I don't know how they did it, I paid to have it installed.

3. Why haven't I bought the Z1 yet? I just don't feel like spending the money right now. My N1 works fine, I can navi, watch movies, ipod, sirius, xm, 6-cd. The only thing the Z1 has that mine doesn't is the updated navi gui + intelligent navi + the hard drive (which ill never use). Yes, its the ultimate GPS...I'll wait 7 months and get it for 50% of the selling price today. GPS is like cars, they hold very little value and picking it up when it goes off the market is the best time.

4. Yes, mine is bypassed. I just had to ground the parking wire. I have no errors on the car or the system. Everything functions as it should.

5. No, I don't have the illumination wire done. I didn't want it, I don't like night maps.

6. No, I don't have the VSS wire done. MBUSA couldn't tell the installer where to look and pioneer didn't know either. The GPS works fine and is very accurate. VSS is only a secondary system anyway.

7. I don't have Bluetooth handsfree. Why not? I have 2 cell phones I use all day long, a Treo and a RAZR. They don't play well with each other and bluetooth handsfree so I have built in solutions with the hard-wired mic. Sorry for the confusion.

8. Yes, I added the voice kit to my N1. I think its built into the Z1 but it was an option on the N1. I can talk to it as it can talk to me. Yes, it hears me fine where I mounted it.

9. Where is the brain, ipod, xm, sirius IP-BUS modules mounted? Under the passanger footrest. If you pull up the carpet you have foam that can be removed. This was for RHD cars so they save money. Everything fits under there and nobody sees anything. No, it doesn't overheat...I have over 60,000 miles and driven across the country. No fire, ho heat, no smell, no BS.

10. Installation (pro) should be free or at most a few hundred. Anyone who wants more is ripping you off. Most places will install free if you buy the unit from them (less parts such as faceplates). Yes, it fits in flush and perfect. Mine is a pop-out unit (I'd rather a pop-out for theft purposes, another reason im hesitant of the Z1).

11. MB has never said a word about the unit. I put it in the day I got the car, it went right to the shop and was there for a few days getting installed (other things were installed at the same time causing delay). They told me that they wouldn't honor any radio warranty issues, but everything else, electric seats, etc, will be honored and was honored.

12. Yes, my unit broke. About 11 months after purchase it had a hard time pulling in and out. I had 3 year extended warranty anyway. Called up pioneer, sent unit in, within 2 days I had a new unit. Worked fine since. I used it a lot and as I said before the all-in ones are not as well made as the stand alone units. Then again it was under $2,000 so what do you expect.

This is my third Pioneer GPS in the benz, my fifth or sixth Pioneer GPS overall. I've noticed quality drop as price drops. Its a give and take. I would still take the worst pioneer over the best OEM anyday.

Good luck with the install.

Erik
Old 09-07-2006, 09:36 PM

2013 E350 Bluetec, 2008 Audi S4 Avant, 2011 VW Golf TDI, 2015 Audi S3, 2020 GLB250
This thread might help on the speed sensor wire.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...t=speed+sensor

Look at post #10 and below.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
hey fanito,

any updates on the installation?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:16 PM

I would check out http://avic411.com/forum/
I have been on this board since it first started and they have many hacks for the Z1. I was planning to go Z1 but decided to go carputer, but the Z1 is still a sweet unit. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:45 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 GL450
Installer in the Southwest Florida Area?

Hi,
Anyone out there in the Southwest Florida area (Fort Myers, Naples, Sarasota) who has installed the Z1 to a 2002 C320?
Thanks,
John
Old 09-12-2006, 11:12 PM

02' C230k Sport Coupe
patience, patience, this weekend is the weekend... I already have everything I need to get started so saturday morning I will be a very busy boy.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:47 PM

2009 C63 AMG Steel Gray
fanito,

Best of luck to you! I just had my Z1 installed by a shop and have one nagging issue. FM reception. I have none. Prior to the install it was great. I can't even get a good signal on the strongest (crappy station) signal in my area.

They upgraded to an amplified antenna adapter, and still nothing.

I suspect that there is a built in antenna amplifier that is no longer getting power. The stock radio was removed (obviously), but I didn't see any power being sent to the any of the original leads.

I'm very curious to see how your installation goes. Please keep us posted!

FYI, I didn't have the VSS line connected, and the unit is still very accurate (previously in an STI with VSS -- not a huge difference). Installation is tight with all of the wires back there.

Ohh. One last point. You should use the American International installation kit (not Metra or Scosche). The part number is MBK100C.

Last edited by OCJeff; 09-14-2006 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:13 AM

02' C230k Sport Coupe
Jeff

Thanks for the input. There is an adapter for the antenna but to be honest with you I have XM so I really wasn't going to bother, I did buy 2 kits, metra and American International, by far (far,far,far) I recommend the American international because it comes with additional parts and fits better. I already took the first pics with a before and after the dremel session
Old 09-15-2006, 06:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
Originally Posted by OCJeff
fanito,

Best of luck to you! I just had my Z1 installed by a shop and have one nagging issue. FM reception. I have none. Prior to the install it was great. I can't even get a good signal on the strongest (crappy station) signal in my area.

They upgraded to an amplified antenna adapter, and still nothing.

I suspect that there is a built in antenna amplifier that is no longer getting power. The stock radio was removed (obviously), but I didn't see any power being sent to the any of the original leads.

I'm very curious to see how your installation goes. Please keep us posted!

FYI, I didn't have the VSS line connected, and the unit is still very accurate (previously in an STI with VSS -- not a huge difference). Installation is tight with all of the wires back there.

Ohh. One last point. You should use the American International installation kit (not Metra or Scosche). The part number is MBK100C.
The antenna is supposedly an amplified antenna. The Z1 should have a blue/white wire in it's harness (as it was in my 9800BT) that is a 12V "trigger" or "Antenna Relay" wire. This should be attached to the antenna power wire (A5 on my Audio 10 wiring diagram labeled "Automatic Antenna Control"). That's how it worked on mine, and I get the same antenna reception as before, though I don't use it either .

Audio 10 Wiring Diagram

Last edited by jedcred; 09-15-2006 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Corrections
Old 09-15-2006, 06:30 PM

2009 C63 AMG Steel Gray
Thanks all!

I called around, and searched google like never before, and found the problem. It's just what you mentioned.

The installation shop only tapped GROUND, IGNITION, and PWR from the stock connectors. They did not connect the existing "turn on lead" to enable the radio amplifier (and also Bose amp, which is now disconnected).

What's odd is that the turn on lead is a small black wire. Refer to the following for additional information (links I found during my search):

http://www.budget.net/%7esura/Audio10PinOuts.pdf (not complete, but a good start for wiring behind the stock radio - Same as previous post)

http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=24979 (helped me connect +12V to a black wire )